Votes: 55 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
Yep, that always happens. I want to get a Black and Slate iPhone 5 32GB new, but my parents (that monitor my purchases and such) won't let me get one because I already have a phone. "It's a collectors item mom, chill out!" Lol. I guess this 4S will do lol.
Lol my purchases are just self-monitored. I'm only (about to be) a HS senior but I have a job and my mom just tells me to monitor my own purchases if it's made with my earnings lol. Sucks to have helicopters, doesn't it? For the iPods, I just didn't want to buy it at that time and I thought I only told the one guy, didn't know that he'd tell his buddies and have them snap up every last one. My fault lol! At least I have this iPad now.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Lol my purchases are just self-monitored. I'm only (about to be) a HS senior but I have a job and my mom just tells me to monitor my own purchases if it's made with my earnings lol. Sucks to have helicopters, doesn't it? For the iPods, I just didn't want to buy it at that time and I thought I only told the one guy, didn't know that he'd tell his buddies and have them snap up every last one. My fault lol! At least I have this iPad now.
My 3Gs still received updates for most things up until early this year on iOS 6.1.6. An iPhone 4S is worlds faster than my 3Gs even on the latest iOS 9, so even though it won't see iOS 10, I'm sure the 4s will still be a usable phone for 4-5 more years. I was planning on upgrading my 3Gs to a 32GB white 4s but ended up getting a good deal for a 64GB iPhone SE from Tmobile. I really wish apple would release a new phone in the design of the 4s and 6s internals. Maybe call it iPhone SJ as a tribute to Steve Jobs as it was the last iPhone he introduced. I still love the 3.5' size as well and would actually prefer it.

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
I really wish apple would release a new phone in the design of the 4s and 6s internals. Maybe call it iPhone SJ as a tribute to Steve Jobs as it was the last iPhone he introduced. I still love the 3.5' size as well and would actually prefer it.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Also, the 4S was the first phone introduced by Tim Cook, but it was the last one that Steve Jobs was overseeing engineering, development, and early production. The iPhones that followed were 100% Tim Cook.

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
Wondering why your iDevice is running slowly, well I believe I have an answer for that. iOS 7 and up uses stylesheets much like CSS files for websites. The processor has to generate the UI from the ground up as soon as you open an app and that also applies to notification center, control center, and spotlight search, but you don't have to worry about those because iOS generates the style for those when your booted into iOS.
iOS 6 and older didn't use stylesheets in that fashion. iOS was image based and made the UI much like layers. The navigation bars, background, buttons, etc, were cropped and put into the appropriate spots via a stylesheet pointing out where they are supposed to be.
On a moderately powered device, having to generate the UI from the ground up takes a HUGE chunk out of performance. It's ridiculous, my iPhone 4S almost five years old on iOS 6 can perform just as well as my new iPhone 6S.

Very interesting! :D
[doublepost=1473041672][/doublepost]
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Also, the 4S was the first phone introduced by Tim Cook, but it was the last one that Steve Jobs was overseeing engineering, development, and early production. The iPhones that followed were 100% Tim Cook.
Not really, as its an ongoing process with product development

Apple purportedly develops 3 iPhone generations concurrently with generalized/not set in stone future features (things that "go back in the cupboard for now") in addition to the usual prototype testing that is never made public ... iPhones aren't just developed within one product cycle (no product ever really is); sometimes features you want to iclude arent available because of a chip delay or an unforseen complication, plus there are different teams that work on the consecutive model, they R&D future features, and move forth with supply chain/logistics which can take its fair share of planning (could be for products a year or two or 3 away) and other teams that start conceptualizing even further models down the road

SJ would have known about many things beyond the 4s, in all of Apples product lines, when he stepped down in mid 2011 - he oversaw the teams involved in those processes too

Last edited:

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
I have a question that's somewhat related to iOS6:
I
s there any hack around the fact that iTunes 10.7 won't sync any device running iOS7 or later?

