Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
And why. I have put out a few discreet feelers as to who and why and have not gotten an answer. Anyone???

I spoke with Lacero and he? suggested that I just start a new one as the old one may have gotten too big. I don't want to do this just to have it get trashed again so please let me know.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It was another spam hole, so I killed it. It served its purpose and then, it was used for whatever else...everything else.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
"Who killed Cock Robin?"
"I," said the Sparrow,
"With my bow and arrow, I killed Cock Robin."

"Who saw him die?"
"I," said the Fly,
"With my little eye, I saw him die."

"Who caught his blood?"
"I," said the Fish,
"With my little dish, I caught his blood."

"Who'll make the shroud?"
"I," said the Beetle,
"With my thread and needle, I'll make the shroud."

"Who'll dig his grave?"
"I," said the Owl,
"With my pick and shovel, I'll dig his grave."

"Who'll be the parson?"
"I," said the Rook,
"With my little book, I'll be the parson."

"Who'll be the clerk?"
"I," said the Lark,
"If it's not in the dark, I'll be the clerk."

"Who'll carry the link?"
"I," said the Linnet,
"I'll fetch it in a minute, I'll carry the link."

"Who'll be chief mourner?"
"I," said the Dove,
"I mourn for my love, I'll be chief mourner."

"Who'll carry the coffin?"
"I," said the Kite,
"If it's not through the night, I'll carry the coffin."

"Who'll bear the pall?
"We," said the Wren,
"Both the cock and the hen, we'll bear the pall."

"Who'll sing a psalm?"
"I," said the Thrush,
"As she sat on a bush, I'll sing a psalm."

"Who'll toll the bell?"
"I," said the bull,
"Because I can pull, I'll toll the bell."

All the birds of the air fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
When they heard the bell toll for poor Cock Robin.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
bousozoku said:
It was another spam hole, so I killed it. It served its purpose and then, it was used for whatever else...everything else.

I have to disagree. It did start to get out of hand a little while ago but Doctor Q reined it in and had it pretty well under control (limiting it to two posts per day etc etc etc). Obviously it was a very popular thread as it was posted in multiple times every day. In my opinion it is scary that one person can have that kind of power. In your opinion it was a "Spam Hole" but what about the rest of the mods and the community in general? I can see killing a thread if there is something illegal/sexual about it, but just because they believe it is a "Spam Hole" is not (once again In my opinion) a good reason to kill a thread.

One other thing. The gay way thread just got closed therby maintaining the post counts of everyone who posted there however the picture association thread got wastelanded thereby trashing a lot of peoples postcounts. If we can't open it back up can we at least move it out of the wasteland and mark it as closed?

Also even tho I disagree with the decision I will respect it.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I thought the Picture Association thread was good always interesting to see how other people view pictures and relate to them

Sure some people just added pictures that in my view had nothing to do whatsoever with the previous picture but it wa still interesting all the same.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
watcher2001 said:
I have to disagree. It did start to get out of hand a little while ago but Doctor Q reined it in and had it pretty well under control (limiting it to two posts per day etc etc etc). Obviously it was a very popular thread as it was posted in multiple times every day. In my opinion it is scary that one person can have that kind of power. In your opinion it was a "Spam Hole" but what about the rest of the mods and the community in general? I can see killing a thread if there is something illegal/sexual about it, but just because they believe it is a "Spam Hole" is not (once again In my opinion) a good reason to kill a thread.

One other thing. The gay way thread just got closed therby maintaining the post counts of everyone who posted there however the picture association thread got wastelanded thereby trashing a lot of peoples postcounts. If we can't open it back up can we at least move it out of the wasteland and mark it as closed?

Also even tho I disagree with the decision I will respect it.

You're not worried about a lot of people's post counts. In fact, two people contributed a lot to the thread. One person lost 329 out of his total of 527 posts and another lost 198 out of a total of 577 at that time.

It almost makes good sense to remove Community Discussion from adding to post counts to keep people from spamming. Thanks for the idea.

It wasn't just my decision. I just took care of it.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
bousozoku said:
You're not worried about a lot of people's post counts. In fact, two people contributed a lot to the thread. One person lost 329 out of his total of 527 posts and another lost 198 out of a total of 577 at that time.

It almost makes good sense to remove Community Discussion from adding to post counts to keep people from spamming. Thanks for the idea.

jezz 329 posts in one thread

perhaps it wasn't a bad thing to be removed.....

i mean who here actually read all 100+ pages?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
bousozoku said:

How do you actually find out how many posts you have in a cetain thread?

I tried to figure it out but couldn't

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Click on the number next to the thread saying how many posts it has in total and a pop up should then show you who posted there in order of post count. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
bousozoku said:

You want to talk to mudbug about that, should be interesting to see what would happen to the top posters when the Community Forum is removed from post counts. :eek:

Been awhile since it was archived also, might be time to do it again and clear out a couple years of posts -- then turn off the post counts in Community Discussion. ;)

Lot's of Official/I'm Bored Spam threads lately.

Edit: Of course a lot of people would have serious trouble getting enough posts for the Political Section and/or the Marketplace without the Community Forum. :D

Which means more spam everywhere else. :(

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Sun Baked said:
You want to talk to mudbug about that, should be interesting to see what would happen to the top posters when the Community Forum is removed from post counts. :eek:

Been awhile since it was archived also, might be time to do it again and clear out a couple years of posts -- then turn off the post counts in Community Discussion. ;)

Edit: Of course a lot of people would have serious trouble getting enough posts for the Political Section and/or the Marketplace without the Community Forum. :D

If the community discussion session is dropped i think i may end up with about three posts left:confused: . I hope it isn't, only becasue i like to think i contribute more than just know it all stuff about macs, mostly becasue i just don't have the knowledge to answer them

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
bousozoku said:
I guess you're having a dig at me but I don't care it was never the post count, honest, I just enjoyed coming home from work after a frustrating day/night and interacting with people sorry if it annoys people. I do occasionally post to Mac related interests.

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
Same here. It's midterm season for me, and the thread helped me to unwind from the unending bevy of papers that I am having to write.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
barneygumble said:
How do you actually find out how many posts you have in a cetain thread?

I tried to figure it out but couldn't

Click on the number of replies outside of the thread.

Sun Baked said:

I might. I don't know. I'm having a major headache about various threads right now. I don't mind being the evil moderator but I don't see things getting better when spam is shifted from one place to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.