Who took advantage of the Refurb Ipad2 16GB

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Beanoir, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I thought i'd give it a go, i've not had an iPad before as I have an iPhone and an MBA I never really saw too much use for me personally in having another gadget - as much as I like the idea of it.

However, My OH's ancient Dell laptop gave up the ghost the other day and bless her she still struggles on with it, but she's never really had any desire to own gadgets like iPhones or the like and makes do. Unitl the other day she'd tried out her friends iPad and said how cool she thought it was and would get one if she could afford it.

So yesterday I thought for the price they were offering them in the refurb store (£289) I would surprise her with an iPad to replace her old laptop. Fingers crossed she likes it!!! (if not i'm sure I will :) )

Has anybody else just taken advantage of the refurb iPads?

2. darthastuart macrumors member

If all goes as planned, I'm hoping to take advantage of it today. :) I got a 16GB iPod Nano as a gift from work, and I'm hoping I can return it to the Apple Store at the mall for store credit. Then I've put in with eBay to sell them my iPad 1st gen for $200.

So I'll buy the refurb iPad 2 online with that gift card, then when the item ships, I'll mail in my iPad 1, get the cash, and put it straight toward the credit card bill.

in theory that is!

3. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was but looking at about $160 more after taxes, I'm putting some of my other gadgets Shuffle etc on eBay and going for the Retina. I know I'll regret it down the line.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thinking about picking up a 3G model soon. My first gen meets all of my needs, but I'd like to be able to use it at work (no open wifi) on my breaks.

I will most likely just wait a few months before I cave and buy the 3 though :)

5. unclebenny4140 macrumors newbie

This guy. :cool:

IMO, refurb 2 is a better deal. Again, this is my opinion, and I'm sure many would disagree. First, I have no need for 3G/4G/Any G what so ever. Second, the new iPad got thicker/heavier. This is not appealing to me at all. Upgraded camera? Great; I'll never use it. Processor upgrade was minimal; it will likely have the same CPU piece (dual core, 1Ghz) and just quad core graphics. I'm not going to do heavy gaming on this thing, not to mention you need more GPU power to fill the added pixels. Lastly, while the screen resolution bump is nice, I don't think it's necessary. I like 1024x768 just fine for a device of this type. I think the crazy resolution on the new one is super over-kill, especially for a device of this size. *puts on flame suit* Again, all my opinions, but for me the refurb 2 was a no brainer. $366.80 delivered for a 16GB 2 was win in my book. Don't tase me bro.

6. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

You'll be in the minority here for sure, but for your needs theres no point in wasting the 150$'s.

Plus you have two weeks to decide, so you can always compare to a 3rd gen within that time frame to see if the upgrade is worth it

7. samven582 macrumors 6502a

you could have a brand new iPad 2 for $360 if you bought it form Microcenter

8. unclebenny4140 macrumors newbie

I saw that on Slickdeals. I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me. I'm more than fine with Apple refurbs. They carry the same warranty, and have always been immaculate for me in the past (MBP and Time Capsule).

9. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Completely agree minority or not (this is an Apple fan site after all), I mean $360/£280 is a steal for the iPad2 and for what my other half will use one for (indoors with Wifi and just a bit of browsing emails etc) its' a no brainer really.

You're right, many won't agree and there are many that just "have" to have the latest gadget no matter what the difference is from the previous model - thats fine but for me a bargain is a bargain and that can't be argued with.

10. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

The refurbished iPad 2 is EVERY bit as good as a new iPad 2. I bought one a few months ago and it arrived absolutely perfect. New glass, back and battery with the same 1-year warranty at a discount is a win in my book.