Who thinks Republicans have ruined United States?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kabunaru, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

Do you think the Republicans have ruined United States after these long eight years? Also, do you think that the Republican party is an corrupted party?
    State your reason also.
    Why or why not?

Please feel free to discuss. If you criticise me, I do not mind.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think our country is strong enough to survive a bad President. Washington corrupts all people regardless of party. Once someone gets elected they really only have one purpose and that is to get reelected, not serve the people.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think both parties have ruined the country over the past 50 years.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

The world you're searching for in this instance is "politicians".

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

America is a nation of resilience. You cant kill us. We're not ruined, we're just in a very bad situation on so many levels on so many issues.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As I understand it, the US's history is littered with bad Presidents and bad Congresses.

I think a more fundamental reason behind things now, is not a Politician, President or Party, but the electorate - namely us.

While we have always been stupid to a degree, we have only recently become lazy and insulated to an alarming degree.

The first quality is all-to-common human nature, and the third is partially a result of our Nation's history (isolated and protected by oceans etc), but the second seems to stem from modern conveniences and a re-prioritizing of culture to reflect that.

Civics have been at all-time lows. Obama seems to have resurrected an interest in it, but I am not sure how long it will last, or how superficial it is.

It is a lack of civic responsibility and a sense of shared responsibility that put us in this predicament, and elected the leaders and allowed the passage of laws. We have ourselves to blame, to a greater-or-lesser degree.

Republicans just managed to manipulate what is already there, and it happens that a certain amount of conservative philosophy dovetails with this lack of shared responsibility and civic engagement - just look at our conceptualization of Libertarianism. Even in this manipulation, however, the GOP is taking the easy way out - they are not challenging themselves or the electorate - as we have become shallow, fickle and impatient.

Democrats can be accused of manipulation and pandering in their own right, often because they are also too lazy or spineless to fight for what needs to be discussed. Democratic philosophy can more likely be moderating, but the same problem -us- bedevils both parties.

We as a nation of individuals, have lived beyond our means, shirked off and ignored the shadows of our society, and allowed our critical thinking to be done for us, or more often to be replaced by easy fixes, with little sacrifice for us - we leave this to the "future" to deal with.

We have become irresponsible in the aggregate (though we may lead reponsible individual lives), because we either ignore or don't care about the larger picture - which we have been able to get away with for close to a generation.

Well, the party's over. We should probably tank the GOP for giving us the wake-up call.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Is the USA ruined? No.

Republicans in general to blame for the situation the US finds itself? No.

I put the entire blame on that educationall sub-normal ape that's been occupying the white house for 8 years.

Doug

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I wouldn't blame the entirety of the republicans for the last 8 years, after all, it was the public that voted them in (well, not really, but we'll save that for another thread)... Everyone that voted Bush is to blame really, you could've picked Kerry or Gore, but you picked Bush. Deal with it.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have to agree with you here. We love to complain yet we continually send the same people back to Congress. Americans, by and large, don't research candidates and issues and often vote on sound bites or politicians who bring home the bacon.

I mean, come on, Ted Stevens is 85 and was almost re-elected after being found guilty on felony charges. No politician should serve for that length of time. He's been a Senator since the Eisenhower administration.

Congress is littered with others like this. These people wield enormous amounts of power and often their contributions are nothing more than bringing huge amounts of money to their states.

Congress has an approval rating in the 20s yet we re-elected about 90% of the House and 80% of the Senate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Queso macrumors G4

Not really. I'm sure the Romans thought the same after Nero's reign. Didn't stop them growing even greater under the emperors that followed though.

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Ask not what the party has done to you, but what they have done to the party.

The GOP is the party of Abraham Lincoln. The fact that it's been hijacked by fake-religious, anti-intellectual, self-righteous, subhuman vermin is unfortunate, and has created great (and perhaps permanent) damage to the United States, but it's not really Lincoln's fault. There are still some good people left within the GOP. I'm not sure how to put the party back into their hands, though. Short of mass executing the Christian Taliban, there isn't much to do except hope for good to prevail. In the meantime, vote Dem.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Did I read that as, even money can't buy a guy brains ... even though it can the oval office. :p

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it wasn't just Republicans. We've had plenty of fools lead us to where we are now.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We don't know what kind of job Gore or Kerry would have done, it could have been better or the same or worse. We don't know how a person will lead until they get there.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed.

It'll take a lot more than a Bush / Cheney cabal to ruin this country.

16. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Ronald Reagan was a good Republican president while George W. Bush made Republicans look bad.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Senile. Iran Contra. Tripled the national debt. Supplied, trained and then ignored the threat of growth of Islamic fundamentalism in Afghanistan.

This could be a fun game. Saint Ronnie.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What was so great about regan?

Lower taxes?

What happened to the countries debt?

19. kabunaru thread starter Guest

He is the only Republican I liked. I am a Liberal sometimes Moderate kind of person.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Liking != good president.

Hell, bush (appart from his atrocious treatment of the country) is a very likeable person, just watch an interview. Truly someone who, had he never been president, i woulda loved to have a beer with.

21. kabunaru thread starter Guest

And Palin is another example that gives Republicans a bad name.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

huh?

I dont find her appealing in any way. Not even a likeable person.

23. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I agree. Glad that she ruined the election for McCain.

Edit: Oh, did I forget the infamous Abraham Lincoln? He was good president as well (considering back then the Republican party had more Liberal ideas and Democratic party was more conservative). Other than that Liberals all the way!

24. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

.....which means you probably have never held a job for any length of time or paid property taxes. LOL

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

We vote for our representatives; with rare exceptions the people are solely to blame.

That said, both parties have had an extremely detrimental effect on this country. In the words of George Washington: "They [political parties] serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community; and, according to the alternate triumphs of different parties, to make the public administration the mirror of the ill-concerted and incongruous projects of faction, rather than the organ of consistent and wholesome plans digested by common counsels, and modified by mutual interests."