I believe 10.7 was the best iTunes release ever so that's why I'm keeping it (and my phone on iOS6, of course). But we have a couple other idevices at home running on newer iOS's that cannot sync to my 10.7 iTunes library, or at least not easily (I have to use a newer itunes on another PC connecting to the networked library and it tends to mess things up a bit).

So is there a way to make this iTunes release also sync devices with a newer iOS? Many thanks!

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
You can always roll back
Actually you can't roll back most of the time with iPhones. The exceptions are older devices that have been exploited or have SHSH's still being signed or just don't need them ala older boot rom 3gs and below.

The iPhone 4 however is fairly easy to downgrade. I did it at least three times with ones i've had or family members complaining about slowness. 7.1.2 to 6.1.3 using iFaith wasn't too bad. There's apparently a way to downgrade a 4S back to iOS 6 too with an OTA blob method, but it's quite a bit harder for now I think. 3GS maxes at iOS 6 and can also be rolled back to 4.1 that's still being signed. iPhone 5 and up though you're out of luck. Especially 5S and up 64 bit touch ID devices.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Actually you can't roll back most of the time with iPhones. The exceptions are older devices that have been exploited or have SHSH's still being signed or just don't need them ala older boot rom 3gs and below.

The iPhone 4 however is fairly easy to downgrade. I did it at least three times with ones i've had or family members complaining about slowness. 7.1.2 to 6.1.3 using iFaith wasn't too bad. There's apparently a way to downgrade a 4S back to iOS 6 too with an OTA blob method, but it's quite a bit harder for now I think. 3GS maxes at iOS 6 and can also be rolled back to 4.1 that's still being signed. iPhone 5 and up though you're out of luck. Especially 5S and up 64 bit touch ID devices.
Dfu mode?

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I know, that's what I'm afraid of. Apple has been good to me and I don't want to see the company crash and burn (even though they have plenty of money lol).

These are some pictures I made from scratch for iPhone 6 and 6S using original iOS 6 resources. Very beautiful!!

How did you make it? Any tool that you use?

Emaren

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
iPad 4 (3G+WiFI) 128GB and iPhone 4s 64GB - both running stock versions of iOS 6 and will continue so...haven't updated either to iCloud drive so these two babies can continue rocking their cloud documents

Apple used to be about superior experience while not being always technically ahead of the curve, now it's the other way round and my other Apple devices are soul-less pieces of aluminium
[doublepost=1500357867][/doublepost]
iPad 4 (3G+WiFI) 128GB and iPhone 4s 64GB - both running stock versions of iOS 6 and will continue so...haven't updated either to iCloud drive so these two babies can continue rocking their cloud documents

Apple used to be about superior experience while not being always technically ahead of the curve, now it's the other way round and my other Apple devices are soul-less pieces of aluminium

Ooohh, tell me you still have that 128gb iPad 4 on iOS 6... I'd love to buy that gem...

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
@Emaren - yup, I still have it and use it every day for reading, it's not for sale though sorry!

Emaren

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
That's understandable!!

But if that ever changes, I will pay you top dollar for that relic!!

Reactions: R2FX

n0klu

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Missouri
I have 3 devices that run iOS 6.1:
2- 3gs iPhone's (one is a spare)
and 1 iPod 4 (32gb)
(I also have a an old iPod classic which is even older it was an 80GB, I up'ed the drive to 120gb)

cw48494

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
3gs
4s

All iOS6, 3gs is a little slow for my liking but still a great device. Been sporting my 4s around lately, iOS6 grants this baby some amazing battery life for a 6+year old device.
4s bl.jpg

Reactions: n0klu

MacFather

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
As for apps, yes it's annoying, but iOS 6 does what I need it to do. My favorite app i have installed on it is YouTube v1.3. It's old, but it works great, looks great, and in my opinion works better than the newer versions. For it to be so old it works perfectly and that's because YouTube.com hasn't really changed except for images and a flat UI. (Btw you can't get this version from the App Store unless you are on iOS 5)
View attachment 629338

YouTube v1.3 no longer works. :(

20180407_122303000_iOS.jpg