Who prefers the silver bezel to the black bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyroza, Apr 22, 2010.

1. pyroza macrumors regular

Seems lots of people like the black bezel way more. I think the silver bezel actually looks nicer since it matches the color of the computer itself.

Note: this is not a matte vs. glossy thread, just a silver bezel vs. black bezel one

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Black bezel to make the keys match. If you're going to have a silver bezel make the keys match like the previous generation MacBook Pro's otherwise they will look out of place.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

At first I didn't like the silver bezel. But after one saw it and eventually bought one I'm really digging it. This bezel is much nicer than the previous generations silver bezel.

But, I like both.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

When I looked at them in the store I preferred the black because it gives a nice border for the display, particularly with video content. Now that I've lived with the silver for about a week it's grown on me. If I had black I'd probably be fine with that also. Once you spend about an hour with the system I think you stop looking at the bezel. lol

5. satchmo macrumors 68000

Silver.
    And bring back the silver keyboards too!:)

6. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

7. nconnella macrumors regular

I would never even consider the silver. What made the MBP stand out to me was the glass protective screen. I've always hated it on older laptops how you could lift the plastic bezel off the LCD and how dust could accumulate there. It looks and feels so cheap. The glass screen and black bezel protect it and glass is so much easier to clean. Also aesthetically the black balances the black keyboard in my opinion.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple never should have gone to black keys and bezel. The black hinge looks like crap too. But I need a new machine and that is all they have now. Good thing the matte still has the silver.

9. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I like the black bezel. As others have said the black bezel brings out the screen more, gives it a nicer border.

I agree I like the black keys against the black bezel. Does make the computer look nicer, IMO.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Silver here, it meant matte was standard and I didn't have to look at my fat face the whole time I was on my computer. No one, and I do mean no one, should look at me from that angle!

11. duky macrumors 6502

Having owned an MBA for the last year I do have something for the silver bezel still. The silver is simple and minimalistic, which is nice in its own respect but the black is bold and more striking and I think that it a) attracts people to the device and b) looks a bit more modern. Also, I like black as a color and most of my furniture is black so the black border fits well ;). So I'd choose black ultimately, but I don't hate silver at all. It's time has just come and gone.

12. ttran88 macrumors regular

silver just looks way out of place. black ftw

13. EVO9Nate macrumors member

14. BaronStein macrumors regular

Silver bezel.

I used to hate it, now, I love it...

15. ttran88 macrumors regular

most people who have the silver bezel will say the silver bezel and vice versa. but we all know black looks nicer. :)

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have not seen the silver bezel of the new generation and/or if it changed but when I saw the old silver on a 15" I felt it looks like it was not supposed that way. The black bezel looks flawless on the edges. The silver with this black thin rubber in between looks especially cheap on the bottom of the screen. It is not much but it does kind of miss the perfect finish.
    From a distance and only considering the color I prefer the silver. It is also ergonomically better not only because it is matte but also because eye doctors used to say that a dark bezel on a screen makes the eye adjust to the wrong brightness. Same thing as you should have the major light source of a working place in front and not the back. The black bezel looks better from close distance though.
    I just hate that it is so glossy. They could have at least tried to put some anti reflective coating on there. I probably get the black one but will try to see how it works with a anti reflective matt film on top of the glass. If that doesn't work I can still get a matte option. Glossy might have a little nicer colors but it is too annoying. I gladly give some contrast for not having to deal with annoying reflections.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Prefer the silver bezel -- especially with a matte screen.

With glossy, the black bezel looks okay, but I think silver would be better.

18. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yes the glare annoys my mother. She hates looking at herself in the glossy screen. :D I had a late 2007 MBP and loved it. But I have gotten used to the black bezel and black keys. It would be hard to go back.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i like the silver bezel more for the matte screen. however i think it would not look good on the glossy display.

all in all i think the glossy, black bezel, glass screen MBP look much better overall than the matte MBP. i bought the matte MBP's only because I'm quite sensitive to reflections.

20. tboneh08 macrumors newbie

I used to prefer the silver bezel, like the one on my July 2007 MacBook Pro. Now, I'm starting to really like Apple's new black on silver look, especially after using my girlfriend's iMac. I hope the new iPhone really does have the black on silver look to it.

21. mk1ap macrumors member

Black bezel looks much better. Same can be said for hdtv's.

22. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Black all the way. Personally I feel the silver/matte screen to feel slightly flimsier than the black due to a lack of a gloss plastic screen. Doesn't necessarily feel cheap by any means but the gloss screen just feels sturdier to me.

23. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the silver bezel with black keys looks fine, just like how it looks fine on the Air.

but i wish they made the outer rim of the screen and hinge light grey like the Air and previous Pro. Apple simply added a silver bezel without the glass and didnt redesign the plastic rubber bits.

24. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I agree. It also seems to focus my eyes away from the edges and towards the center of the display - the screen itself. Also provides some nice contrast from the silver aluminum body.