Who messed up, Warren/Faye or Price Waterhouse?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Feb 26, 2017.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

At the Oscars, either Warren and Faye wrongly read "La La Land" or Price Waterhouse put the wrong card in the envelope.

WTF?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was just about to post about this since I'm still at a loss for what really happened. Emma said she had her envelope. Warren read the card but he knew something was wrong. I'm seeing reports that they have duplicate cards for each category.

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    When they first came out on stage, I watched Faye and Warren and thought, "gee, he hasn't aged well and he seems a little...doddery, a little confused." Then when he fumbled with the envelope and then stood there gawking at the card for so long I thought, "maybe it's dementia setting in and he really cannot read what is on the card....." Announcement was made, people started heading to the stage...... Then during the one guy's acceptance speech for "La La Land" I realized that there seemed to be an unusual amount of activity behind him, even allowing for the fact there were a bunch of people up there on stage; when I suddenly saw a guy with techie headgear out there, too, I thought, "OK, something is really not right here....." Even so, when the announcement was made that the Best Picture award was actually supposed to go to "Moonlight," my jaw dropped open and I stared in astonishment. Aieeeee!!! What a colossal snafu!

Warren's attempt to explain things didn't really help; what he or Faye should have done if in fact they saw that the card was the one naming the Best Actress and her film rather than the one for Best Picture, was to have immediately said, "oops, looks like someone gave us the wrong envelope, wrong card!" and waited until the correct one was brought out to them before making any announcement about the actual winner in the Best Picture category. I guess Warren was too confused and Faye didn't really grasp the situation so neither of them had the presence of mind to do that.

I'd be surprised if it were PWC (Price Waterhouse Coopers) who put the wrong card into the envelope marked "Best Picture," but I suppose it IS possible. More likely someone handed Faye and Warren the wrong envelope in the first place, especially if there were duplicates for each category. Anyway, this certainly made for a surprise ending to the show!

4. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I'm thinking the mistake was something card-related.

He said the card had "Emma Stone" written on it as well as "La La Land"

But why would the Best Picture card also have the name of a single actor/actress on it?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

ABC has a still that says best actress on the envelope.

6. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Yep! I just noticed that:

[​IMG]

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Both- who ever handed the card to Beatty and... Fay Dunaway. :D See post 14 here. Or check out this video directly.

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Wrong envelope ... but, the presenters should've hit the brakes, excused the confusion and cross checked with the support staff vs. just reading it.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The show was running over 30 mins long and I think Warren was told to speed it up. Plus I would have probably announced it too. How many best picture envelopes get screwed up.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Does it ever not run overtime?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Always, but usually never way over 30.

Great shot from the LA Times the moment the wheels fell off.
    la-1488200434-8efurbluz7-snap-photo.jpg