Who wants to speculate on the future of the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by utcoug, Feb 24, 2012.

1. utcoug macrumors member

I welcome the new iPad, whatever it will be called. However, for those who don't care for the new high-res screen, the iPad 2 will remain a great device. Does anyone care to speculate on a price or feature reduction in the future iPad 2?

I hope the price will be reduced without a feature reduction. I can't imagine an iPad with any less than 16GB.

I imagine they will lower the price of the iPad 2 to $399 with refurb units dropping to $319. Any takers?:cool:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. utcoug thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. :rolleyes:

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I think Apple will follow the same pattern they do with the iPhones. The older models will become the budget friendly version. I do not think they will put less than 16gb because the apps for the iPad take up more memory than their iPhone counterparts (this is not including universal apps which are generally even bigger than those) and because the iPad is meant to be an entertainment device, people will want to put videos on it. I think the higher end iPad 2 will be axed just because there wouldn't be a point in keeping them around if you have a cheap iPad 2 and a proper iPad 3.

5. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

6. M87 macrumors 65816

There's not much to speculate on. If it stays in production it will be cheaper and probably only the base 16GB model.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Discontinued and dropped from the product line, same as the original iPad was.

There is no market pressure for a lower priced entry device.

They are selling as many iPads today as they can manufacture.

8. falcora macrumors 6502

I agreed with the OP at first, but you bring up a good point. If Apple can still sell as many iPads as they can possibly make, why not sell em for $499 and up?

From a business point of view, they would just be wasting manufacturing resources on devices that they couldn't make as much money on.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, they still might sell the iPad 2 for $399, but It seems less likely.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

The other factor is remember that people wanting to spend $400 on a previous generation ipad can already do so -- by buying a refurb from Apple.

iPad1 16GB 3G's are $399 and iPad2 16GB Wifi's are $419 right now -- when an ipad3 is announce expect those prices to be cut.

10. VinceDae macrumors regular

But but but... The first iPhone did also go out of production when the iPhone 3G came... - But when 3Gs came, the 3G stayed - Seems like a pattern here .. first model is a "tester"

I think the iPad 2 is going to be the budget model 16gb for 399$ - or this model if you will

16gb - iPad 2 - 399$
    32gb - iPad 3 - 499$
    64gb - iPad 3 - 599$
    128gb - iPad 3 - 729$

Thats my guess...

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Right now there's no pressure for a entry level, but this year is supposed to be the year that rival companies will be producing tablets that are actually usable. I expect that the ICS and Win8 tablets later this year will take over the entry market if Apple doesn't stake a claim there first.