Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I just have to have a whinge and see if anyone else experience is similar.

.Mac frequently takes 30 seconds to a minute to load my new Mail. I have broadband and everything else loads in seconds, if not instantly. How can they justify charging for this?

And for God's sake, didn't they just buy new servers last year to handle this?

Does anyone else have the same experience?

Oh yeah, what's the point of Safari in this user environment?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
ME! I thought that my connection was flaky but I am glad, not really, to see that someone else is having issues. last night I tried to upload some files and it varied from fast to turtle slow.

I have not used my iDisk in a while... last time I used it it was not slow at all...

Tesla10X

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2003
SDCA
.mac works fine for me. It's just that dsl/cable connections are much faster downloading than uploading. it took nearly an hour to upload some files, but only 45 seconds to download them.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
When I first got my account, I never had issues with uploading. I upload to clients ftp servers from here with my cable connection and get better speeds.

It has just be recently that it appears to have slowed down... but then I have not used it in a while... I just wanted to say that I have noticed a difference, it took 5 min. to upload 700k on my cable connection, thats slow.... but I must also add, that today it was a bit faster so it may also have to do with usage.

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Well I'm glad (kind of) some people have the same experience, but I'm not talking about uploading or downloading heaps of MB, I'm just talking about clicking on the Mail button and then waiting for 2 or 3 text based emails to load.

It's usually so slow I have to browse other web pages or go make a cuppa to fill in time. It's worse than my old phone line connection. SHEESH!

SO DON'T get me started on uploading LARGE files to my website or shared folder.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I'm using it tonight and it is very slow. Very frustrating. How much am I paying for this again? It will be hard to renew. Hopefully, this is a localized problem and it isn't always like this.

I'm going to get rid of my hosted website (boring family pictures) and put them on my .mac account. That will defray the cost of our new DSL line.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I use my .Mac iDisk to backup files from my computer. While the speed isn't fantastic, it has improved over the months that I've been using the service, as has the reliability (it was a bit shaky at first). I think part of what slows down the file transferring is the interface with the OS and the Finder. In my experience, any time you use the Finder's Go -> Connect To Server or the iDisk, the connection is nowhere near as fast as it should be, and a lost connection can result in Finder slowdown or the lovely Spinning Beachball. If you like the Beachball, try connecting to FTP this way -- it's almost guaranteed. With luck, integration with .Mac will be much improved in Panther.

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
I share my dsl with flatmates. If I upload anything to my iDisk, nobody can download anymore. But that is not only with iDisk, also FTP

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I've just used the Homepage feature after uploading all of my pictures. I resized them to 640x480 but when I look at them on the new Homepage I created, they are very small. Is that how it is? What good is tiny pictures? How do you make them show up full size?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I have no problems with .Mac mail. In fact I love it and it is the main reason why I use .Mac. The iDisk on the other hand is pretty lame. On dialup it took me 5 minutes to upload a 60k file .. that's just stupid. I'm hopeing ADSL changes that or I'm going to complain directly. :mad:

jgamel

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2006
Slow .Mac

I'm using Transmit and I can never upload files faster than 56k. This is the top limit for this site, FTP or browser based, which makes it pretty useless for any quick backups. only overnighters when you don't need to be using other programs. This is slow by any broadband standards today. Does anybody know why this is?:(

Jay Gamel

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Had a play with the trial a few days ago, mainly because i'd rather use .mac for my webhost and it's additional features

All seemed good until i uploaded something, it managed an amazing 5Kbps :eek: I normally get close to 30Kbps :rolleyes: Download wasn't that much better, around 15Kbps. I will be trying again before my trial runs out, but i'm not expecting much

But then even back in the olden day with itools it was a bit on the slow side, but at least it was free so forgivable :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.