Who Wins and Loses in Trump's Budget?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Mar 16, 2017.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Winners: Military (bigly), DHS (slightly), Veterans (slightly)
    Losers: Everyone else, especially the State Department and EPA

2. HEK Suspended

HEK

Yeah....i'm sure the auto companies would have reduced emissions of cars if left to their own volition. NOT

And all the factories dumping waste chemicals into the great lakes. They would have voluntarily cleaned up their act. Right.....when pigs fly.

What's wrong with Republicans. It was Nixon that created the EPA. Todays Republicans don't like clean air and water?

Short sighted, screw the public in favor of big buisiness party.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Well clearly all he wants is to bring production jobs back into the US at any cost. He can say that x and y are now doing business here creating z jobs. But it's only because these companies will get big tax breaks and won't have to care about any regulations. So I guess working people exposed to dangerous toxins and getting sick with a crappy TrumpCare healthcare system is better than unemployed healthy people ;)

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

Now you getting on the donald's adgenda. Don't forget it will make the wealthy richer as well.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Can't wait to see how much of his budget proposal is accepted.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Among other things, this budget goes after:

Education
    The arts
    Home heating oil help for poor people
    Meals on wheels for the elderly.

Seriously question Republicans: what kind of monster have you unleashed? You really want people to be dumb and have no culture? You really want old people to starve and poor people to freeze to death? Really?

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If those things are valuable, people can and will donate to those causes. Throwing more money at something that is failing (public education as an example) is not the answer. Using public funds for a cause that is incredibly one sided(NPR) clearly they could adopt the model that keeps conservative talk radio on the air(buy gold!:D)

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Much more than that. This also removes all funding to the CPB, which some public rural radio stations depend on, meaning there will be no access to news or weather for people out in rural areas (read: some Indian reservations).

Apparently Trump likes his people to be like himself; a malignant case of wall to wall d*****se, so they can be as easily manipulated as him.

BL.

9. kobalap macrumors 6502

The Great Lakes states were the deciding factor in the elections. It wasn't just Republicans who voted for Trump in those states. Lots of Democrats and independents voted for Trump or stayed at home.

My guess is if that the people of Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan cared about the environment, they would have done something during he last election.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Also rural transportation is cut.

Cut food, heat, education, culture, information, healthcare and even transportation.

Dear Mr. Trump: Why do you hate your own voters so much?

11. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Jeez, how much worse can it really get?

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh, you didn't know?

He also cuts the budget to HHS; a department in his very own cabinet.

So not only does he contradict himself with a farce of a "healthcare plan", but also bites the hand that feeds. He stated that no-one will lose any healthcare, but is dropping funding to the very department that will be in charge of said healthcare.

Again, malignant case of wall-to-wall d*****se.

Umm.. you do realize that you own public radio as well, right?

Congratulations for wanting to get rid of something that is actually yours to keep by going commercial, and being at the will and opinions of those who pay for those commercials.

BL.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow.

And here I thought Sean Spicer was bad. Listening to Mick Mulvaney, the budget director take the podium to defend and spin cutting meals on wheels as somehow being compassionate is truly mind boggling. And the notion that they have to cut things that aren't demonstrating results is truly laughable.

Grandma is not starving to death. There's your result. There is your metric.

What an absolute monster this guy is.

14. poloponies Suspended

They've got 4 long years to contemplate their buyers' remorse.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Maybe people shouldn't abandon Gram Gram and actually be the ones feeding her?

16. kobalap macrumors 6502

And providing her with whatever spending money she needs. And providing for her healthcare needs.

I am all good with dismantling social security and medicare.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So, the reason that these programs were started long long long ago, is that needs were not being met. Here's what happens when the economy tanks:

• Charitable donations by corporations dry up.
    • Individuals also stop donating to charity.
    • Families barely make ends meet and often do not make ends meet. Hence the need for government assistance because that is the only entity that can make up the shortfall during down times in the economy.
    Now, you can make the case that in periods of strengthening economy, some reliance on programs can be cut back on and I would consider it. But those programs are there for a reason not just there for the heck of it.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump is throwing everything out except the military and a few other things.

Given that he lacks any class - I'm not surprised that he is cutting funding for the arts. But it's also interesting given the fact that at one time he was a Broadway producer.... sort of.

19. poloponies Suspended

I'm fine with dismantling both provided I get back all the money I've paid in over the last several decades. My SSA contributions are probably close to $200K by now.Give me my money back and we'll call it even.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm good with dismantling conservative administrations, conservative politicians, conservative policies and conservative anything at this point....and all they stand for.

Because it seems like the thing they stand for most, is giving people the middle finger. So a dose of their own medicine is in order I think. This attitude is what drove me right away from the party many years ago.

Compassionate conservative my ass. I did not see any evidence of that today, nor do I see evidence of it in these forums.

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So people's vital needs should be dependent upon arbitrary charity. Gotcha.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's better than some people being more generous with other peoples money. So uhhh yeah. Charity is better.

23. kobalap macrumors 6502

Seniors voted for Trump. Great Lakes states voted for Trump. Many of the poor in red states voted for Trump.

I am not that fancy - I can only deduce two options:

1) These people are stupid.
    2) These people are smarter than liberals give them credit for - its just that they don't want the welfare that liberals keep insisting that they get.

I tend to believe in the latter. People are almost always smarter than what they are given credit for.

24. juanm, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

And yet you don't complain as much when the DoD budget goes through the roof. Spending a LOT of OPM on bombs is fine, yet spending a tiny amount of OPM on vital needs for your own citizens somehow is not ok (mind you, that money will actually keep circulating in the economy, it's not "lost"). Yay.

25. kobalap macrumors 6502

This is something people seem to continue to misunderstand - You are not saving/paying for your retirement with social security. You are paying for somebody else's retirement. Your $200k is gone. It was spent by someone you are not related to or ever heard about. Your retirement will be funded by the next generation of social security contributors.

The only way to put an end to the madness is to put an end to social security. The boomer generation is about to bankrupt this country. And every one of them will be thinking they deserve and are entitled to their social security because they paid for it when in fact, they did not - they paid for someone else's social security.