Who thinks apple might release two different phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Aug 6, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

the same sized 3.5 and a larger screen more pro version on an iphone. im hoping they decide that there is two types of people out there the ones that like the 3.5 and ones that want the same idea but bigger. not 4" either more like a 4.3-4.6

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

No for two reasons:

1. The consistent leaks and rumors point to only one new device.
    2. Adding a second iPhone would confuse the general public and fragment things software wise.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I doubt it, Apple isn't much on the choice side. And 4 inches is too small. You have to use it with two hands (for reaching upper elements of the screen) So why not go bigger and get a Galaxy Note? Get bigger pockets. if that's a problem, or put the phone on a holster.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

How is 4 inches too small yet you need two hands to use it? I find that 4 inches is the perfect size, having used a Nexus S prior to the iPhone.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Highly unlikely. Apple doesnt focus on what customers want. They've already programmed the greater majority to believe only Apple knows what's best for them. Apple builds it, they buy it. No thinking involved :)

6. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

leaks sometimes lead to nothing...
    also if they kept the 3.5 they wouldnt have to change apps. with the 4" already rumored they have fragment issues. why not a 3.5(nothing changed) and 4.5 for a more pro version of the phone. Then they wont have to keep changing the screen size in the future like everyone else.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that there is any chance that Apple will release 2 different iPhones.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

I agree with ixodes. Apple doesn't really care for choice. They've got us thinking whatever they make will be good enough for us to buy.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Because that creates fragmentation...

Apple is going to bump the screen size for both the iPhone and iPod touch to 4 inches.

Eventually most apps are going to support 4 inches just like retina display.

10. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I think the only choices we'll get will be for storage space and color.

11. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

going to 4" already creates fragmentation... why not just do it right and have two versions so they dont need to update size a few years down the road.

12. irDigital0l Guest

Because Apple isn't planning to update the screen size every two years.

Eventually all iPhone's will be 4 inches.

Apple wants to just get this over with.

1) Bigger screen size
    2) New smaller dock connector

They don't want to keep any of the 'old" stuff around.

13. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

how do you know down the road they wont want a slightly bigger screen if they start losing customers over it? obviously they see the need for a larger screen or they would be keeping the 3.5". Same thing that is happening with an ipad. If there is a market for it they will think it over...

14. chleuasme, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

chleuasme macrumors 6502

The problem with two smartphones is fragmentation on the app front, especially if the 2 models have different aspect ratios.

Suppose they keep a 3.5" 3:2 line, and launch a second model with something like a shiny 4.4" 16:9 full HD screen (Sharp has 498 ppi screens). Everybody is happy and can choose the model fitting the best their expectation. But what happens for apps/devs?
    Actual apps would not fit the new aspect ratio, but some iOS magic + letterbox could solve that.
    So then, what happens after that? Devs create 2 complete different apps, or maybe, target only one iPhone model to simplify? I don't think it would work good, the app store would be a mess, the devs would have hard times and frustrations, customers as well.

That couldn't be a solution for the long term, but only if it was for a transition to a new size/resolution.
    And i think (and hope) Apple can't abandon the small form factor, so they can't transition to only one too big model, while they'd also need a bigger one than actually.

Now, all that doesn't prevent from a second model of iPhone, but with a completely different approach. Though it's probably too early for now.

Lots of people are fine with dumb-phones, they don't want to carry a big device, they don't need 99% of apps as they transport their phone, or they can have them on an iPod Touch and/or their iPad.

Touch screens are great but they imply a large screen (a 3.5" 3:2 screen is already large) as soon as you need to offer a wide range of usage as with smartphones and apps.

Abandoning the "smart" part drives to diminish the importance of a large screen and then allow to make a small device. But can you remove the screen interaction? not completely.

But if a service like Siri improves more, you solve part of the problem.

Imagine a small device with a small ~3" 16:9 touch screen; that's way narrower than even the actual iPhone.
    No 3rd party apps on it, the screen is too small to expect to concretely do anything.
    Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Mail, Contacts, SMS, Phone calls, all interactions are made through an improved Siri + minimal touch screen interaction when necessary.

Customers for such a phone could still use it as an iPod and buy music on the Apple Music Store, and then, accessing the Apple eco-system, have interest in also buying a more capable device like a tablet, and then apps for it, getting always more captive.

Apple would have a cheaper price point entry to their world with still the iPhone brand.

Future improvements on Siri could be keys for making it possible (more languages, more reliable, more capabilities).

And on the smartphone side, it would let room for a 4+ inches screen with full capabilities and then, especially, 3rd party apps dedicated to it.

No fragmentation, only segmentation.

15. emma777 macrumors member

OMG! There is no mention of the next two ipads yet.......;)

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

OP, you are beating a dead horse. It's not going to happen. Ranting here will not make it happen. Go to the Android smartphone for what you are looking for. ;)

17. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

dumb...
    im not ranting just asking people if they think it "could" happen.
    im happy with my apple ecosystem.

18. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

The only choices I remember Apple ever giving are "Black or White" and "Lock Rotation or Mute" (on the iPad)

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

lock rotation is on the iphone =/

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just a few Deja vu type notes:

1) Apple has multiple iPod models without "confusing customers" too much.

2) People used to swear that Apple would never make separate GSM and Verizon models, yet they did for a while.

3) Apple has proven many times that they don't mind impacting developers or fragmenting apps. E.g. iPad screen, Retina screen. In fact, it's seen as an opportunity for developers to make more money from updated versions.

So while I have no idea if they would ever make two iPhone models, there's no history proving they wouldn't.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While anything is possible, I don't see Apple doing this
    At least not in the near future anyway, who knows what happens down the road
    I would be shocked if it happened this round

I think the iPod argument misses the mark
    There is a good deal of differentiation with the iPods in size and features
    I am not sure Apple would find that much differentiation in an iPhone other than screen size
    The iPod touch already offers some differentiation

And I don't think Apple is convinced that the very large screen sizes are the direction they want to go
    Especially if they release an iPad Mini
    Breaking the 4" barrier seems to be the most they are willing to go at this point
    While that won't satisfy those clamoring for 4.8", it will be a middle ground for many

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

NO to fragmentation. having the 4/4S still for sale alongside the new one will divide iOS enough. Apple would want to phase out the existing 3.5" as soon as possible and adding a new 3.5" would delay that further.

23. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

iPhone - Mute, of course.
    iPad - Lock rotation, I hate when I am laying down and it keeps spinning on me

----------

Here is the thing, there will be a 3.5" phone and a larger 4" or so phone (whatever we see on Sep 12) this year... the new iPhone and the iPhone 4 and 4S (Assuming they stick to offering 3 models of iPhone for price variability).

One thing though, we really haven't seen parts for the iPad "mini" have we? other than the supposed back casing that wasn't even worthy of the front page on MR. Has there been anything else? Please post Reply if so. This adds the slightest amount of hope, just a smidgen.

24. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

one new feature in iPod 6 is auto layout As far as that goes on the fragmentation front which means iOS will render at different resolutions just like osx will all the developers have to do is recode their apps and upload higher resolution renders for them. It's not as if making 2 different iPhones would be all that difficult they have numerous MacBooks MacBook pros and numerous models of their iPod line.

if we think that Apple wouldn't make a product based solely on the developers having to recode their apps then we know that won't be a problem simplest of right now the App store is where the money is and the developers will like in all businesses follow the money.