who rides motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jkcerda, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

bought a 1998 shadow 1100. passed my MSC and I am about to start riding. bike needs tires/lights/brakes. already did other services on it.

2. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

I would love to, but all my friends have been in horrible accidents. Kind of put off on the idea. Grats on passing the course though. Be safe!

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I rode one in South Asia some years ago... It was terrifying, hehe. But I know a few people who really enjoy it, so be safe and have fun!

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not I. You can be the best motorcycle driver but you are still surrounded by idiot car drivers.

What really gets me are the motorcycle drivers that wear flip flops, shorts, t shirt, and no helmet (not required in NH).

5. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

On top of idiot drivers, many don't watch for cyclists.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'll stick with snowmobiles, jet skis, and a car with a standard transmission for my enjoyment.

7. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

I am buying life insurance before I hit the streets :(

8. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Hopefully you won't need to use it. :eek:

9. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

agreed. I won't get much coverage, just 350k . God forbid the wife gets some ideas if I make it worth it to her :p

10. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

11. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

since 99. only way to move around here.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Learn to ride on trails, you do not have to worry about distracted regular vehicle drivers.

13. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

i was on a 2014 triumph bonneville til my accident... right tibia plateau fracture and right wrist fracture....i survived, i miss riding but i love my X5....hope to ride again after completely healed.

14. vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

I've been riding for many years. Rode around the USA in my 2014 BMW 1200GS Adventure last year. Got rear-ended on I-12 in Baton Rouge on my way back to CA. : ( Some miracle and some riding skill kept me upright. Took several months to heal up. I hope that you know what AGATT means?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Wait....you can get your leg over a motorcycle??

Be careful out there, there are lots of cars out in LA

16. Howlinmoon macrumors newbie

Howlinmoon

Congratulations! Taking a safety course is a great way to start, I wish it was requirement to get your endorsement and not just an option.

I rode in the 70's as a kid, and then started again in 2002 with a Honda Magna and then a Goldwing (used). Switched to Harley in 2009 and now ride an Ultra Limited. Starting with a used bike is smart, so many people pass the course and then run out and buy something brand new and too big for them.

Join a Shadow forum, if you haven't already - and see what fellow riders are doing to improve their bikes.

Doesn't matter what brand you ride - as long as you ride and are enjoying yourself.

Oh, and if you pass another biker, wave - you'll probably get a wave in return.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

18. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Man, beautiful bike. I miss my K100RT :(

19. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I've been riding since I was 16 and still do at 62. Currently I have a 2014 BMW HP4 Comp, and a 2004 R1 for the street. For the Extreme Enduro on weekends, I have my KTM 300 EXC Six days. Riding off road requires lot more skill, better physical conditioning and it is little less dangerous than riding on the street.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I used to when I was young and foolish. :)

21. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I'm still young at heart and my wife says I'm foolish too, and she may be right.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Let me tell you about the time I almost got killed, naw, but did...almost. :) The thing about motorcycles, is that if you don't expect and plan on every car on the road trying to kill you, then you've statistically shortened your life span.

23. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

In my 46 years of riding, mostly on the street, I've never had a close call or a single scary moment so to speak.

But then, speaking of statistics, the longer you ride the closer you become to have an incidence. Sure enough, an idiot, totally DUI and on some heavy drugs as well, ran into me from behind 5 months ago. Perhaps due to my off-road riding skills, I did not even fall down but my bike was practically totalled. There was nothing I could do to prevent this from happening because I did not even see him coming. I cannot classify this as a "bike accident" because the same idiot could have killed me even if I was walking on a sidewalk.

That's why I enjoy riding my dirt bike in the woods where there are no unguided missiles to run me over.

24. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

class teaches you exactly that, things are worse since cell phones entered the scene :(

25. an-other macrumors regular

Been riding for decades. Love it. A couple of suggestions from my experience.
    • Wear a full face helmet and gloves. The local motorcycle shop I go to has a full face helmet practically torn in half with a plaque below it: Would you rather be your face? Makes the point clear enough

• Wear something visible. I prefer fluorescent designed helmets. There are other options like hi viz vests. Being on a black bike wearing all black looks way cool for sure. I'd prefer to seen myself.

• Never ride unless sober and awake. I think the cliche is: never ride to the bar.

• Know yourself. If you can have rage whilst driving, recognise you have to manage it riding. You are more vulnerable

• Ride defensively, and avoid being in blind spots. Avoid being alongside trucks until you can zip past them

• Understand it's a skill you have to both mentally and physically grow into. Your body is not used to the forces of a bike at the start or when you get a new bike.

• Stow your gear on your bike before riding. When riding, ride.

• Use judgment when you can when choosing routes. For example, I tend not to drive on the motorway during rush hour.

• When facing off against a car/truck/etc. You will lose.
    I get it. Many people view riding as an expression of personal freedom. My objective isn't too preach to you. It's just to share what I've learnt. Maybe it'll be useful. Maybe not. Over time you will develop a few war stories. You have them whilst driving, too. They're just more heightened as your ride.

There's a lot of great times ahead. Perhaps we'll waive when we pass....