Who thinks Apple will make a "battery fix" annoucement < 14 days of i4S launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megaj, Oct 19, 2011.

1. megaj macrumors newbie

Most of us are now within 8 days or so of our 14 day return window. And judging by the posts here, a big reason to return would be battery life. There are probably several of us, waiting for a fix, or at least word from Apple that this will be resolved.

Im 50/50 on this. Not happy with battery life, but not disappointed either. I will give it until Wednesday 10/26. If no progress, leaning towards a return.

Anyone else with me, or battery be damned?

Cheers all.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not sure if they will make one that quick... but I'm keeping the 4s regardless. I have faith in Apple's pursuit of perfection and their customer service...

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

They're probably working on an update right now.

4. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

what kind of fix are you expecting? just go exchange or or return and re-buy if you're that disgruntled.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think they are going to announce anything. I think they'll just roll out an update and fix the issue.

6. megaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats my thinking too. I brought up the 14 day window announcement, as a method for them to protect their initial sales. A lot of us bought on launch day. Even if they have no idea right now on the fix, they can tell us something vague, like a performance optimization release will be coming sometime in Q4. Would make a lot of us happier.

Thanks for the reply.

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Hasn't this been an issue with every new phone release? Not just that, but every x.0 release of software. Also, don't forget that people with iPhone 4's are also seeing lower battery times. There will be bugs, they will be ironed out.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I have seen no degradation in battery performance on three different phones.

9. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I would bet my phone that probably already are!

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

The lower standby time estimate that Apple gave for the 4S kinda suggested that they knew that battery life wouldn't be as good. I don't think it's necessarily a hardware issue (unless of course the A5 is a lot more power hungry then then A4).

Perhaps it's just a software thing that Apple can refine with updates :confused:

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Same here. My 4S more often than not, sticks on 100 percent for much longer than my 4 before it starts to deplete and it lasts the day (pretty much the same as my iPhone 4).

Obviously something amiss though with the amount of people reporting a problem.

12. iPaddy macrumors 6502

I don't understand. Who DOESN'T charge their smartphone over night, every night?
    Problem solved.

13. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed, and given the number of people who don't seem to have any problems, it is likely either a software thing (whether iOS5 or some apps having issues with iOS5) or a hardware issue affecting some units.

I'm confident it will be sorted out in due time.

Either way, if you're having problems get Apple involved.

15. SamuelS1289 macrumors newbie

Just turn off your Location Services, problem solved.

I unplugged my iPhone 4S at midnight with 100%, went to bed... woke up at 8:30 am with 92%.... lasts me until 5 pm with 15%... so that's like.... 17 hours... which is pretty good.

I used emails, imessage, twitter, facebook, downloaded several apps.... safari... facetime.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Not gonna happen. A5 is a power hungry chip. Along with Siri, this phone simply requires more battery. Apples obsession with an ultra thin phone prevents better battery life.

Fanbois refrain "just give up & take it back" is utterly clueless.

17. tsduke macrumors regular

Your comment would be valid if everyone's batter drain rate was comparable in standby, but we have some who say there last as long as their 4 and some who say its draining 2-3 faster.

18. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

It's not been Apple's general policy in the past to comment on issues such as poor battery performance being reported by some users. As and when they get enough feedback - usually through returned units - they research the issue and eventually release an update if it's possible to resolve it that way, but it's highly unlikely this will happen any time soon.

To my mind it's very simple. If some users are getting acceptable or good battery performance without having to turn off wifi, BT, location services etc, then those who find it necessary to turn these off to get usable battery life would be better contacting Apple and reporting battery issues. Not just to help resolve their specific case, but in order to ensure that Apple have lots of data on battery issues to use when investigating the problem.

If the battery is a problem, don't wait for Apple to fix it via an update because doing that will ensure that the vast majority of data they have to work with is that there is no battery problem.

19. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

If you purchased the phone with AT&T then it's 30 days. If it was purchased at the Apple store then you have 14 days.