Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Before the fanboys get out the pitchforks let me say this, I really like Samsung phones and think they are an innovator and really push the industry forward

Ok having said that, Samsung seems to be really alienating and putting off much of their fanbase(many do not care I realize). Samsung seems to be on a decline, who do you think will be the next Samsung and will really be forward thinking and be huge? I personally think it is a good thing for a company to fall from grace, it will just make them work harder which will be good for consumers. Who honestly really wants the same company to reign supreme for ever(Apple fanatics dont answer)?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think it'll likely be Xiaomi or Huawei that will be the next big giant Android OEM. Especially when you see the market globally.

That being said despite some MAJOR missteps by Samsung especially regarding their release strategy this year - I honestly do not think they are going anywhere for a long while yet. They will remain the ubitiquous Android OEM for a long while yet even when they stick two fingers up to one of their biggest territories.

But certainly they have struggled with the emulating the success sales figures that they had with the Galaxy S3 & Note 2 - their biggest selling Galaxy S & Note devices to date - subsequent.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Do you think they can turn the ship around before it is too late?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
No one, Samsung is HUGE.

I am no Samsung fan at all, I am a pure Nexus geek. But Samsung is one of the biggest manufacturing and engineering companies on this planet, Samsung is a GIANT corporation. No other Android OEM comes even close. LG is in second place, and everyone else drops off from there.

Yeah I suppose those Chinese OEMs might start competing strongly with them in another 2 or 3 years.

And yes the Note 2 IMO was by far the best Note phone. That thing was the battery beast champion, I still think the Note 2 running a custom ROM + Kernel is one of the best battery life smartphones ever, besides those freaky 5,000mAh Asian phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0nicpr0s

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you think they can turn the ship around before it is too late?

Yes. They do have plenty of time. They need to understand that they need to stop going after Apple consumers to further sales and give Android users a stronger reason to stay with Samsung rather than any of the myriad other Android OEM's.

A real refreshed Touchwiz and an emphasis on great experience for the end user both in its low - mid range devices (biggest growth area Android wise) will go a long way to winning back consumer confidence and loyalty.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It will be one of the upcoming Chinese OEMs. My money's on Xiaomi. However they will have to evolve beyond their current strategy of putting out iPhone clones before they can become a big player in the west because Apple will sue them to kingdom Cum.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
If samsung would make another GPE or stock android style phone I'd sing their praises. They just need to get out of their own way. Update your phones for 3+ years like apple (and google mostly) does and don't make me buy a carrier variant. Maybe it is just me, but I am always hearing about how x update ruined x samsung phone. save all that money you are spending on touchwiz and spend it on supporting the phones longer.

don't know who the next samsung will be, this year has been rather depressing for android

Last edited:
Reactions: co.ag.2005

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't think so either. They'll duke it out for second (if they're not already second) with everyone else.
I don't see anyother Android OEM unseating Samsung from the top Android phone maker anytime soon. BUT....they are not going to make the profits or sell the numbers of the old days. The Android smartphone space is getting very crowded these days.

Reactions: tbayrgs

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Motorola/Lenovo. They have the ability to win marketshare in both the developing countries and developed countries.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Xiaomi is my pick. However, I don't know. They are NOTORIOUS for copying Apple, but won't release a lot of their devices in the US because Apple will go after their ass.

Reactions: jamezr

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think it'll likely be Xiaomi or Huawei that will be the next big giant Android OEM. Especially when you see the market globally.

That being said despite some MAJOR missteps by Samsung especially regarding their release strategy this year - I honestly do not think they are going anywhere for a long while yet. They will remain the ubitiquous Android OEM for a long while yet even when they stick two fingers up to one of their biggest territories.

But certainly they have struggled with the emulating the success sales figures that they had with the Galaxy S3 & Note 2 - their biggest selling Galaxy S & Note devices to date - subsequent.

Yep, once those guys migrate west they are going to dominate. Quality hardware with half the price of Samsung phones and a good variety. Add that to Samsung trying to sell a crippled Note 4 rehash, they are going to be in for a big surprise this year.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
There won't even be 14nm socs next year by other Android oems Samsung is now officially 2 years ahead of the pack. Snapdragon 820 won't even be out in 2015 and Samsung is already working on a72 cores.

