iPad Who is skipping on the new iPads because theirs is perfectly good

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Oct 3, 2014.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

I am thinking I will skip. I have an Air and it works perfectly on iOS 8.0.2 and I see no real reason to upgrade. I already have a plus so touch id is only valid if I need security which i dont need on iPad air if I keep it home and I intend to use Apple pay on my iPhone Plus. Anyone else skipping the upgrade this year because Touch ID and an upgraded Camera will be the only things which it seems will be upgraded apart from the standard spec upgrade.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I have the iPad Mini 1st gen. Unless something spectacular is shown on the 16th, I'll be skipping this year.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Probably will be the first time I've skipped a model since the original. The iPad Air is awesome. I can't think of anything I need or want to be changed. Plus, the particular one I have has a perfect display.

The camera is good enough when I'm too lazy to pick up my phone, and I wouldn't carry the iPad around to use it for Apple Pay (assuming the next rev gets NFC). I have a 5s and will most likely get an :apple:Watch, which will cover the Apple Pay feature.

OTOH, if I just can't live without whatever-comes-next, I can still sell a year old iPad for a significant part of the new one's price. That worked great last year going from iPad 4 to the Air.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

We never know though. Apple could come out with something amazing that will have us changing our minds :D:D:D

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Same here. Mine still works perfectly fine.

6. itjw macrumors 65816

Apple is slowly painting themselves into a corner with yearly releases. They need to slow down the churn cycle to maybe a year and half to two years, otherwise it's gotten to the point where you'll see a lot of people just waiting.

Saturation is so high, and exciting features so few and far between...

I dunno. My rmini is damn near perfect. It runs flawlessy, is jailbroken, and I have another year+ of AC+ on it too. Why should I upgrade? TouchID/NFC? For a device that almost never leaves my house/car? A faster processor on something that already runs everything perfectly anyway? Gold color (lol)? A better camera that I'll never use?

No thanks. If it's compelling, maybe, but we all know it's probably not going to be anything more than what I just discussed.

Even the iPhone (which arguably, besides screen size, was the least revolutionary advance in model history (sans S models of course) had features that make it worthwhile.

What on the new iPads is so compelling? Am I missing something?

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I will also not be upgrading this time around.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It's funny. My iPhone 3G, 4, 5 were ALL working perfectly fine and I still upgraded every 2 years. I guess we just think differently when it comes to phones than we do with Tablets. :)

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

If the ram doesn't get bumped then I see no need to upgrade. My Air is flawless and Touch ID is useless to me.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This is a Apple forum filled with enthusiasts and most of us aren't upgrading! :eek: Imagine how low the upgrade numbers will be to the general public that isn't all jolly and enthusiastic about Apple products!

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Mmm, I just upgrade when stuff breaks.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Really? I have never had a single Apple product of mine break. I just like upgrading for the hell of it.

13. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I love my iPad Air - spend my money on Apple watch

14. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I'm with others. I have a 32gb iPad Air and see nothing compelling to upgrade this time around. This will be a first for me since I've owned every iPad at one time or another since the 2. My iPad stays at home so the touch ID doesn't do anything for me.

Now i might go with a new iPad mini as it would be a travel device. I don't have an iPhone so a mini with cellular would be my phone. Touch ID would be very good on the mini.

15. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get the new iPad Pro. If there's even gonna be one... And sell my iPad Air

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

An iPad Pro would be the only thing that would get me to buy a new iPad this year.

17. bobright macrumors 601

I'm perfectly fine with my iPad 2 who needs a lighter and faster iPad and TouchID is so lame LOL

18. srshaw macrumors 6502

I've got an ipad 3. Can't see myself upgrading since for what I use it for it works fine. The only thing I would upgrade for is a bigger screen, like I'm about to upgrade my iphone 4 for a 6 plus.

19. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I'll probably be waiting just like I'm skipping this years iPhones.

I did sell my iPad Air yesterday and am keeping my 128GB Retina Mini.

20. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Not sure yet. I'm very happy with my iPad Air and rMini, but if there is some new feature that I can't live without - never say never.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

That's what I'm banking on! I want Apple to take my money!

22. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

I'm I'm the same boat

Same here, thinking of just sticking with my iPad 4, it is running iOS 8.0.2 beautifully, and is proving to be a true workhorse at work, so I am very happy with it. Unless Apple bring an iPad with 2GB RAM, Multi-window, same design and a styour, I'll be keeping my iPad 4 for another year or so.

23. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Got my rMini last year as soon as I could -- supplies of the configuration I wanted were limited, so it took about a week after they were officially available.

Even with the gamutgate issues, I've loved my rMini from the day I brought it home, and I can't imagine upgrading to this year's model. I also have an iPad 3 that works perfectly fine, even with iOS 8, and my family uses that now that I finally have an iPad that is all mine. The only concern I have for getting another 2 or more years out of the devices is RAM. But it remains to be seen how much of an issue that will present in future releases of iOS or apps.

24. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Love my Air - but have become incredibly lazy, with TouchID on my 5S... The schlep (1st world problems) of having to keycode unlock it, might just see me upgrading sooner...

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

A Pro would definitely get my attention. But I'm also holding out for a new Mac Mini or something which my wallet would prefer. :p