Who will the GOP run in 2016?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 7, 2014.

1. aaronvan, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They have some sitting and former governors who might run:

Chris Christie
    Bobby Jindal
    John Kasich
    Mike Pence
    Scott Walker
    Jeb Bush
    Nikki Haley

A couple GOP senators will probably run:

Ted Cruz
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio

I don't know of any GOP House members with the national support to conceivably entertain a run for the White House.

All in all, this is a pretty weak bench. I included Bobby Jindal and Ted Cruz for laughs. Gov. Kasich and Sen. Paul, maybe, but I don't think Paul is ready for prime time.

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

3. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Whoever runs, hilarity is guaranteed to ensue.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

running & making it to the top all depends on the RNC, the people can pick whomever they wish, the RNC/GOP will decide who represents the ticket, they changed the rules after Ron Paul ran.
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...s-changes-how-the-establishment-stole-the-gop
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-on-convention-floor-over-ron-paul-delegates/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...supporters-gather-signatures-for-rules-fight/

unless the guy you support magically makes it to the top, you are essentially wasting your vote with the GOP. they can go fornicate themselves.

EDIT. Seems Hillary is not running
    [​IMG]

:p

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

If Hilary didn't run it would make the upcoming election a million times more exciting.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

find me a democrat willing to end the war & supports the 2nd, I'll be happy to vote for that. might have to write in Pedro if I don't find someone I support.

8. Symtex macrumors 6502a

find me a candidate that will amend the 2nd and pass a gun restriction bill.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

most democrats would fit that bill. Hillary's hubby passed an AWB.

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I think most democrats loves gun too. So it won't probably happen

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

not sure they love guns as much as understand the 2nd is a RIGHT. that and the NRA keeps them in line :p

12. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

:D:D:D:DOh I'm laughing so hard....

You were joking right??

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Let's add Nikki Haley (SC Governor) to the list.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Without understanding the context of that "right": very few people outside of a military or organized militia could actually get their hands on a gun at the time that Bill of Rights was written, due to the fact that they weren't yet mass produced.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I honestly don't think the forefathers would approve of the interpretation of the 2nd amendment today. Then again, there's a lot of constitutional interpretations they wouldn't approve of. Many which benefit liberal causes.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Good catch.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

She spent her entire first term pretty much deflecting anything and everything that came her way. And she got reelected by a very large margin. I think we're going to see more of Haley.

And I would strongly support her candidacy too, if for no other reason than to get her out of here :)

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee.......and will Sarah Palin give it a shot? :eek:

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Who cares? Potato or Potato? I'd rather vote on which blade of grass will grow faster in my backyard. I'd probably have better odds in choosing the right one. All so that I may mow it down.:D

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio is on the ticket, either Presidential or VP.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Cruz will definitely not be in the mix, unless in 2 years time the Reds actually work with the Blues and, beyond all audacity, get 2/3rds of the states to pass a Constitutional Amendment that modifies Article 2 Section 1 of the Constitution to allow Canadians to be deemed 'natural born citizens'.

I don't see that happening EVER, let alone in the next 24 months.

BL.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Cruz is already a natural born citizen via his mother. (Just as Obama would've been even if he hadn't been born in Hawaii...)

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

His actual citizenship may be called into question, but I haven't heard any issue on this. As for Governor Terminator, he may have a friend in Orrin Hatch who has worked with republicans and some democrats to make it a possibility and the big money behind Arnold can come out of nowhere and get close at least.

Cruz isn't exactly in same boat as the Terminator but be sure if he gets far in republican primary in 2016, you can guarantee some GOP opponents will push this issue.

But at the end of the day Cruz is too far to the right to be of any consequence and at best will finish top among the Tea Party who will only have a ceremonial showing in the primary.

2016 goes to Christie as the GOP will try and capture the independents they need to win. It's all lip service to Tea Party until the GOP wants to actually get something done. Republicans rallied with Santorum early on but backed Romney when they wanted independents. Those same republicans had a lot of fun with Huckabee but ran to the center with McCain to get most votes. And in 2000, the party backed Bush over a far right Bauer or Keyes.

Liberals like me hope the GOP self destructs and picks a sure loser like a far right Cruz or Allen West. :)

24. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

This whole "He/She's 'too far to the right' and could never get elected" thing concerns me. A lot of winning candidates (i.e. Joni Ernst) fit that description in last week's election.

I suppose it depends on which way the pendulum swings in 2016.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They may get elected in red states but never on a national basis.