who or what is the antichrist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Aug 26, 2007.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

when i was a kid i saw the omen and was convinced the antichrist was going to be a single person, possibly a us president or close associate (ralph reed, carville, nancy reagan, hillary clinton, tip o'neil, gingrich, karl rove?)

the idea of ronald wilson reagan (six letters in each name) came to mind and so did gorbachev with his "mark" on his forehead...and those were both popular theories at the time

then i expanded my belief to possibly include a person and his movement like bin laden and his terrorists, mao and his cultural revolution, hitler and the nazi party, or a "christian" who is part of a rich and huge political movement bent on dividing christians into separate camps

some don't believe in an actual antichrist

i have heard others suggest that maybe it's just an idea

i recently saw a special show on the history channel about different viewpoints of the antichrist and i thought it was interesting and brought about a lot of conversation much the way the movie the omen did

what do you think?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you do not acknowledge the divinity of Christ, there can be no antiChrist. They are both ideas dreamed up to frighten small children.

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It might be George Walker Bush, but I guess he got stuck at 664, not knowing what comes next... :p

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

hi s,

jefhatfield here

i believe jesus is god, but will that make the antichrist satan on earth, or just an agent of satan?

i have often wondered about that one, too...but either way the antichrist is a very scary subject

from the popular christian beliefs to followers being spared the wrath of the antichrist by being taken up into the clouds vs. christians facing real persectution from the antichrist, the latter, unfortunately is what i think is going to happen

whether it is next year or 10,000 years from now, i have no idea...and i don't plan to predict the end times as that has been the case throughout christian history from the very beginning

nostradamus and the mayan calendar are interesting predicting the end of civilization, but i don't believe either one though i find the theories fascinating the same way i do wwe at times, which i know is not real

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And apparently large children from the looks of it so far. I'm looking forward to see where this thread goes. So far it's delivering :).

6. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If God exists, then the anti-christ is an absence of God.

If God does not exist, then the anti-christ is another absence of reason.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't know about the AntiChrist, but here is the AntiCrufts, the absence of grooming:

h.jpg

Scary little bugger, isn't he?

8. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

a) they just of late reinterpreted the greek translation of the scriptures and the number actually turned out to be 616!:eek::eek::eek::eek:which made a bunch of dumbasses with tattoos very upset! erasure very uncomfortable. b) i am the anti-christ! leave me alone already!!!! all this internet buzz is giving me a major migraine.:p

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Jesus never talked about his antithesis, this was a concept invented by his overexcited followers. If you have no idea what an antichrist is, then how can you seriously fear it? It's like the "War on Terror", where "Terror" is not an enemy: it's just an emotive portmanteau term. Think Marlon Brando in The Wild One: "What are you rebelling against, Johnny?" "Whadda you got?"

10. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

"emotive portmanteau" you keep using such illuminating terminology and your gonna start losing some of us... niceness. forgot i even knew that word you bugger.:D

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

yes, i believe this is now the consensus of biblical scholars

a couple of other things will have to happen besides heavy metal and punk musicians getting painful redos:

if this were the 1980s, i guess it would have to be ronald w reagan :)

and today, poor ozzy osbourne will have to do a major remodel of his house :)

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The antichrist is the demon with the number 666 that will bring the end days into motion but as well as the anti christ there will be these signs:

>The nations of the world must unify their currency onto a universal standard.
    >There will be peace in Israel (Ezekiel 38).
    >There will be a one-world government, to correspond to the 7th beast of >Revelation, prior to the Antichrist's 8th beast government.
    >The Jewish temple in Jerusalem must be rebuilt in its original place.
    >Observance of Old Testament commandments concerning animal sacrifices must be reinstated.
    >There will be a great falling away and the AntiChrist will be revealed

The end times, will conclude in the rapture when all christians will go off to Heaven as Jesus descends to earth for the second time.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

He really actually does :rolleyes:

15. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

the attributes of the anti christ, from the bible, and many other sources, seem to indicate it may be a major leader, like for the usa

while the politcal/religious movement of conservative christianity, arms, oil, and bigotry seem to fit the mold of an antichrist movement (akin to pharisees and saducees), their leader george w bush, seems to lack the charisma and the brains to be mr. antichrist...he fights to get an approval rating over 30 percent

as much as i don't like the gop, the only charismatic types of candidates i see out there are edwards and obama...smart, confident, and well liked as people by members of both parties

in the 1980s, reagan was that type of man...many democratic opponents on the hill may not have liked his policies per se, but they liked the man, and reagan was very willing to compromise and sometimes give the democrats more than they asked for

our local former congressman leon panetta (d) repeated this fact quite often

of course, ronald's nightly drinks with democratic leader tip o'neil may have had something to do with that....he he...get ronny a tad bit drunk, you know :) ... and he will put out more than a whole cadre of drunk girls at mardi gras

16. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

And we will all have Simpsons' based avatars:eek:

17. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Ok funny guy, i,m watching you. R.R. was amazingly brilliant for such a 'dimwit'. You don"t get to be a leader of the free world by being stupid. and in hindsight, despite some of his rhetoric, i do have to give the old dodger some props.

18. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

that actually can be debated...i think us christians will suffer like the apostles did...and many churches, orthodox, catholic, and protestant are split on this

the first church i regularly attended, calvary chapel (really big in southern cal) was split down the middle...and on the issue of tongues in this day and age (but that's yet another issue)

i have seen first hand what can happen to evangelists as i was a missionary in belfast...but to keep from boring the rest of the thread, please pm me

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since the Book of Revelation was in all probability a coded attack on the Roman Empire, I fail to see what sense there is in appropriating its dire and fantastical language to a prophecy for our time.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is indeed. I'm kind of surprised that you were discussing cunnilingus in church, but then I guess anything goes in SoCal. :)

Sorry, I seem to be having trouble taking this topic seriously.

21. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Yep, It's true!

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

that used to be the case, ever heard of george w bush ;)

23. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

i do admit that i brought up a topic in mixed company that is even hard to talk in a church setting :)

24. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

yeah, and he may not be 'booklearned', but jeesus H. there's something going on. 2, count 'em 2, elections. WTF do I know?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And it's called Diebold.