Who will Republicans run in 2020?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So the liberal media is going to put their heel down on Trumps throat, you can't seriously think he still has a chance at this point, how will the Republican Party keep the band of idiots who ran this year from trying again in 2020? By then Hillary will have done nothing of substance, probably gotten quite a few Americans killed, oversaw the destruction of health insurance in the US, and possibly generated a war after paying back her special interests who helped seat her. Who on the Republican side can get the job done?

I'm thinking Paul Ryan might run next time, he definitely seems like he could be presidential and be a formidable opponent to Hillary.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll be amazed if the Republicans don't alter their rules to make sure that someone like Trump can't get the nomination again. We'll probably see a lot more super delegates on their team in 2020.

Who will they nominate? Haven't a clue. Probably one of the guys who ran this time. I don't see a whole lot of fresh faces. Maybe it'll finally be Kasich's turn.

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Kasich is too timid and boring, you need someone with a bit more oomph, I can't see Kasich really going after Hillary which is what his base will want.

I think you are right about the rule change though, I'm guessing the republicans were wishing they would have rigged it now.

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of folks liked Rubio, and his debate meltdown will be way in his past. Either that or people will be ok with the Bush v Clinton race they thought was inevitable this year.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Cruz will run again and will lose again. Its either going to be Ryan or someone who is not actually on the Radar at the moment. They need to put people like Rudy Giuliani and Newt Ginsberg out to graze.
    Support from them is like a death wish.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The better question is will there even be a singular Republican Party in 2020?

7. Limey77 macrumors regular

Even if the Republican Party still exists, which is looking doubtful, it won't matter.

Between now and then there'll be a lot of bitter infighting, the Trump supporters will still be disenfranchised and what remains of the right will be splintered.

The real question that you should be asking is "what can the republicans do to ensure they have a shot at the presidency in 2024?"

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let's not kid ourselves, both of these candidates are dog food past their expiration date. Trump just managed to make himself look worse than the other piece of **** which should be commended. It takes effort to look worse than the most corrupt presidential candidate in history Trump you did it.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Under normal circumstances I might agree with you, but the Republican party is in danger of its own constituents revolting against it. I think we'll have to wait for a while and see how the party recovers before it becomes clearer how they'll move forward in the future.

And here is an example of the rebellious constituent who won't be satisfied with a conventional conservative candidate. The RNC is going to have to find a way to please someone like ZA, while selecting a candidate with cross-over appeal.

That is a tall, tall order.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    Again, I will disagree. I think HRC is capable of being a fine president. She wouldn't have been my first, second, or third choice, but she should be up to the task.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The same Hillary-hatin' Paul Ryan from this article?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/clinton-paul-ryan-poverty-plan-227207

Want to eliminate poverty? Give more value to work, raise wages well above inflation since the top via its tax cuts and entitlements would freely trickle down everything back to the workers. You know, what trickle down economics was supposed to do but hasn't? At least with wages, Reagan's tax increases quickly showed trickle down was a redistribution of wealth.
    And thanks to the last month, any claim that they were long-time friends and how Bill called up Donald to run as a plant no longer hold any credibility. Trump certainly cut loose, anyone watching the second debate saw how Bill was remarkable at keeping composure under the circumstances. Bill made mistakes, but he paid for them. And back then, Democratic supporters were saying "Keep personal lives out of it" (unlike today, which seems rather odd. Oh, wait, Trump isn't running as a Democrat, is that the reason for the double standard?)
    Cruz wasn't perfect but he impressed me with a couple of proposed solutions. Rubio is just another hack.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Fire the idiot in charge. Regroup and move on. Trump gives an excuse for the Clinton PR team (media) to make a big deal about some imagined party fracture, but if anything Trump has just burned out the Tea Party welcome.
    People like Cruz don't stand a chance. It will be someone like Ryan or Rubio.

The left should be concerned. The best they could put up there was a 70 year old bag with no plan.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The distain you wear on your sleeve for Hillary undercuts any truly neutral views on the subject as your statement mostly serves to pick a partisan cat fight. Hillary could be a great President, it the Republicans can mange to pull their heads out of their asses, accept they lost again, and truly have the interests of the US at heart. What has been going on for the last 8 years in Congress is a negligent, self destructive, and dereliction of duty disgrace. Based on this performances, there really are no Republicans currently in view who are qualified for the position of POTUS. Let them dig their heal in until they bury themselves into obscurity.

13. 5684697 Suspended

The question is whether the country will even be here after four years of Hillary's corruption, or whether she will allow for an open election in the first place? We will be a third world dictatorship or adopt Putin's Russian model for elections. I predict Clinton will win in 2020 with 93% of the vote!

That said, they should run SMOD 2020, assuming we survive SMOD 2016.

Only half kidding. ;)

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's 2020. You're a Republican candidate for President. You supported Trump in 2016. Guess what ads are going to be run against you? - @TheRickWilson

15. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

HRC has so many skeletons out of the closet that we aren't even phased by new revelations.

I feel bad for any of Hillarys political opponents, prepare for extreme targeting through the IRS and if you want anything done make sure to donate to the foundation.

16. Plutonius, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A social conservative is DOA in a general election.

1/2 the republican party currently hates Ryan and democrats will never vote for him.

There will still be division. The people in the never trump movement are foolish to think things will go back to the way they were in the Republican party.

Any problems that Hillary encounters will be blamed on congress by the media. The only shot that the Republicans have for the presidency is if the Democrats take both the house and senate. Then Hillary has to succeed or fail on her own and she can't rely on the press to shield her.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Ted Cruz is going to run. That is beyond obvious.
    New rule: All candidates MUST release their tax returns.

18. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They will vote against Hillary though, you could run a rock and they would vote for that over Hillary.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've criticized the Democrats for not bringing their bench along, but it's not like they have no bench at all. They don't do enough ground-up support in state legislatures, and they have gone with the machine top-down approach to get Clinton to where she is right now. It's harder to elect a Senator than a Governor, or so it was said until Barack Obama came along, but the Dems do have some promising Senators. In some ways it was natural for the Dem machine to prefer Clinton in 2016 because she had a strong operation in 2008 and it was maintained. But it contributed to suppression of name recognition of a bunch of Dem Senators who by all rights should have got more exposure during the 2016 primaries. The party may pay a penalty for this next time around because we still live in such a celebrity culture.

Cruz kicked himself in the behind with his late endorsement of Trump... for awhile at least he would do better to stick in the Senate, he's smart and tough and could end up very powerful there, but he hasn't learned to wield power without advertising that's what he's doing... (personally I hope he never learns LOL). GOP will probably put up a somewhat more moderate-"talking"(?) ticket that includes Rubio next time, meanwhile give the boot to some of their problematic and too-small-anyway fringe base and try once again to reach out to Hispanics. That last there was in their original plan for 2016. Hard to remember that, once Trump burst onto the scene. Still, Hispanics are often social conservatives, and they are a vibrant part of the small business networks that underpin so much of our economy. That could make a GOP approach to fiscal and regulatory issues appealing.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Probably everybody but bush who ran this year will try for the next nomination.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Bank on that one. Funny, the Dems have had to come down a notch on that and the Republicans doubtless wish they'd had a structure like the Dems had this year... meeting in the middle next time the both of them LOL.

23. aaronvan, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Probably Rubio. (However, Trump will run as an independent. I guarantee it.)

I'm rooting for this guy:

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If an establishment Republican like Ryan wins the primary, a majority of the Trump people will vote third party or vote write in similar to the way the never trump people did with Trump.

Ryan would lose badly.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But if they aren't one they won't even make it that far since they can't get past the primary.