Who would like to see Watch available in a larger size?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by w00tini, Apr 26, 2015.

1. w00tini macrumors 6502a

I am very much liking the watch. The 42mm feels just right for me. Yet, as an average sized guy (6 foot, 165lb), I can see where a larger size (maybe 46mm or so) might be interesting for larger people. Also, knowing the recent trends in the watch space where larger faces have been increasingly popular it begs the question...

Anyone else feel there may be a Plus sized opportunity here like with the iPhone? If so, what would you like to see Apple and App devs do with a bit more screen surface area?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I have a slightly below average sized wrist for a man, and the 42mm fits perfectly. They should release a 46mm one.

3. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

They should just ditch the huge screen bezels. Edge to edge display would make the devices feel a lot bigger. Plus it's chunkier than it needs to be. You can almost guarantee the second gen will be thinner and have larger screens. Sort of hoping they'll do a circular version at some point, cause I've always thought that looked better. Moto 360 being an example.

4. wepiii macrumors 6502

It's apples only product that really needs to be super thin and it's one of their chunkiest. I wish it would have been larger and thinner.

5. earthdog macrumors member

Definitely would like to see a larger display. A 46mm to 48mm would be perfect. As someone who wears Breitlings this is a small and extremely light watch. Very pleased with ver 1.0.

6. w00tini thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am sure some of the people with larger fingers would appreciate a larger screen for easier and more accurate contact with the watch face.

Personally I think a larger screen would also unlock another level of interactivity just like the iPhone 6+ has for the iPhone platform. Not to say the smaller watches are lacking in any way, but I can see glances (for example) being a bit more robust on a 46-48mm screen.

Also, a larger screen/body might include a FaceTime camera for video chat.

7. Vin2015 macrumors member

Already stated in another post, I wish they had at least a 45mm size watch. I personally would also like some added heft, the watch feels like a kids toy to me.

8. sparkeyben macrumors newbie

I would like to see a bigger screen. Maybe a 48mm or even 50mm.
    I normally wore a 52mm Nixon 51-30. It's a big heavy watch. My Apple Watch feels small on my wrist now.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

It will get somewhat thinner with time, I'm guessing, but it won't be paper thin anytime soon. I'd actually prefer 36mm with a narrower bezel, but am fine with 38mm. I don't think we'll see a version larger than 42mm anytime soon. Apple knew what was out there and made a conscious decision to go smaller. I think others will copy them.

----------

Interesting. I have the 38mm stainless steel with classic band and it feels very substantial to me. I'm coming from a 36mm quartz dress watch.

10. Vin2015 macrumors member

I come more from the mechanical sport watch world. Hopefully they will add versions that appeal to a wider audience.

Honestly though, i can't imagine a man wanting a smaller/lighter than the 38mm models.:D

11. w00tini, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

w00tini thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anything mechanical is going to have a heavier weight for obvious reasons, and probably be why some will feel the AW seems light/not substantial in comparison if their previous watch was mechanical. even the larger quartz have more weight than the AW. that's not necessarily a good way to gauge a product's durability of course, but to some the 'feel' of weight helps define the experience... for better or worse.

12. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I would not after wearing my 42mm for 3 days. The watch would bind when I flexed my wrists.

13. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

I'd love to see a bigger version. Being 6 feet five and weighing in at 230lbs I reckon a 50mm would suit me perfect. My regular training watch, a Suunto ambit 2 is about that size and I love it

14. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

15. shenfrey macrumors 68000

You think the moto 360 looks better than Apple Watch?

16. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I do.

18. shenfrey macrumors 68000

19. leenak macrumors 68020

20. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Thickness doesn't bother me coming from a SS GShock - they are about the same - but I'd be all over a 50-52mm screen. Hopefully they make some wider and thicker link bands too.

21. rosshm16 macrumors newbie

I think that three sizes could be popular:

35 mm (women's model, basically)
    40 mm
    45 mm

Or something like that.

22. Mac 128, Apr 26, 2015

Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Since Jony Ive has said he understands that as soon as a customer wears a product they have the expectation of choice, so by Gen 2 I would expect to see a smaller 34-36 watch, and maybe a larger watch as well. So four models altogether.

We can expect to see different case materials, especially a $1-2K gold colored option, and gold anodized aluminum. Gen 2 will definitely be slimmer. And there will be a round model, though that may take until Gen 3 -- it depends on how serious Apple is about this fashion thing.

23. DononyG2 macrumors member

DononyG2

48 is the perfect size watch..especially for someone over 6 feet. 38 is terribly small, woman small. Unless of course you're not use to wearing watches.

24. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Love apple. Just like round watches.

25. JarScott, Apr 26, 2015

JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Yep. The Apple Watch looks chunky and awkward. It really doesn't resemble a watch at all, at least the Moto 360 tries to do that. The Apple Watch is just a mini iPhone strapped to your wrist. Everything about it confuses me and, I hate to say it...I really, really do...but I don't believe Steve Jobs would have liked this product in the slightest. What they've created is not a watch, it's just a screen attached to your wrist. Apple should have gone in a different direction and thought of how they could build on the classic watch format, rather than attempt to replace it whilst ultimately failing to create something which is 'different' or sticks out. It seems to me that the actual watch function of the device is a tiny after thought and none of the 'faces' appeal to me at all.

Although I fully appreciate Steve is dead and buried and Apple had to move on. I just don't think the Apple Watch is up to Apple's standards. It doesn't feel like an Apple product or a product which should even exist. The product category feels gimmicky and I wish it would just go away or for somebody to actually work out what a smartwatch is even for. The majority of Apple Watch users are likely Apple fans who bought it because it's new and because Apple made it, not because they actually have much use for such a device. Also, Apple is not a jeweller and it shows at every point in the delivery of this product. It feels awkward, odd and ultimately wrong.

At this point, Apple Watch feels like a novelty.

----------

This.