Who will be Time Person of the Year ?

daimos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Who will get it this year? Last year was the Metoo movement.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
It will not be a person this year, either, something else is my guess ;)
That is open for personal interpretations.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
This is something that used to matter a lot more than it seems to, these days.

And the magazine runs the risk of being seen as far too American centric if their focus is mainly on the US.

From the mid fifties until around twenty years ago, my father took out a subscription to TIME, which he cancelled in the late 90s, as the actual serious news content of the publication had shrivelled and shrunk (while the pictorial content had exponentially increased) and he no longer thought it worth the price, for in his opinion, the quality of the content had deteriorated drastically over time.

Reactions: jkcerda and LizKat

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I think Trump has already printed off a cover of him winning this year, and it's being hung in a nice antique frame in the Lincoln Bedroom

Reactions: LizKat

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Man of the Year is not enough for Trump. He thinks he's the Man of the Century.

It's brussels sprouts, by the way...
(and Daylight Saving Time - take the s from here and put it there)

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
But didn't Jeff Bezos win in 1999?
LOL maybe that was when he was seen as a white hat kinda competitor for that Time cover. Now perhaps he's eligible for Man of the Year in other categories. I'd go on but this isn't PRSI. :D

This has devolved into a meaningless exercise in an attempt to stay relevant
Yah it's just hard to figure out how not to do that annual cover as long as they mean to keep publishing the magazine. What are they going to do instead, pretend it's just another issue? The person or thing "Of The Year" issue still creates enough buzz so people at least check into the online version even if they don't buy newsstand copies. One wonders what they'll have on the cover of their last hardcopy issue, if they ever decide to just publish online rather than fold.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
The North
Up to, and after 2006 I haven't really cared one way or the other. But that one year, that was something else.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I wonder has there been thought of giving it to Elon Musk. Yes, he can be quite controversial, but SpaceX is redefining commercial space flight and Tesla perhaps the first serious challenger to the entrenched automobile industry in many decades.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I wonder has there been thought of giving it to Elon Musk. Yes, he can be quite controversial, but SpaceX is redefining commercial space flight and Tesla perhaps the first serious challenger to the entrenched automobile industry in many decades.
The thing is, that what makes ripples in the United States, does not always translate to a story that had a major effect world wide.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
It's brussels sprouts, by the way...
(and Daylight Saving Time - take the s from here and put it there)
I know, but I just found my avatar in a google search rather than creating it myself.

I don’t understand the DST reference though?....

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I know, but I just found my avatar in a google search rather than creating it myself.

I don’t understand the DST reference though?....
People say "Daylight SavingS Time" when it shouldn't have the "S" at the end
Hence, take the "s" from there and add to Brussels
Common misuses is all