Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Stupid lazy people. Because there isn't a parking space close to their apartment, they think it's ok to park in front of a garage. Who raised these morons? My apartment office isn't open until 9 am, maintenance was there, but they haven't done anything about it yet. I already missed my 8:15 am class 3 times already( my own fault for oversleeping) and I have a test in my 9:45 am class.

Screw these freaking pricks.

/rant

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
Stupid lazy people. Because there isn't a parking space close to their apartment, they think it's ok to park in front of a garage. Who raised these morons? My apartment office isn't open until 9 am, maintenance was there, but they haven't done anything about it yet. I already missed my 8:15 am class 3 times already( my own fault for oversleeping) and I have a test in my 9:45 am class.

Screw these freaking pricks.

/rant

Get it towed away. That will teach them.

If you can't get it towed, slash the tires. That should teach them as well.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Get it towed away. That will teach them.

The problem with that is it's kind of obvious who slashed the tires :rolleyes:

Definitely call the bylaw office or police or whoever has jurisdiction and get it towed or ticketed.

I feel your pain -- I live in a neighborhood where the houses have rear-facing garages and no real driveway to speak of -- you have to turn directly from the street into your garage. There is a curb/sidewalk/easement about 4 feet wide that acts as our "driveway". Sometimes people don't seem to get this and think it's OK to park on the street. Even if they park on the opposite side of the street it means there's no room for someone to back out of their garage. We've had the city install "No Parking" signs all over the place but some people just don't pay attention.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I got it towed when I went to the apartment's office when it opened, but it was too late. I missed the test.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Don't slash the tires. Just let the air out. Much more room for plausible denial that way.

I once had an assigned parking space (that I paid extra for) when I lived in an apartment, and people would park in it anyway. God, I don't miss that life.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
you should get a number from the complex so you can speed up the towing process.
AKA you call the towing company yourself. Believe me those tow guys love to do tow cars because they get a nice fee off impounding the car for a while.

It is one thing if they park there run inside get something and go right back out (5 mins tops) and another thing that they just sit there. Now both are unacceptable in my book but at least the first one is much more forgivable.

Another thing you could do in the future is get 4 dollies that could support the weight of a car and a 1.5 ton hydraulic jack.
Jack up the offending car and put the dollies under the wheels. Then kindly shove it out of the way and jack it up and remove your dollies. Put it in the middle of the street between parking spots but leave enough room for people to drive around it. This gets it towed even faster.

With the jack and dollies this could easy be done in 10 mins tops. Plus I can tell you owning a jack like that is a great tool and they last a very long time. Just a few weeks ago I was using my dad's jack on my car. The jack is nearly 28 years old and works great.

Last edited:

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
In my Apt's underground parking someone tried to not park but store their car in someone else's spot for the winter. This bugger actually took off his plates and hid the VIN#. The cops were called and the owner of the spot had to pay to get it towed which I couldn't believe. The cop said people do this all the time...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I once let a friend's boyfriend park his car for 2 weeks in my driveway. Didn't like him much, but as a favour to my friend I told him that he could park until the 21st (or whatever) and that on the 22nd his car would need to be "gone". The idiot then parked his car in the middle of the driveway, so we all had to edge around his car.

The 22nd came, and his car was not gone, so I called a bunch of tow truck companies to find the one furtherest away who would come and get it. Took me an hour, but oh - - it was worth it! They came, the car was gone. A couple of days later he came back and demanded to know where his car was.

I told him that we had agreed that his car would be "gone" on the 22nd, and that it was now "gone". He was not happy - he had a bunch of important stuff in his car that he needed for his university courses. Then he asked me where it was, and I handed him the card for the tow-truck company ('cause, I'm not a totally bad guy) .... and he freaked. It was one of those little towns in Southern Ontario that you can't find on a map, that you "can't get to from here" unless you were born to the area, and know the roads like the back of your hand. One of those 5 houses (and a tow truck company?) places that is not quite on the intersection that the map thinks it is. And it was an hour and a half away. I think he may have abandoned his car, because I never saw him driving it again. 'Course he never talked to me again.... Best part was, my friend and he had broken up while he was away - so she absolutely agreed that this was a good thing to do.

