Who won't be ditching their Macbook Pro Retina for 2015 Macbook Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DanGoh, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

The design and color options are stupid cool, but I can't see myself ditching my 2013 13" MBPr for it.

Also: I'm not totally computer savvy, but isn't the core M processor a downgrade from an Intel chip processor in terms of power?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Who ? I would say the vast majority of MB Pro Retina owners.

How can you compare the MB Pro Retina with the 12" MB Air ?

Actually WHY are you comparing the two.

:confused:

3. Airboy1466, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015

Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

the Retina macbook pro kills it in every category except weight Yes i think the Retina macbook pro is more portable “why” it has more ports in case i need them no need to be carrying 10 adapters just to end up losing

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They are two completely different products, designed for different user needs. Your question is like asking who won't be ditching their MacBook Pro Retina for a new iMac or Mac Pro. Just because they're both notebook computers doesn't mean it makes sense to compare them in all situations.
    MacBook, not MacBook Air.

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

why would someone want to downgrade to an inferior laptop? it will probably turn out that the new cpu is gonna be weaker than the one it replaces. like they did with mac mini and with the 21" imac. it's all about using cheapest hardware that they can, and still be able to charge high prices.

macbook 12" - less features than 11" & 13" macbook air, but more $.

6. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why anybody would unless they're barely using their macbook pro to it's potential. The new retina macbook has less ports, less power, and a smaller screen. The only real advantages are the thinness and weight.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I stand corrected on the name but still. How can you compare the 13" Retina MB Pro to the 12" Macbook ?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm in complete agreement. Different products for different needs.

9. MaulRx Suspended

I don't understand the introduction of the MacBook and keeping the Air. Needless to say my 13.3 Retina Pro will be with me for awhile.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They're simply treating it as a whole new product at a higher price point and keeping the non-retina MBAs separate at a lower price point. Makes sense to me.

I'll be keeping my late 2013 13" rMBP as well.

----------

Quite a few people jumped up to the rMBP simply because of the high-res display and not because they needed more power or ports. Those are the people who will be considering the new rMB.

Everyone else has reason to keep their rMBP, and I'm sure the majority of rMBP owners will.

11. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

This is no where near a replacement for an actual laptop of any sort.

If anything this is more of a replacement for a iPad + Keyboard combo. Which is also why Apple i believe apple kept the entire macbook air line. If you need a portable laptop, you should still get an Air, but if you need something more multi tasking friendly for a lot of the iPad productivity use cases, this should be your solution.

12. Samtb macrumors 65816

It's the same price as a 13 inch rmbp.

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

People need to realize this laptop is not suppose to be an extension of the MacBook Pro line. This is an extension of the MacBook Air line.

14. Samtb macrumors 65816

But it has lower processing power than the mba line. Yet they charge as much as the Mbp line.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Although I want one, I think a 13" rMBP would be a much better deal.

16. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Not me. No thank you to one port. My 15'' rMBP is just fine.

Yea the colors are SUPER cool dudeeeeeeee and its really light....but wait i cant charge and have a usb plugged in at same time? WACK

17. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Yes you can, for $79 :)

18. alexwei macrumors regular

I won't. I'd rather wait a little longer to see if Apple will upgrade the MacBook pro. Hopefully this isn't part of the strategy for them to abandon the Pro line completely.

19. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Welp, I guess I'll be the only one switching Bye retina Pro. Just got a rMBP 13", 2 weeks ago. Returned within my 14days & got my cash back. I use it for surfing web, retina screen, email, iMessage, & iMovie so the lovely new rMB will be fine. I also like the space gray that matches my iP6, the much lighter weight, & better keys. This with the Black Sport Watch & I'm good for a while.

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I don't have cash to burn, obviously I'm keeping the 13" Retina MacBook Pro I have at the moment for a long time.

21. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I think the people more likely to switch are the MBA users. People who bought the 12 rMBP wanted more power, in which case the new Macbook retina will be quite a step backwards. Though lets wait for the benchmarks to see

22. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I would sell my 15" rMBP in a heartbeat if there were at least a 14" version.

23. Nozuka macrumors 65816

unless you are doing some photo/videoediting or gaming you most likely won't even notice the difference in CPU power.

and if you do, the MacBook Pro is the right one for you.

the Air will eventually disappear.