Who wants the next line of imacs to have 3tb?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mayhone1, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this, with a the possibility of an imac upgrade in the the next few thoughts who hopes for and what are your thoughts on the possibility of a 1tb hard drive starting and the possibility for a 3tb drive?

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

imo 2TB is plenty for 99% of the people out there.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

1, 2, 3, whatever... Even though I backup with Time Machine and Carbonite, it makes me nervous having a single, giant internal HDD.

I'd rather see them have an option to replace the internal optical drive (I can plug-in the MBA Superdrive for my biannual optical drive needs) with a second HDD for extra storage or for a RAID-1 configuration (keeping the SSD option intact of course).

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Who cares about massive Mechanical Drive Storage? If I want massive storage, I'll just add a multi-drive external enclosure via Thunderbolt or Firewire. I'd rather they make SSD with a mechanical 1TB drive as the standard.

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

External storage has its own set of risks, especially if you have pets, kids or idiots lurking around your workspace.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

But is easier and faster to replace, and easier to expand. "just add another!"

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For the price Apple would likely charge few people could afford it :eek:

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I suppose with time it will come, although a single 3tb drive seems a bit much. Personally I'd rather see an easier DIY upgrade path for internal storage.

9. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, plus a reason why I think they should start with 1TB as starting and allow users to go up to 3tb is that way people like me can continue to increase media, I mean theres a lot more digital movies now, and that way a person only has to buy one external drive for back up, because they would already have one large drive in their iMac instead of worrying about a lot of drives.

I think this makes more since, personally. :apple:

----------

3tb drives are not that expensive anymore a year or two ago 2tb drives were just as expensive if not more so. :apple:

----------

I would like this too, cause that way I could just replace the drive myself without worrying about this, but really I think the 3tb drive would probably come before this would be an option with the imacs, especially since they made the 2011 imacs harder to upgrade. :apple:

10. EricT43 macrumors regular

I would rather have a Thunderbolt drive enclosure that doesn't have a stupidly high price tag. $400 for 1TB is insulting.

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Add to that the state of hard drive prices from manufacturers due to flooding...one would be looking at a $600 upgrade for a 3TB drive.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When I bought my November 2009 iMac, I had about 600GB of data... but I bought a 2TB machine forecasting that I would outgrow 1TB over the life of the machine. I am currently >1TB, so it was a good move.

I am planning to get an '12 iMac once it is refreshed. I would absolutely get a 3TB drive, even though my current dataset fits into 2TB. There is a high chance that I will outgrow 2TB over the lifespan of my next computer.

My computers are double backed up: Locally via TM/TC and to the cloud via Crashplan+. I have no problem committing my data to the single drive.

/Jim

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I haven't even come close to using up the first 100gb of my 1 tb stock HDD...:eek:

14. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Who wouldn't want more storage space? (with all else being equal.) Heck, as long as we're asking for more...

Who wants the next line of imacs to have 3 yottabytes?

15. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with this!

----------

Actually Owc offers 3tb drives for around $300

----------

This is why I want a 3tb drive, I know that with the life span of my new iMac I will need 3tb, but apparently Owc is the only place that offers the upgrade, not even apple stores, and I am worried that this option will void the warranty.

16. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Cue the T- Mobile ad "We're taking the whole Internet with us!"

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I don't think there is any question that it is just a matter of time before they do offer 3TB drives (and beyond). We haven't hit some sort of magical barrier where 2TB is all everyone will ever need now and forever. Even if Thunderbolt takes off, there will still always be a desire for a high-capacity internal drive of some sort.

I have a stack of Firewire drives sitting here, but there are still some things I like to keep on my internal drive. With the internal drive I don't have to worry about me or anyone else picking up the wrong drive and wiping my data, I don't have to worry about the cord getting pulled out and having my data get corrupted and I can rely on OSX for a simple and modest level of login security for my data against prying eyes.

18. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I would have to agree with you, plus, again, I prefer to have a simple set up, having all of my data on the computer and than having one back up drive is simple and great. Apple products fit in line with this type of system. :apple:

19. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

...for now. In 5 year's time there will be people complaining their machine is equipped with only 5TB disk space.:eek: Remember 10 years ago 10GB wes considered plenty...

20. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly my point the first person who responded to this stated that they thought 2TB was enough for some people, but how do they know that really, they are one person, not most people, just because some people are good with 2tb doesn't mean all people are some people want less and some want more. I will need 3tb if not for over the lifespan of the next computer I buy, I generially try and buy one every 3-5 years and I know before that time frame I will be using 3-4 tb of space.

In the long run it all depends on who you are but if there's a market for people, who now, at present time, want a 3tb drive in the imacs shouldn't apple consider giving us that option. :apple:

21. motulist, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

motulist macrumors 601

motulist

True to some degree, BUT, I don't think the relationship is linear. In other words, I think that hard drive capacity is expanding at a faster rate than people's storage needs are expanding, and I think it's been that way for quite a while. When I got my first laptop many years ago I opted for the 40 gig drive instead of the 60 gig drive because I thought 40 gigs was huge and would meet my needs for many many years - but within a year I was already out of space and constantly offloading stuff onto optical disks. Then a few years later I bought a 500 GB drive, and it took me a couple of years till I filled it up. Then I went up to 1.5 TB of storage space, and I that's fulfilled my storage needs for several years and I don't see needing more for quite a while.

This is partly due to hard drive capacities expanding at a very fast rate, but I think a larger part of it is due to broadband and streaming services maturing and becoming an increasingly large component to how we use our computers. For example, a very large chunk of my storage space used to be filled with downloaded tv shows and movies, but today I have netflix, hulu, etc., so now I store almost no video files locally which means I actually have much lower storage needs than I used to have.

tl;dr hard drives have gotten larger quickly, but most people's need for local storage space has grown slowly over the past few years and might actually have plateaued or even shrunk.

22. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it's most people I think it's about half... :apple:

23. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

24. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree... :apple:

25. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

You've got a point by saying that. Honestly, I just picked some random numbers to illustrate what I meant. When I was choosing my iMac I considered even the 500GB drive large for my needs (coming from a laptop with 320GB of which I used no more than 100GB) but a year later I don't think such drive is 'large' as 1/3 has already been filled. For a home computer it satisfies my needs as the only user of the computer. Had I been to choose a new computer now I wouldn't have preferred an iMac with a HDD maller than 1GB. I expect 1GB will be the offering for the entry-level 2012.