Doesn't help the OP, I'll grant.... but I still relish that memory.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I once let a friend's boyfriend park his car for 2 weeks in my driveway. Didn't like him much, but as a favour to my friend I told him that he could park until the 21st (or whatever) and that on the 22nd his car would need to be "gone". The idiot then parked his car in the middle of the driveway, so we all had to edge around his car.

The 22nd came, and his car was not gone, so I called a bunch of tow truck companies to find the one furtherest away who would come and get it. Took me an hour, but oh - - it was worth it! They came, the car was gone. A couple of days later he came back and demanded to know where his car was.

I told him that we had agreed that his car would be "gone" on the 22nd, and that it was now "gone". He was not happy - he had a bunch of important stuff in his car that he needed for his university courses. Then he asked me where it was, and I handed him the card for the tow-truck company ('cause, I'm not a totally bad guy) .... and he freaked. It was one of those little towns in Southern Ontario that you can't find on a map, that you "can't get to from here" unless you were born to the area, and know the roads like the back of your hand. One of those 5 houses (and a tow truck company?) places that is not quite on the intersection that the map thinks it is. And it was an hour and a half away. I think he may have abandoned his car, because I never saw him driving it again. 'Course he never talked to me again.... Best part was, my friend and he had broken up while he was away - so she absolutely agreed that this was a good thing to do.

Doesn't help the OP, I'll grant.... but I still relish that memory.

Hahaha... this is a great story. I would kind of feel for the guy if he hadn't parked his car in the middle of the driveway, but what an ass...

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
do it European style

just lift the car out of the way with some mates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_yYoMUGsg&feature=related

done that on several occasions too , always great fun , but you want to stay to see the owners face if he finds his car in a different position parked then wen he left it , no harm caused to the car or the tyres, but you got the car out of the way

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I've always wanted to just ram into a car that blocked me from leaving a parking place. Too bad my insurance company and car wouldn't appreciate that.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

You should definitely NOT do this. Paying for 4 new tires is rather costly and it's going to be obvious who he should come after.

You should remember this for next time: on the first day that it happens, leave a note on the windshield saying that the car will be towed by X time. Give them some wiggle room, and if they still don't move the car, call the tow truck. Ask your apartment manager for the official tow company they contract with (if they do) or just Google one.

I've had similar issues lately with some new neighbors who feel ok about borrowing my parking spot without asking first. A curt note on the windshield seems to have solved that problem for now, but they seem to be taking advantage of someone else instead. The types of people who tend to ignore parking signs and disrespect others (by blocking their garage) tend to be the ones you can only handle one way: teach them the full lesson the first time around. If you don't, they'll just take advantage of you.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I've always wanted to just ram into a car that blocked me from leaving a parking place. Too bad my insurance company and car wouldn't appreciate that.

I have had this thought many times, for various vehicle/driver issues.

"If only I had all the money in the World. ..... CRASH!!!" ;)

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
Parking in front of my garage will get your car riddled with .50 caliber bullet holes.:D I love living in the country.

Seriously I wait till they came to their car and given them a piece of my mind. No call for complete stupidity like that

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Someone parked in front of my friends gate once. He had to catch a flight so he broke the window and released the handbrake, then pushed the car out of the way. Apparently later that day the owner came back to find that someone had broken all the other windows too.

She tried to blame my friend (who offered to pay for the damage he did) for all the damage, but the police basically told her it was her own fault for parking stupidly.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Someone parked in front of my friends gate once. He had to catch a flight so he broke the window and released the handbrake, then pushed the car out of the way. Apparently later that day the owner came back to find that someone had broken all the other windows too.

She tried to blame my friend (who offered to pay for the damage he did) for all the damage, but the police basically told her it was her own fault for parking stupidly.

Wow, nice! This doesn't work on automatics though, right?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wow, nice! This doesn't work on automatics though, right?

tell you the truth you can do it just a lot more work. You have to get to the manual release lever on the transition which requires a little taking apart the stuff around the shifter. Any key will do providing it will fit in there and reach all the way done to it.

It is more work. Tricker to do and every car is a little different.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Did the alarm go off? :p

...Or did the car not have an alarm...?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Right.

You need the key to unlock the transmission shifter, which releases the Park transmission spline.

tell you the truth you can do it just a lot more work. You have to get to the manual release lever on the transition which requires a little taking apart the stuff around the shifter. Any key will do providing it will fit in there and reach all the way done to it.

It is more work. Tricker to do and every car is a little different.

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.