Who is worried about scratching their RMBP Display. Should i get a screen protector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bsen4961, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

bsen4961 Guest

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been running on the same MBP screen for over 4 years and it still looks new. If you take care of any Mac notebook, you don't need a screen protector. If you want to use one, that's fine, but it's not necessary.

3. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Nope, and silly.

4. bsen4961 thread starter Guest

Thanks for your reply I would rather not have a screen protector over such a nice display. Is your macbook glossy or anti glare?

----------

Is the display glass? i know it doesn't have a cover glass.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mine is anti-glare.
    Yes, the MBPR display is glass.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design/

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

No need for a screen protector. It will just spoil the awesome screen.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't be so OCD. Unless you are taking your machine into a war zone or loaned to a gorilla it's going to be fine. Clean it with a micro cloth, not a Brillo pad & use glass cleaner w/o ammonia or alcohol.

8. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I must admit that when I heard that the front of the Retina MacBook Pro was the display glass, I was somewhat concerned.

But then I realised that the matte MacBook Pros or the glossy MacBooks I've been using for years, have also been unprotected LCDs, and I've never experienced any problem with them at all, so I doubt it's going to be an issue.

And if you think about it, while the Glossy MacBook Pros have a pane of glass over the LCD, it's not replaceable, so if that was scratched or damaged in some other way, it would be just as problematic.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I ordered a Shaggymac screen protector. That's just a cloth that's sized to cover the entire keyboard and palmrest. You're supposed to put it on top of the keyboard to stop the keys from touching the screen when the lid is closed- it's not a traditional screen protector (something that you stick onto the screen).

The keyboard on my old MacBook Air left key-shaped marks on the screen when the lid was closed and I don't want that to happen again.

10. SkilletZA macrumors newbie

SkilletZA

I had this happen to 2 of my 15" RMBP displays. Apple replaced both under warranty. Also just ordered the ShaggyMax protector. Don't want to push my luck with Apple.

11. goMac macrumors 603

It's glass. Why use a screen protector? If something happens that is strong enough to damage glass, a screen protector is going to be useless anyway. It's like covering a kevlar vest with a paper bag.

12. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Should I be concerned that my keys are leaving marks on my screen when laptop closed? Is this a future problem?

My laptop also registers clicks on the touchpad when the lid is closed. I do not put anything on the MAC.

LATE 15 rmbp.