Who uses Spotlight search?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plainwhitetay, Jun 1, 2012.

1. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Since I honestly can't think of ever hearing that someone legitimately uses Spotlight search, do you use it? Have you ever, and if so, what for?

I have only used it when I heard it was updated to search Messages I think it was? Other than just a test, I never use it on my phone.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never.

I don't even use Spotlight on my Macs.

3. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Nope, never use it either. I'm sure it could be useful in some circumstances, but TBH I never think of using it...it doesn't seem much faster than finding whatever you're looking for manually.

I know there's things you can do with it with a rooted iphone, but I wish it were more customizable somehow. Like I think it'd be awesome if you could assign widgets to that page, sorta like in osx, like swipe to that page for weather, sports scores, whatever.

4. plainwhitetay thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly! Since it first came out, I always thought it should have widgets there! Like how iOS 5 brought stocks and weather to NC, Apple should have put them on that page.

5. saldawop macrumors regular

Never use it.Phone is jailbroken,one of the first things I do is disable Spotlight.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I used to have a ton of apps and folders and I would sometimes use spotlight because it was quicker than flicking through everything. But I have since cleaned up my phone a lot, I have a very minimal amount of apps now so everything is easy to see and find.

Generally yeah, I don't think spotlight is all that useful if you just keep your stuff organized. It's kind of odd to me that we got that feature but there are still many other things we have been waiting for.

7. HappyCamperNS macrumors newbie

Spotlight is more for disorganized scatterbrains.

8. maliu macrumors 6502a

Finding an app I buried somewhere in a folder.

9. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

I use it infrequently and only to find apps. Never think to search for contacts, numbers, mail, messages, music, etc. but it might be quicker.

One thing that I actually wish it would do is search the dictionary. Maybe once I get a phone with Siri that won't matter as much.

Also, when it gives you the "Search Web" option, instead of redirecting you to the browser, it might be nicer/quicker to have results just populate in the spotlight screen.

10. plainwhitetay thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! A jailbreaks tweak called SpotDict gave this feature and I really wish would have done that with it.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

don't use it. another thing i wish i could at least disable in iOS.

12. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

x2

13. Daysight macrumors regular

Very handy for rapidly finding a file instead of trying to remember where I put it manually, or launching Finder and drilling down. I use it most days.

14. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if unticking the items in Settings will stop the iPhone from indexing? It seems to just hide the items from the Spotlight menu but I'm not sure.

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I have it disabled on the phone. Could be useful if you have tons of emails and texts stored on it, but I clean those out on a regular basis. On the laptops it gets used all the time, as an app launcher and to find stuff quickly.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I use it all the time. Usually it's to find an app, but sometimes I use it for music as well.

Also use Spotlight extensively on my Mac. Like, every minute or so :p

17. Djs621 macrumors regular

Same here. When I need to find an app or a song it's much easier just to swipe right and type in the first couple letters of what I'm looking for.

18. 808? macrumors 6502a

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use it when I need to look at an app that's not on my home screen since I keep it to the one page and hide the rest with some jailbreak app. I use Spotlight on my Macs all the time though.

20. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Never used it since release

Don't see the point of it

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use it, fairly often. Sometimes its easier to type the app name then try to find it. Especially when my kids move my apps around

22. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

People don't use it because it's too far away, it's practically useless. The only time people use it, is if they're using somebody else's phone and don't want to bother looking through the folders and pages.

Imagine if you in an app and you want to search for something, you have to tap on the Home button once, then tap on it again to go to the first page(If you aren't there) and then tap for the third time to switch to Spotlight, instead of doing all that most people just resort to scanning through the homescreen or just opening the app they want to search in and getting the information that way.

Spotlight, and search basically should be right under your finger tips, easily and more importantly, quickly accessible anytime you desire. That's why Spotlight should be integrated into the Notification Center, above the widgets.

That way, if you're in an app and want to search for something on the web say, you quickly pull down the Notification Center enter the search and tap go, the app will instantly switch to Safari and you're searching...

I've suggested to it Apple through their feedback page multiple times, I hope they will put Spotlight where it is supposed to be.

23. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I use it constantly to find Apps(I have over 100), Contacts(well over 100) and searching for emails(use my phone for work). I'm surprised as to how many people don't use it, on iOS and on OSX.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I can't think of a single time that I've used it, probably have never used it.