Who still uses the Original iPhone or 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Binaural, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Binaural macrumors newbie

Just curious to see who sticks with the Original, or the 3gs....

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'm guessing you mean the original and 3g, not 3gs?

I know I couldn't. They are way too slow compared to what is out now. But if you don't know any better or just can't afford it, I would rather have those two than most android phones that are out.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

4. techguy20 macrumors 6502

5. fingleburt macrumors member

3GS owner here & works fine for what I need. I dont like the styling of the 4/4s, I like them curvy, like I like my women :D

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I have a 3Gs, I got it a couple of months back to replace my 3G. It was a free upgrade, to go to a 4 or beyond would have cost and to be honest the 3G was enough for my needs so the 3Gs is more than adequate.

Does not craving the latest model make me a bad or wicked person? :p

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yes, very wicked.

8. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I have a 4S for personal use and a 3GS for corporate use.

9. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I use a 3GS which I've had for a year now and which is my first iPhone. Frankly, I like its looks better than the 4/4S, but I will probably upgrade to a 4 at some point. I have no issues with the phone's speed though.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I still have a 32GB 3GS activated with AT&T. It's eligible for an upgrade but I think I'm canceling it in may when my contract is over.

I have a 4S on Verizon.

11. samwise macrumors regular

3GS here, currently on T-Mob - bought it when I was still living in the UK in Jan '10 (and factory unlocked in Jan '11 after the expiry of the 12-month contract).

I may go to a new one if Apple and T-Mob agree terms for the next generation phone.

12. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

If you're in the US on an iPhone contract and don't mind being tied into a contract, you'd be crazy not to upgrade your phone at the end of your contract if I understand it correctly.

You'll still pay the same monthly charge after your contract has expired, which includes paying back the iPhone subsidy that AT&T gave you at the beginning of the contract. So you're effectively paying back for something that you've already fully paid for…

Unless I've got the complete wrong end of the stick?

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Gave my kid (older teenager) my old 3GS when I upgraded to the 4S. Given the barbaric attitude of my kid toward taking care of her material posessions, I feel sympathy for my old phone. That god it's protected by a case and a screen protector....

14. magenda macrumors newbie

3G here, running iOS 3
    no performance problems at all
    :)

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

It's been exactly a year since I've bought my first iPhone, 3GS.

Frankly, I don't really have any desire to upgrade to either 4 or 4S. If I somebody gave either to me, of course I wouldn't say no, but to buy them, I don't really want.

16. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

I still have my original iPhone 2g, and I'm still loving it, except it's not that shiny anymore... Mainly using it for texting calls and music.

[​IMG]

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I kept my original iPhone for a WiFi device with camera, when I went to the 3GS for a phone. I gave the 3GS to a neighbor when I went to the iPhone 4S, but I still kept the original iPhone.

Mostly I use the older device as a backup cam in my studio in case my 4S is charging or just not in the room. I often snap a picture of something I'm working on, or document the available precut sizes of some fabric I have just carved up (so I won't be thinking I have 3/4 yard of something when it has just become a bunch of 6-1/2" squares or 4" strips or whatever). It's really handy because I don't have to make any notes or really even stop working, just snap the photo and then when I import the cam roll later, I can decide how I need to proliferate the information or further annotate it.

It's really important to my workflows to have the photos I take during the day in the studio, but I've found if I don't keep a backup cam of some sort in there, I'm tempted to skip some documentation steps that I really need to complete. So my original iPhone is a treasured piece of gear. I sure will miss it when it croaks. I hope Apple is still making a an iPod touch with a camera at that point because using an big ol' iPad-x for this backup cam function would feel like real work, compared to one-handing a shot with a phone-sized device. Maybe I will have to keep my 4S instead of handing it on to a neighbor when I want to upgrade again...

18. JurgenV macrumors member

Still using the 3GS I bought 2.5 years ago. It met the floor a couple of times and other then some scratches on the back it still works fine. I love the look and the screen of the iPhone 4S but at this point the 3GS works just fine for me and I don't feel the need to upgrade at this moment. Will see what the iPhone 5 will bring and decide then.

19. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

As of Sunday I will be the owner of a 4s. But I was curious, since I always loved the look of the Iphone, and iPhone 3g.

20. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I kept my original as keepsake havent turned it on in years.Glad im not the only staten islander on here too :D

21. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I purposely searched for and bought an iPhone 2G in fall of '11. Don't ask me why, but I always had a weird obsession/desire to own a 2G, even though my first iPhone was the 4 and I had never owned/used any Apple products prior besides a Mac. But it made my happy, so I don't bother trying to psychoanalyze myself. I found one in amazing condition too, and the battery works great, so it's perfect as a backup phone and as a piece of Apple memorabilia. I would have loved to get a 4GB, but sadly those are too damn rare to find in good condition.

[​IMG]

It's slow as all hell, but like the guy whose post was linked to, it still just works.

22. Binaural thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome!

23. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I was still under contract with the 3GS when the 4 was released. My contact ended and the 4S was released without LTE so I'm holding off now. im tempted to just say screw it though and get it, but I dont want to deal with selling it after to get a 5 off contract.

24. Sudaddy, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Sudaddy macrumors member

Had a chuckle when I read it.

I have the same old 3GS that I bought on it's launch day at 9 AM. Still faithful to it. And factually, it just works. Have the iOS 5, runs as fast as it did on day 1, have no scratches, or any problems what so ever. Looks still new. I used a case for over 2 years which protected it from all the floor drops but now, I don't even use that case any more. The case used to make it look fat. Now it's completely naked, without any screen protector as well, and looks just beautiful. Compare that to many ugly old clunky Droids (1st/2nd generations) that I see in my office...

The only big problem I have is AT&T which I sincerely loath because of their horrible signal quality. Eventually, I am waiting for iPhone 5 to come out this year and I will make the switch.

Like you, I don't like the styling of 4/4S (no offense, but the iPhone 4/4S looks like a solid bar of soap). I like my women skinny and fit, and I think iPhone can be a little more thin and sleek. I would even prefer that tear drop design which was floating around, but I hope Apple surprises me with even a better one.

25. Acronym macrumors 68000