Who would bring a bomb (real or fake) into an airport?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Sep 21, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Her.

The ATHF prank was dumb and silly, and the overreaction was a bit, well, over the top. This, was just dumb - I don't think I would have even considered shooting her to be an overreaction. If it looks like a duck...

I mean seriously - is this the kind of genius that gets into schools like MIT? No wonder the rest of the world is racing past us.

2. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Like Carlos Mencia says. DE DE DE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should have just shot her so people like that will stop polluting the bloodline. What a dumb a**

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The Fox News take on it:

Attached Files:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, I don't think there is ever really a point of "overreaction" when we're talking about bombs strapped to people's bodies, real or not.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I'm feeling alot better about my chances of getting into MIT...:rolleyes:

8. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Foresight must not be a requirement for admission to MIT. I think the security reaction was entirely appropriate.

9. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

shoot to kill. End this madness already. How have these folk gotten this far is what astounds me. I couldn't possiby be this stupid. Just shoot me!:eek:

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It wasn't a prank and she wasn't wearing a "fake bomb". It was "art"*, representing her pride in being enrolled in electrical engineering and computer science at MIT. It was also Darwin-award level stupid. When you are outside of your own home and wearing, displaying, carrying or even saying something, you have to be aware of what kind of signals you're sending into your environment.

It's like how I wear meat pants sometimes. Pants made of crispy, cripsy bacon and tender cuts of sirloin, a delicate arrangement of juicy flavours and smokey delights, pleats replete with the delectable and mouth-watering seasoning of eleven herbs and spices. Sure I'll wear them in the comfort of my own home, on the bus or even to the supermarket. But I don't wear them when I'm strutting around African Lion Safari.

*If you use the term as loosely as humanly possible.

11. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Absolutely retarded - art? Yeah, let me bring a fake gun into the airport and call it 'art'. Seriously, I am surprised that the police didn't shoot her head off.. she's very very lucky.. (not really, with a brain like that)

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

How many years ago did they start putting the ding-dong machines in airports? And get into the security thing? How many people were "detained" for just jokingly using the word "bomb"?

For decades, airports have been one place where supposedly-funny is not regarded with tolerance. Airport people are paid to NOT have a sense of humor.

Some people refuse to learn anything about the world they live in. This sweet little idiot is walking/talking proof that IQ and common sense do not necessarily go together.

'Rat

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

14. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

when I was 20, 1980 i had a large purse, Iwas trying to close it so my stuff would not spill out , my husband said to me in a soft voice hurry the heck up, they are going to think you have a bomb in there....ok now we are detaned, FBI is called we miss our flight.... I beat my husband(just kidding) and never let him live it down ever......it happens

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

She is stupid and incredibly lucky to be alive today.

Just shows that idiots can get into good schools as well! ;)

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just...massively stupid. :rolleyes:

She should be eternally thankful for such training. Otherwise she might be on a slab right now.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

so circuit boards are now considered bombs?

will i get arrested if i bring a bowling ball onto a plane?

how about a cell phone? aren't most ied's triggered by cellphones these days?

i think her "art" was performance, rather than object. you could title it, "brainless meets brainless: provoking a reaction from morons with guns"

18. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

TV's post seems to indicate that those guys may not have been morons.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Uh, what do the majority of bombers have when they blow themselves up? You know, something strapped to their chest/stomach area. And each bomb type device needs some sort of trigger mechanism.

Why do you say morons with guns? If the police/reaction force had been morons, she would have been killed. Instead they acted with great restraint and composure in stressful situation.

She is one person who is very lucky to be alive.

20. RacerX macrumors 65832

What this really shows is just how sick our country has gotten. It is critically ill with fear, and this is a shining example of how far off track we are.

How many of you saw what she was wearing?

Guys, it wasn't just art... it was a name tag! She was wearing a board with LEDs in the shape of a star. It was pinned to her sweat shirt. We are talking about a plastic board, about 11 LEDs, some wire and powered by a 9 volt battery.

For this, the news media (and airport security) created this mass of disinformation? And for this all of you are attacking her?

There are definitely some intellectually challenged people in this world, and this girl doesn't seem to be one of them.

People... check to make sure you know what you are talking about before attacking others. Do at least 5 minutes of research before letting your knees jerk you to an erroneous conclusion.

And for the sake of our country, stop empowering terrorists! You don't fight terrorism with draconian security measures, that only enhances terrorism. You fight terrorism with bravery and by living without irrational fear.

Your odds of dying in a terrorist attack are significantly lower than dying in a car accident. But strangely I don't see massive amounts of effort going into promoting safe driving and I highly doubt that all of you are afraid to go out on the roads (though I would bet that many of you are primary contributers to gawker's block when accidents do happen). Heck, we would save more American lives if we banned phones and texting while operating a motor vehicle.

You guys, your reactions here are exactly why terrorism works. And it is why parts of our own government have been using fear to push politics. It is why the media misrepresents innocent stories for ratings.

Please, try to stop falling for this stuff.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

There are a few places on Earth where you are not allowed to be a jackass, no excuses. This list includes airports. For someone as smart as she is, she should have known better.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wow. Great Post. To be honest, I was on board with everyone else before I bothered to look at the pictures. And you're right. This is complete overreaction and the idea of prosecuting this girl is ridiculous.

23. RacerX macrumors 65832

Qualify that remark... how was she a jackass?

Mistaken in her attire? Sure. Ill informed of what might set off people at the airport? Maybe.

But lets be absolutely clear... there is no way that anyone with training could have mistook that as a bomb.

But even more to the point, seeing as we are defining jackass moves... How and why was this turned into a nation wide media event with massive amounts of inaccurate information?

Yeah, there are jackasses involved in this story... but you're pointing to the wrong person. And your harsh statement for someone who has done you no ill well more aptly qualifies you for the title of jackass then some girl who made a mistake picking up a friend at the airport.

Why don't you start helping put some perspective on this by dialing back your overly harsh comments towards her.

24. RacerX macrumors 65832

Me too.

My wife works at the airport, so the first time I heard about the story I got the she was trying to fake a bomb line. When I looked into it further I found out that this massive story was really a non-story.

Airport security could have solved this by holding her for a while and making sure she understood why she was being held. Instead we have hyped language designed to illicit a predictable public response to a story the public never needed to hear. :eek: