Who will most likely be the next CEO of Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallnshort247, Jan 20, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I know Steve Jobs hasn't stepped down yet, but I was just wondering who would take over if he did. I know Tim Cook is going to fill in while Steve tends to his health. So, would Tim Cook most likely be the next CEO since he seems to fill in when Steve Isn't around?

If you don't think it's Tim, who do you think it would be?

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Generally speaking, jobs as such are filled internally when anyone has already had experience in that position, as is the case with Cook.

I don't like to speculate too much, but given the man's obviously degrading health, retirement may be the best choice for the sake of his own well being, and any professional acting solely on the interests and his health and well being will say the same thing if his condition has deteriorated more than suspected. Liver transplants have come a long way, but people with liver transplants have a much lower lifespan and almost always take immosupressents for the rest of their life. Given he has already had major illnesses, repressing his immune system has the potential to cause significant harm and a much higher probability of a transplant recipient without previous health issues such as his. Also, infectious and chronic disease development will happen at a faster and higher rate in people on drugs to decrease immune response. Without the immunosupressents however, virtually all transplant patients will die...it's a double edged sword.

I really hope this is not liver related as if it has anything to do with the liver, it is beyond serious. Unfortunately, given he's had a transplant, some type of degenerative liver disease and cancer, ANY health issues he has will have the potential to have devastating effects. The man needs time to relax, reduce stress, and get back to living as best he can. Most likely, the stress of his position is not doing him any good and I am actually glad to hear he is taking a break and getting himself together health wise.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I feel that there is no question that it's Tim Cook. For most companies (Apple especially) the CEO position wouldn't be filled by an outsider with no prior involvement in the company. Tim Cook has always seemed very on par with Steve in the general vision for the company and did quite well in filling in Steve's absence in the past. Although I don't Steve stepping down any time soon when he does I would say that you can be sure that Tim Cook will be filling in his position.

But just to throw another idea out there that I haven't put too much thought into before, what do people think about Phil Schiller?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Phil Schiller is just the presenter, the puppet as you may think of it. The master moving the strings is either Jobs or Cook.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apparently not. :rolleyes:

6. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I would say there are three front runners.

Tim Cook, the probable choice.
    Johny Ive
    Phil Schiller

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would love to say Ive because he seems to be the closest to Jobs's vision when it comes to product design, etc. But, he probably couldn't handle the business side of Apple. Maybe co-CEO's of Cook and Ive. :p

8. TSE macrumors 68030

I don't get why people say Jonathan Ive. He is an industrial designer. He gets told by Steve what to design, and he does it.

He is absolutely awesome at what he does. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If I was a betting man, my money would be on Cook.