Who went from the 5s to the 6 plus? Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trickhot3102, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys! I have a 5s and I'm considering going to a 6 Plus. I'm on contract, so I wanna see what Verizon can do for me. I'm wondering what you think about going from the 5s to the 6+? Good upgrade? It's not that much faster than the 5s and its still got the 1gb of RAM, but I WANT DAT SCREEN! Lol! But yeah, I'm a little tired of the 4 inch screen lol.

Also, can I even do it because the 5s is on contract? I just thought I'd have to pay a little up front and they'd add some money on my bill, and I could get it.

So, whatcha think? Would it be a good upgrade, or should I just wait?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Afaik if you're in contract you either need to pay your etf or buy outright.

I went from the 5s to 6 plus and, aside from a few gripes, I'm happy. But itsnik about the screen. If it wasn't for the screen I woukdngo back to the 5s

3. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Good luck with Verizon. My experience with them has always been if you're not due for an upgrade then expect to pay full price.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 5S was ahead of its time in terms of performance so you won't notice a huge boost there. It's all about the screen. It's a totally different world and I would strongly recommend it if you can get one.

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I went from 5S to 6 Plus, and like the change. I spent a lot of time at the Apple store handling the 6 and the Plus first. I can hold and use the 6 just like the 5S. The Plus does, on occasion, need 2 hands. But with the larger screen I find myself using the phone way more for video and iBooks than I used to. FYI, both phones fit in all my pockets . . . I checked that out first.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I made the same transition. The 5s is still a great phone, but it seems so tiny now that I have the Plus.

7. neile45 macrumors regular

close, I went from the 5c to the 6 plus, size is the biggest difference, I can't tell much with speed, though, I didn't do as much on my 5c as I do on my 6+, because now it is more comfortable to use.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I upgraded from a 5s to a 6+ and it is great.

If you're in the middle of a contract, you're probably not going to have much luck upgrading. Have you looked into the carrier financing plans like "EDGE" or "NEXT"?

9. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

You could choose to go for the EDGE program, and then just sell your 5S to put toward that cost.

Your other option is to get the Sprint Cut Your Bill in Half thing -- if you are coming from Verizon you get the equivalent plan at 50% the cost - you need to bring your bill in with you, though.

Oh, and they pay your ETF I believe.

10. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! It sounds like it's all about the screen. Honestly, I dont know if it's worth the upgrade! Lol. but yeah, I am in the middle of a contract, so I don't think I'll have much luck. I thought that they could work with me a bit. Lol maybe pay some up front and add some on my bill. I guess I can see what they say, but it's probably not gonna work from what you guys are saying :( idk if it's worth the 900 bucks to buy it outright.

----------

Hi, thanks for replying :) may I ask what the ETF is? Is it what I have left to pay off? Is there a way to find out how much that would be?

----------

I was wondering how that works! If I did that, how much would the 6 plus cost? Would it be the 299 399 499 price, or the full ammount? Also,'idk if you'd know, but how is sprint?

11. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys good news! I'm going to check out the sprint cut your bill in half thing! If I do that, I think Im gonna buy the 6+ outright so I won't be tied down to a contract! Lol anyone have sprint? How is it?

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Definitely check the coverage in your area before committing. My sister and her husband both have Sprint and I can't tell you how many times I've had to lend her my AT&T iPhone so she can show a video or access a web site (when out of a wifi area).

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Went from 5S to 6 plus and think it's a great move. Performance wise neither was a slouch, but the bigger scene makes so much more possible.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Etf stands for early termination fee. It's something like $350 minus $10 for every month you've fulfilled out of your contract (might be slightly different I didn't look up Verizon's exact policy). I imagine you can look it up online or just call Verizon. The latter might not be a bad choice because it will get retentions POSSIBLY offer you something to stay with them. I know ATT has been relatively helpful for many people in this regard.

I personally wouldn't touch Sorint with a ten foot pole. Been there done that. Their offers always sound great. There's a reason for that.

Also consider the fact that a sprint phone csn never (I never say never, but not currently) be used on another carrier in the states because they refuse to allow unlocks. If you go with Sorint and buy outright I would look into buying something lightly used.

15. veronica.m macrumors newbie

Depends on what you use your phone for

If your main use for the phone is texting, browsing the web or playing games then yes, it is a good upgrade.

On the other hand, if what you do most is you know... talk on the phone I think the 5s size is better.

You can always go for the regular 6 which is "middle ground"

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I did.

It took about 3 days to be fully comfortable with the screen size but after that no issues.

I spent a short time at my Apple Store playing with working demo models accessing sites on it etc.

17. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Well, I don't watch movies and stuff like that. I do use it to watch YouTube videos, play games, surf the web and texting. I don't wanna get the 6 because I think it's way to close to the 5s (same PPI count, same camera with no OIS)

----------

Now I'm a little hesitant! Lol I'll definitely check out the coverage in my area first :) it just seems like a lot better deal to go with sprint. I'll get a 64gb 6+ for 849 PLUS I can trade in my 5s to go towards the 6 plus. Then my bill will go down! Lol

18. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

I went from 5c to 6+. I don't really notice the difference in terms of speed but I made the switch for the screen. I have to say it's amazing, I debated for a while between an android flagship and this one and in the end I decided to just stay with iPhones. I am still in contract from 5c, I just decided to buy the phone outright and switch sim. I'm on Verizon. They won't let you upgrade unless your contract is up within 7 days. That's their policy.

About Sprint.... I'd rather go to T-mobile if I was given the choice. Sprint is domestic only, does not unlock and they rather have terrible coverage. They're steadily losing customers every quarter from what I've been hearing. In my area, only one person I know has Sprint and she can't get signal so Sprint had to send her a booster. Sprint is offering these great sounding deals to lure people but they're still losing people.

But, if coverage is great in your area and you don't plan on changing carriers or moving/traveling any time soon, it's an option.

19. tdale macrumors 65816

Agree. I don't really see a speed difference. My 16yo daughter has my 5S so I can place side by side, by anecdotally it seems similar speed. The screen is the key. Carrying around is an issue, do I get a folio case, or do I get a carry thing?

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

I did and therefore you should go for it.

By the way, the plus model is the same size as a calculator, such as an old HP business and finance model.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I say since your phone is only a year old, and you're still in contract. Hold off.

Consider that apple will address some of the short comings of the IP6+ with the next release, so that will be beneficial. I guess, if you're intent on getting the IP6+, sell the 5s and buy the IP6+ full price.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you absolutely sure about screen size and general dimensions?
    The portability factor of the iPhone 6+ is quite different from the 5S, and you could find it uncomfortable after a while. It's not a rule, don't get me wrong, but think about it.

23. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I don't know when your contract started, but I know AT&T had a promo where you could upgrade to a new device on Next without an ETF if your contract started somewhere around Feb 2, 2014 or earlier. I don't know if Verizon does similar with Edge.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

That's is what I did. The 5s now feels small and awkward , for for it, the screen is awesome.

25. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I'm very happy with the size of my 6+.

Yet I'd be lying if I said I like iOS 8.

Apple can do so much better than a bug ridden annoying OS. But the real problem is people don't seem to have a desire to hold Apple accountable. So they take the easy way out and "just ship it".

Apple's gone from a premium company with fine hardware and software to a mediocre company running on hype, fairy dust, and fat profits from those who think Apple's Magic.