Woopty doo they took out sd cards and removable batteries.

Name one oem including apple that can match just the displays in Samsung phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
There won't even be 14nm socs next year by other Android oems Samsung is now officially 2 years ahead of the pack. Snapdragon 820 won't even be out in 2015 and Samsung is already working on a72 cores.

Woopty doo they took out sd cards and removable batteries.

Name one oem including apple that can match just the displays in Samsung phones.

More useless power? What app needs that much CPU? I'm not talking about games, the amount of consumers who buy a phone for games has to be pretty small. I'd think removable battery and memory is much more commercially viable than a higher spec CPU that has no use, although I know the power of bullet point specs is powerful especially when the consumer is clueless why those specs even matter, or don't.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
More useless power? What app needs that much CPU? I'm not talking about games, the amount of consumers who buy a phone for games has to be pretty small. I'd think removable battery and memory is much more commercially viable than a higher spec CPU that has no use, although I know the power of bullet point specs is powerful especially when the consumer is clueless why those specs even matter, or don't.

Forget about performance I'm talking power efficiency and heat on the process node.

Just like the snapdragon 810 is a volcano.

The a72 cores will draw up to 40-60% less power

Consumers do care about specs its how the galaxy phones got to be the king of Android.they have always lead the market with the latest specs and even the freaking iPhone 6s is nothing more then a power boost spec upgrade of the iPhone 6

Let's see what the 6s is
2gb ram ddr4 hopefully
12mp camera
Higher resolution screen hopefully super amoled
Bigger battery
40% faster cpu
60% faster gpu
Looks exactly the same as the iPhone 6

So wtf is apple doing with the s models if people don't care about specs?

Ohh crap I almost forgot the iPhone has no removable battery and no sdcard!

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung will be the next Samsung. I think present slab designs are stagnant, but Samsung is really the only major company showing us what it has in store for the near future. They have been basically cold advertising their foldable and bendable screens. And the S6 was just a small teaser. If they succeed in making their brand synonymous with that, and it catches on, Samsung will be king in a new era of smartphones.

I'm just curious ...... if or when that era comes, will they still use Android or bring Tizen into the mainstream.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Forget about performance I'm talking power efficiency and heat on the process node.

Consumers do care about specs its how the galaxy phones got to be the king of Android.they have always lead the market with the latest specs and even the freaking iPhone 6s is nothing more then a power boost spec upgrade of the iPhone 6

It's still

Let's see what the 6s is
2gb ram ddr4 hopefully
12mp camera
Higher resolution screen hopefully super amoled
Bigger battery
40% faster cpu
60% faster gpu
Looks exactly the same as the iPhone 6

So wtf is apple doing with the s models if people don't care about specs?

Ohh crap I almost forgot the iPhone has no removable battery and no sdcard!

Apple can sell dog crap and sell it in droves, but they are the only company to have that luxury. Sure, as I mentioned, bullet points on a marketing list sell phones, I don't disagree there, even if they are useless upgrades. 64bit comes to mind as a good example of useless.

Samsung needs more than specs. Look at how the Note 4 sold compared to the iPhone 6 plus and that's obvious. Better screen, stylus, processor, RAM, etc and how did the sales number compare?

And the Note 5 has no removable battery and no sdcard!!!! lol

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
If they go Tizen.....

1422777155941.gif

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Samsung will be the next Samsung. I think present slab designs are stagnant, but Samsung is really the only major company showing us what it has in store for the near future. They have been basically cold advertising their foldable and bendable screens. And the S6 was just a small teaser. If they succeed in making their brand synonymous with that, and it catches on, Samsung will be king in a new era of smartphones.

I'm just curious ...... if or when that era comes, will they still use Android or bring Tizen into the mainstream.

Now that IS a game changer. Fold a smartphone out into a tablet, that would be a huge hit. But it's just wishful thinking until something actually gets released, or at least shown. I still think Microsoft is the only true innovator out there now, yes laughable but at least they are showing some balls IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.