iPad Who still has the AT&T unlimited iPad Plan?

Do you have the AT&T unlimited data plan for your iPad?

• Yes, I have the unlimited data plan

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • No, I have a limited plan

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Just wondering what percentage of people on the forum still have the original AT&T unlimited plans for their iPad. I keep hearing "just a handful" in the media, but I wonder what the real percentage is...

rkuo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2010
I originally had two plans on two iPads, but I don't use enough data enough to justify it.

I ended up giving one to my mom. As a backup internet device, it works wonders and is easily worth the 30 bucks a month just to not have to do tech support right away if her internet goes down.

I ended up selling the other one on craigslist. Now I'm wondering if I should have kept it to give to some other old person in the family that needs internet.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, I killed mine about a year ago since my use was so low. Still never go over 2 GB, but the "feel" off being unlimited was nice. I think the trend is that unlimited users are diminishing so AT&T isn't worried about. Based on posting on the iPhone forum, it seems there are a lot more iPhone unlimited users, which AT&T does throttle.

I originally had two plans on two iPads, but I don't use enough data enough to justify it.

I ended up giving one to my mom. As a backup internet device, it works wonders and is easily worth the 30 bucks a month just to not have to do tech support right away if her internet goes down.

I ended up selling the other one on craigslist. Now I'm wondering if I should have kept it to give to some other old person in the family that needs internet.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Had it for a long time but never used more than 2gb due to having wifi where ever I go most the time. Was a waste of money.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I killed mine about a year ago since my use was so low. Still never go over 2 GB, but the "feel" off being unlimited was nice. I think the trend is that unlimited users are diminishing so AT&T isn't worried about. Based on posting on the iPhone forum, it seems there are a lot more iPhone unlimited users, which AT&T does throttle.
I hope you sold that unlimited for very good money.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
lovin unlimited

yeah, have unlimited here too. When I heard they were going to take it away that's when I decided I better go ahead and buy an iPad. I use it for work all the time showing property to clients and accessing my desktop from the field. I usually go over 2 GB. For awhile I was streaming radio from Europe and that got me up to 5-6GB/mo...no problem, no throttling whatsoever. I love that I never need wifi...especially at hotels where they charge for crappy wifi speeds.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Last month was the first month I ever went over 2GB on my unlimited plan :(

4.9GB. On vacation at a hotel with unusable wi-fi in my room.

shaown

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
I have it - but just took our family plan over to Verizon (3 phones). Debating whether to sell the ATT - and add my next ipad to my VZ acccount. (That would let me bump up the data on the share plan a LOT).
-Shaown

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
The wife and I still have AT&T unlimited on our iPads since iPad 1. No plans to discontinue as long as AT&T keeps letting us transfer it to new gen iPads.

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
Sold my unlimited plan sim last year around this time for serious bucks. It had been transferred to 3rd gen ipad and was an unlimited LTE plan. For the money the unlimited sim sold for I can pay for MANY months of our ATT family share plan. We have 8GB family plan with 3 iphones and 2 ipads and typically use in the 2GB-3GB range.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish AT&T would let us just pay for 10GB for example, then take as long as we want to use it. With the way I'd use cellular data on the iPad, this would last me a year or more since I have WiFi most places. I only need cel data to fill in the gaps here and there, and when traveling. Paying $20+ a month is completely not worth it.

Sure, I could activate only when I travel, but that still leaves those little gaps I occasionally have when I'm local. They should come up with a plan for people in my situation, I bet there's lots of us.

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
I've got it and I've also still got my iPad OG that I bought it with. And it's a god send especially because my school apartments don't offer any internet options. Which I still can't comprehend because it's 2013...

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Still have the original iPad 1 with unlimited data. We just purchased the iPad air and will try tomorrow to transfer over the data plan. I think it has been a waste of money as my wife never uses more than a few hundred meg a month. You just want to keep it as you just never know when you might need 50 gigs of data one month :)

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
still have mine.

we have to view this as a long term investment. imagine the data we will be pulling down in just a few years. heck, I'm already 4+ GB every month. wait until we can download movies over cellular (which will happen at some point)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I didn't know there was an option for unlimited data on the iPad. I do have unlimited on my iPhone which an AT&T rep told me is coveted because they don't offer it anymore. The downside is I can't tether with it. I'd have to give up my unlimited data on my phone in order to have tethering. Sorry for going off topic but I didn't know the iPad had an unlimited plan.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
There was an unlimited plan for a couple months after the original iPad came out before ATT stopped offering it.

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I still have it and just moved it over to my new iPad Air. I'm glad I still have this plan!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.