Who was your favorit / most impressive at live8

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
I really enjoyed watching live8. Unfortunately I could go to London, but I did enjoyed watching it at home anyhow.

For me the most impressive was Pink Floyd. Particularly because it was the first time in 22 years that Roger Waters and David Gilmour were on stage together again. I thought their rendition of "Comfortably Numb" was the best. David Gilmour played a fantastic guitar solo at the end.

I also enjoyed U2, Coldplay, Elton John, REM, The Who, Keane and Sting.

Who did you like the most, and why?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i missed pink floyd :( hope it's re-run soon, or at least i can get a recorded copy from a friend. damn my little sister - i had to drive 400 miles to pick her up from school instead.

Wai_TungLeung

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
United Kingdom
OOoooooo so difficult to say, I don't know which one I liked better, The Who or Pink Floyd. I was so impressed by both bands on stage, I've seen a televised Who performance before so I knew what to expect. Pete Townsend just looked s000ooooOOOOOooo cool with his bold head, crusty beard, sunglasses and guitar moves! :cool: But Pink Floyd on the otherhand, I've never seen live before and only ever heard Wish You Were Here and Another Brick In The Wall. It was so impressive their music, lyrics and that lovely chill mood they give.

I loved all the other bands as well! Not too fussy over my music so I loved every rock band that came on. :D

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Roger Water reunited with the Floyd; hands down.

What an historic moment.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Dalriada said:
Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido Dido
... and well Youssou was pretty emotional too :D
Really, I thought she had some trouble reaching those high notes in "seven seconds" that sounded better sung by nina cherry.

But with the sounds turned off, I guess it was great :D ;)

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Wai_TungLeung said:
OOoooooo so difficult to say, I don't know which one I liked better, The Who or Pink Floyd.
yeah I really liked The Who as well. I have a live DVD from 2001 that still has John Entwistle, on it, thats really good. But this was certainly a very nice performance as well.

In a historic perspective Pink Floyd was the most interesting to me.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Has to be Pink Floyd. Not only because of the reunion after 20 years, but because they played like they never had been apart.

AWESOME!
Yes indeed, kind of makes you wonder if this will be the last time they came together. It also seemed as if they quite enjoyed it themselves as well.

Lets hope they will give a full concert again some time..

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Another vote for Floyd

I think the main reason for that being I wasnt even born when they split up, and so it was a monumental performance for me. I really wish they'd do just ONE more performance, as they didnt get enough time. I cant believe how awesome they sounded!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Unfortunately, I missed Pink Floyd. I'm waiting for AOL to put up their on demand streams so I can watch their performance. Pink Floyd probably would have been my favorite, having not seen them, I have to pick Neil Young. I loved his new song, and Rockin' In The Free World with everybody else was awesome. I also really enjoyed Brian Wilson in Berlin.

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
Pink Floyd for me too. Apparently their sales have gone up by more than 1000% after Saturday!!

(I have to admit to downloading a couple of albums from iTunes :) )

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
mduser63 said:
Unfortunately, I missed Pink Floyd. I'm waiting for AOL to put up their on demand streams so I can watch their performance. Pink Floyd probably would have been my favorite, having not seen them, I have to pick Neil Young. I loved his new song, and Rockin' In The Free World with everybody else was awesome. I also really enjoyed Brian Wilson in Berlin.
neil young was great. I was worried that his voice might not be good, but it was still fantastic, and the new song was a really good way to finish up

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Pink Floyd. The only good act that I caught, as a result of our dear friends over at the Music Television network. Wish I had gotten to see The Who though...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
In addition to Pink Floyd, I think Green Day played a very good set in Berlin. The BBC broadcast featured all four numbers, and even though the Queen cover finale wasn't too original they did a very nice concert...

MajorTom

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2004
Glasgow
I loved Velvet Revolver and The Who, and I'v got a soft spot for Dido!!!

Pink Floyd made the day special for me though. Even after so many years apart they still managed to sound sooooooooooooo good!!!!! :p :p :p

Cheers

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
pulsewidth947 said:
I think the main reason for that being I wasnt even born when they split up, and so it was a monumental performance for me. I really wish they'd do just ONE more performance, as they didnt get enough time. I cant believe how awesome they sounded!

OK, I'm old.

I saw the final performance of The Wall at Earls Court, which was (I think) the last performance together, I don't think they toured the Final Cut album.

It was fabulous to see them together again, dodgy drum fills and slightly strained vocals and all.

They didn't sound ANY different, "Comfortably Numb" is THE guitar solo.

Floyd rock.

Kaver

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
Godzone
Brought tears to my eyes!

Pink Floyd's performance brought tears to my eyes, I had to incline my head away so my wife couldn't see I was crying! I also had wet eyes when I replayed their performance a second time.

The Who were very impressive also - really got the audience moving!

Simply stunning after putting up with the previous 8 hours of mediocrity!
Makes one wonder about modern bands, when guys in their late 50's and early 60's can produce such magical music! :rolleyes:

Old..... Kaver

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Pink Floyd without a doubt.

That moment when Dave looked at Nick the drummer when Roger started singing ... sent a shiver down my spine. Their whole performance was just mind blowing. I'll never forget it. There were lots of clips of the audience singing along and everything. It brought tears to my eyes.

Did anyone else notice the camera zoomed right in on the Tate modern and then panning out on the rest of London? Reminded me of the front cover of Animals from the angle it was taken :D

It was obvious everyone was really paying attention at that point, if you know what I mean. Pink Floyd back on stage after all these years and for a good cause.

Doesn't get any better.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Kaver said:
Makes one wonder about modern bands, when guys in their late 50's and early 60's can produce such magical music! :rolleyes:
I have to agree. I guess I could be accused of having a old fashioned music taste, but indeed those old guys really stole the show.

The Who rocked harder / better than anyone, and Pink Floyd showed brilliant musicianship simply not matched by any of the new bands (including the IMO best ones like Coldplay and Keane). I think its a shame that we don't see that level of musicianship and compositional talent in modern bands.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Wish I was There

I can't really add any more to the what's been said about the Pink Floyd and Who performance.

EGT said:
Did anyone else notice the camera zoomed right in on the Tate modern and then panning out on the rest of London? Reminded me of the front cover of Animals from the angle it was taken :D
The camera actually zoomed on the Battersea Powerstation, which was the cover shot on animals.

It was also a beautiful moment when Roger tributed WYWH to Syd.

Truly marvellous.