Whole Foods Market coming to London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, May 23, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

High Street Kensington, to be precise... this sounds like a good thing. I've read so many people on this board saying good things about them.

This is going to be their biggest store worldwide. June 6th opening day...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/11/news/wbfood.php

2. dcv macrumors G3

Ahhh, and it's nice and local for me so I'm sure I'll be popping in there at some point :)

I'm still annoyed that they closed Barkers down though :(

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

i heart whole foods.

wait, that was a crazy short post :[

i go shopping almost only at whole foods and wild oats (acquired by whole foods) here...it's not cheap, but they have a LOT of food and stuff that's not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be and you get to find things you can't even begin to think about finding elsewhere here...I love it. speaking of which, i was gonna go tomorrow morning to get stuff for dinner :eek:

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's excellent news. I was a regular when I lived in L.A. :)

Too bad I am not in west London, eh?

snag.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Can someone explain the difference between a Whole Foods store and Planet Organic or Fresh And Wild? Are they going to have a significantly better range and quality?

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I guess it's handy for some people but I can't help thinking it's just big business trying to exploit a market that's a bit trendy at the moment.I'll keep going to Brixton Wholefoods more suited to my style and pocket.:)

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I dunno the more local place you've mentioned, but that's really how I feel about Whole Foods. Seems any time I mention as such though, one of their staunch supporters smacks me in the back o' the head. :D I prefer Trader Joe's or New Leaf (even smaller little place) or other tiny places. That said, I know I'm lucky and live in a place w/ incredible access to fresh produce and whatnot. :D

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Being in East London I don't think it would be worth the effort.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Same for anywhere outside of Kensington/Knightsbridge/Chelsea really. But if it's successful, they could open further branches so it's worth keeping an eye on.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

fresh and wild and whole foods are now one and the same, it's simply a rebranding thing.

The last time I went to a fresh and wild was the one in kensington near portobello road, it was closing down, so I think whole foods has just bought fresh and wild and is just moving the store to the high street and rebranding it under their own name.

tbh I prefered the old location as it was easy to park.

I wish they just opened a store in edinburgh, I can't find a place to buy allot of stuff I like.

11. iGav macrumors G3

You can get better food in the East London markets anyway. *Hollers* Any 10 for a pound :D

12. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks Mord. I shall await their coming to Soho then :)

13. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Whole foods is an aweseome place to buy meat, cheese, fish, or poultry. It can be expensive. I suggest a balance on what you buy where. Unless you want to spend twice as much on your groceries, you might figure out what is worth spending more money on. For me it is the things listed above.

14. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Oh it's going to be SUCH an awesome store. I'm jealous! Imagine how different the stuff will be compared to in stores here. One of my favourite things to do is visit Whole Foods (or other similar natural food or gourmet grocery stores) in different cities around the US.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

&$@# I forgot about Trader Joe's which is also pretty sweet...but whole foods has more reasonable parking usually :eek:

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I L<3 Trader Joes. They have such wonderfully tasting mangos in the summer. I just wish it was closer to us. I think the closest one is at least five miles away. With the way gas prices are climbing it's just so much easier to zip over to the local Shoppers or walk to the Giant supermarket.

Either way, Whole Foods was the only place I could find Raspberry Leaf and Pregnancy tea back when I was trying to get the little one to come out (it didn't work, but it was worth a shot). Not to mention that the Whole Foods cakes are so yummy.

17. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If you look at Health food shops on this page:

http://www.healon.co.uk/east/efood.html

you'll see a selection of places in East London,it's out of my manor so I can't recommend any though, Food For All in Stoke Newington looks interesting.There are good places all around inner London many of them run by volunteers as co-ops, its worth checking out.

19. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Ridley Road is only twenty minutes away. A great choice of foods from all over.

20. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Cheers for the useful link. Stoke Newington is fifteen minutes walk away and so I'm well aware of the many food places. Church St. consists almost entire of estate agents and eateries.