Who is the most powerful, yet diversified business entity in the world?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Who, besides Gates, is the most powerful and diversified?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2008.
  1. Richard Branson, owner of 100s of companies/startups

26.3%
  2. Paul Allen, co-founder Microsoft and one who quietly has a hand in a lot of ventures

15.8%
  3. Carlyle Group-UPX

10.5%
  4. Ted Turner, eccentric billionaire

15.8%
  5. Pepsico

15.8%
  6. Steve Jobs of Apple Inc., Pixar, Disney, Next

15.8%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was wondering, besides the evil empire of Bill G, who you think is the most powerful person/group, yet also is very diversified, and innovative?

And not just current net worth, but also potential and social utility or lack of for the future in the fields of fast food, franchising, space travel, entertainment, high tech, education, military contracting, world peace, etc.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

GE?

Not sure if any of them are really evil though. Even MS.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mothers. Clean up your room, call me when you leave home, s/he's not good enough for you...

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

When I was in business school, one professor told us that mothers have the most power over the human race. They largely shape who we become. I should have put that as an option on the poll.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

In all seriousness, mothers. They can (collectively) utterly destroy or glorify business', don't get on the wrong side of mothers.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

God jesus
    =
    susej dog

Thus: All hail the great sausage dog :D

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I looked at both's holdings and found that neither were just "soda" companies, and though, at times, Coke sells more sodas, Pepsico was out of the gate first for diversifying their assets.

There is a reason Apple Computer with the two Steves took a former Pepsico exec. to bring Apple into the big time. Pepsico had reach in many industries and connections from their well known diversification. Some argue that this was maybe not the best approach for Apple Inc and the new company may have remained a steadier company, vs. the roller coaster company that it is known for from the late 70s/early 80s to the second coming of Jobs, if it had remained the two Steves from the start.

Nobody knows for sure, but I think it's more complex than the two Steves vs. bringing in the Pepsico dude. Guy Kawasaki was instrumental in bringing in a lot of investors who never considered high tech, CEO Gil Amelio decided that using a more expensive chip, from a company Apple no longer thought they could afford, but with a fast and large L2 cache was crucial in the 1990s vs. turning, let's say to AMD or Intel, and many, many other factors, people, etc.

Pepsico is almost "the" brand name for a company that expands its reaches into every possible area, and/or buys smaller octopuses with dangling tentacles. However, sometimes reaching too far is not good and all you have to do is ask AIG and Citibank. :)

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

reach into every possible area ? i recommend a look at GE or Siemens what they are doing

Siemens is building nuclear power plants, sell LCD monitors, electric shavers, kitchen tools, washing machines, electric trains, central heating pumps, lightbulbs, all sorts of medical systems, etc.

in fact it's very likely easier to name products using/producing electricity who currently aren't produced by Siemens or haven't been produced by them over the time

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Catholic church or the Chinese government...

'Rat

14. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Exxon Mobil
    Berkshire Hathaway

but it's obviously Pierce Inverarity. He owns 51% of everything in the world.

15. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

GE will probably go bankrupt soon.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This company is pretty darn big too I might add. I think something needs to be said for the second/third richest man in the world at one point.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

GE will not be going bankrupt anytime soon.

It's stock has taken hits because of its banking arm, but GE has its hands in almost every industry on the face of the planet. Many of them are recession resistant, and will probably help to pick up the slack. Even if GE were to lose some money over the next few years, the company itself has billions in assets and cash to sustain it.

That said, I would probably go with GE myself. You can't get much more diversified than that.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well he was the richest on the last Forbes list. Carlos Slim Helu is number 2, while Gatesy is 3rd.

If you're talking about "powerful", there are companies more powerful than GE. I think Microsoft and Intel are powerful, and am surprised that they're not richer than they are today. However, they're not as diversified as GE. Nearly everything we do runs on their product, and I'm not just talking about what you do on your own personal computer. I'm talking about everything you do on the net, everything you buy, every movie you watch,.....everything.

If GE stopped making peanut butter, or started making really inferior peanut butter, the world wouldn't end. If Intel and Microsoft started making flawed hardware and software, that would affect a great deal of processes in the world.

19. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I find it difficult to believe too but some very intelligent people (Peter Schiff) believe differently. GE is diversified but most of their businesses are in the US, making it not diversified in one important aspect. It is known as the quintessentially American company. And the upcoming decline in the dollar will eclipse the fallout from the housing crisis. If you asked people 3-4 years ago if they thought Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual would fail, they would have looked at you as if you were crazy. I'm not saying I believe GE will fail for sure; I'm just saying I think it's a very real possibility.

20. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Berkshire is allocating a lot of assets as we speak to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as Buffet knows his days are numbered on the planet. He knows that his own good deeds can be governed well by Gates' foundation and that Gates himself has a goal to give away 99% percent of his wealth before he himself dies, which I find unlikely if Buffet gives his cash to Gates. This is the one year Gates was not on top but the Berkshire "giveaway" to Gates not only makes Buffet the good guy, but avoids taxes like crazy.

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

The Catholic church. They have material riches beyond comprehension. And their wealth is extremely diversified, including massive real estate in nearly every country on the planet, mountains of gold and silver, priceless antiquities, and much more. And they have nearly limitless revenue sources, and their operations are entirely tax exempt, and their grasp reaches to almost every corner of the globe.

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Their wealth is approaching a trillion dollars, but since their assets are so high, it's hard to gauge with any accuracy. Is a trillion the equivalent of 1,000 billion dollars? Crazy rich if you ask me.

Believe it or not, BG is on course to hit that amount (under the theory of Buffet help, as mentioned above, and possible stock market resurgence in next 7 years which may be likely, to reach that trillion mark as an individual.

If Gates lives to the theoretical age of 103, he will be worth one quadrillion dollars. Can he give some love to Apple? :)

23. Queso macrumors G4

BHP Billiton. They can basically dictate the prices of a number of essential commodities, and therefore influence every industrialised nation on the planet.

24. nick9191 macrumors 68040