Who Would Like To See Blu ray In The New Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gan6660, Aug 18, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

:apple:I have been searching and havent found much about the possibility of blu ray in the new macbooks. I personally would love to have it. Wouldnt it be great to have a feature where you could watch blu ray on your laptop or stream it to you iPhone or iPod Touch wirelessy. So tell me what you think.:apple:

:apple:iPod Touch
    :apple:3g iPod Nano
    :apple:1g iPod shuffle
    :apple:Future Macbook Owner

2. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Why would you want to stream a 1080p film to a 320p screen?

But yes I would like bluray on a mbp (with an updated screen resolution), the screen res isn't high enough to want 1080p on a macbook

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

no one.

What is the point? Blu-ray will soon go under as on-line disbursement of HD media increases.

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

But for downloads it takes up hard drive space and Blu ray is still better quality. The Blu ray movies on my PS3 look better than the downloads from my 360. :apple:

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Blu-ray would be a good option, but it looks like Apple is not moving in that direction.

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Don't care about Blu-ray. Do care about MacBooks, though. Waiting for the new ones to come out.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i would like to see the option in a mac pro first ...

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Who wouldnt like bluray but I doubt it maybe in the nehalem macbooks will have bluray.

10. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I think it is too expensive right now, especially for a slot-loading drive. Mac Pro's with tray-loading will probably get them first.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a 52" sony bravia xbr4 that I connect with my xbox 360 via connect 360 from my mac to watch 1080p mkv movies with dts and comparing the exact same movie on a bluray disc via ps3 I cant tell the different whatsoever, sound or video quality.

Since then I sold the ps3 and just d/l the bluray movies and stream them to my xbox 360 and works exactly the same.

The reason why bluray movies are much bigger in size is due to the amount of sounds that goes into it especially if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 dedicated home theatre.

I have had b&w 805S speakers with the matching htm4 center piece channel and using the 685's at the rear and with the ps3 does sound better with more details at the rears but since then I sold my 805S and center piece channel and just used the 685 upfront for 2 channel system and still works very well.

Especially streaming the bluray movies to the xbox 360 I dont even really notice the difference unless I have a dedicated 5.1.

12. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

Blue Ray is tooo expensive, tbh I care not for HD movies, my dvd player suits me fine

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Boy are u missing out, hd is so good if done right with the right hdtv (ahem, sony bravia xbr series) and a sound system that I would MUCH rather watch bluray movies at home than to go out to the movie theatres hundred times fold heh.

14. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Let's go back to vhs or laser disc why we are at it.

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So if you have 5.1 or 7.1 the size is larger?:confused::confused:

adding x.x isn't really making the file that much bigger, isn't the sample and bit rate a lot higher? 48/24?

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Pretty much more details in the sound and more sound too. Bluray supposedly the believers say that the you get sound that you normally wouldnt get especially in surrounds because of the huge amount of space that the bluray contains.

Anyway watching an mkv bluray or the actual bluray on the ps3 of the exact same movie, I couldnt tell the difference whatsoever UNLESS your running a 7.1 or 5.1 dedicated surround system to notice the differences between the mkv file and the bluray movie in details in sound and pretty much more sounds. Other wise the picture quality looks exactly the same (I couldnt tell the difference no matter how many times I compared and different movies to make the decision to sell my ps3 and I'm usually very anal about picture quality).

But you have to have a really good surround system not the home theatre in the box bulls*it but real dedicated speakers with very good receivers/power amps that you can distinguish the differences.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If by everyone you mean absolutely no one then spot on. Just what we need, Blu Ray on a 12 x 8 screen.

18. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

right, more details cause it's in a higher sample and bit rate... not because some guy added extra sound effects (more sound??)... but even if he did, that wouldn't effect the size. The audio is bounced down to a few channels, that render could included silence or 10000 SFX and it would still be the same size.

19. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

a few problems with this:

1. Blu Ray Discs are like $9.99 EACH!!!

2. The Optical Drives are still expensive

4. It's just not common enough for it to work out. wait about 1-2 years.

5. if they do include it it should be an OPTION.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. It's not a high-def screen.
    2. Battery life would be 30 minutes.
    3. Put your sig in your sig.

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The 1080 Blu-Ray movies I've ripped have been in the 25 to 30 gb range for the video only, even when encoded in H.264. The reason they are larger is because of frame size and bitrate. The audio files are typically in the 2 to 3 gb range for True HD (Dolby Digital) or the high-end DTS.

22. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

i agree - but i LOVE slot loading drives - the only laptops to have them BESIDES the macbooks, are the Dell XPS line. and between them and the macbooks i want a macbook.

23. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

What tv are you viewing these on? What is your viewing distance? Is your tv calibrated? What size are these mkv files, if they are around the 10gb or smaller there should be no way they are the same quality of blu ray they would be compressed way to much. What movies are you watching and are any from the first tier on this list.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

wtf?

Why would I care about blu-ray movies on a 13" screen? 60" hd plasma, sure, but who cares about my macbook?

I think the days of using media (CDs) to watch movies on portable devices is is past. It kills battery life and the picture isn't going to be much better.

I can see its usefulness for hd TVs, but not so much computers.

25. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Me least of all... In fact i wrote a whole thread on why this is pointless for everyone in the peripherals section.

Naturally i got a lot of lovers, but also alot of people who saw what i was getting at. The thread was a great success in discussing the future pros cons and possibilities behind optical media.