Who is thinking about getting a imac g5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NusuniAdmin, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    Who here is thinking about getting an imac g5. Yes i know the specs have not been released but i have heard many people talk about getting one.

    I have been mildly looking at getting one ,assuming the low end price remains 1299 (or goes lower :) ). It would be so nice if they will be shown at paris expo in august and then shipped the first (or even second) week of september.

    I still think the low end will be 1.6 ghz and high end will be around 1.8 ghz....a 17" screen and 64 meg vram on the low end would also be nice...but thats probly asking to much :(
  2. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO
    64 ? that's the same as the low end powermac.....
  3. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    ya i know...but still.....32 is getting to the point ever so slowely were it does not cut it.
  4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus


    Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    The new iMacs will (in my opinion) have to meet the specs for Core Image and Core Video. I don't see how they can't. So that could place the video card to be at least semi decent... not 8 jillion frames per second on Doom 3 or anything but... not terrible.

    I'm contemplating getting one depending on the form factor. I'm waiting for the iMac to come out so I can choose between a low end PowerMac G5 or a high end iMac G5. Form factor does mean a lot to me sadly enough.
  5. clcnyc macrumors regular


    Jan 6, 2004
    I am

    granted I can get someone to take over my Apple Loan for my current iMac 17" 1GHz :rolleyes:
  6. LeeTom macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2004
    I am going to get an iMac G5 for my mom.

    Lee Tom
  7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a


    Jan 15, 2004
    been holding off buying an imac or emac in hopes of a G5...SO, I will be purchasing a G5.

    It wouldn't make sense for them to use hardware that can't handle Tiger...or would it??!?!?!
  8. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I think it is hard to give a definate Yes or no on this subject. Seeing as how almost no one knows:

    A: Specs
    B: Cost
    C: Form factor

    Those are some major things to be considering.

    I will say that I would love to buy an iMac G5, but it needs to look good, and have some power to it. I wish Apple hadn't of run out of the current iMac FP, as I really like the design.

    Here is to a iMac G5 that is as dazzling as the current one!
  9. ebook macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World

    I haven't decided yet if I want to get the new iMac. Until recently I was counting down the days until I was able to replace my iMac G3 500, but then I heard people complaining about the sometimes problem of Rev. A machines. Now, I've been considering getting a used G4 Power Book and selling both my iBook and iMac. Then I would wait for the Rev. B iMac and just use the Power Book. But, I'll have to talk that over with my wife and see if she can live without a computer at home all day for quite some time (I guess I don't know how long it will take for the Rev. B iMac).

    So, I guess my answer is maybe. Also, it's a maybe that could be changed to a yes if I change my mind about worrying about Rev. A's.
  10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000


    Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I possibly will sell my G4 iMac and buy a G5 iMac only if the design is more amazing than the G4's. I absolutely love the design of the G4 iMac and will not part with it unless Apple can do something more with the G5 iMacs.
  11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603


    Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Built my own iMac

    I basically had to build my own iMac using existing G5 components from Apple and pretend its my G5 iMac. I didn't need the PCI slots but they came 'free'.

    Here is the link:
  12. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    I was going to have my dad get a g4 tower (i really want the extra drive expandability and such) but dunno if ill wait and get an imac g5 instead.

    Actually a little off topic (sorry macrumors demi gods and users :p ) but does anyone here have the 1.25 ghz powermac, and if so does it suffer from the extreme noises the dual 1.25 ghz ones have?
  13. Elan0204 macrumors 65816


    Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    If the price is right (as in around the same or cheaper compared to the old iMac), I will definitely consider it. I don't really need portability right now, so a desktop will suit me nicely.

Share This Page