Whoops.... How do I get back all of my music from my iPods?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMpathetic, Feb 7, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I recently traded my PowerBook G4 Titanium for a Thinkpad T60 Core Duo at 2GHz. Anyway, I backed up all my music to my external HD, but I realized I had to format it so XP could see it, and lo and behold, all my data was gone.

I need to rip my music off of my iPods, which are a 5.5G and a touch.

I've tried iPodRip but it asks me to install some stupid .NET framework thing.

What should I do to get all my music back?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, the .NET Framework thing isn't dangerous. Download it from Microsoft's homepage if you have reason to believe that iPodRip will do the job. With a Windows PC you probably will run into more .NET based software sooner or later anyway.

Regarding the external HD; If you haven't used the drive after formatting it, it might be possible to recover most or all data.

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

did you originally use both ipods on your powerbook?

if so, ipodrip/windows xp won't recognize it natively so you won't be able to get your music anyway

4. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

In OSX I would just use "iPodDisk".

It allows you to copy the songs out of the iPod easily.

Link:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19890

You need to install MacFuse though. It should be no problem also, the link is also in the webpage I posted above.

Hope it helps

5. macguitarhero macrumors newbie

I use Senuti. It can be found on www.opensourcemac.org. You don't have to install any extra software to get it to work. It's done the job well.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Considering that iMpathetic traded a PowerBook for a Thinkpad and talks about XP and .NET Framework, it would make more sense to recommend Windows software. Granted, it's posted in "Mac Basics and Help", but still...

If the OP has access to a Mac, those programs will work fine. Otherwise a program like Macdrive most likely will be required to access the iPods' Mac file systems.

7. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, I have a mac, but it'll be really hard to get it hooked up to etherwebs to download anything. Btw, what I meant about ipodrip is that even after I install the framework it doesn't work.

So, alternates please!

How?(sorry for the double post I'm on my iPod)

8. schreck macrumors regular

This application works great. Its interface is very similar to that of iTunes.

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

As jeffmc hinted, it probably doesn't work (even with the framework) because the iPods was used with (and thus formatted for) Macs. In that case, give MacDrive a try.

If MacDrive doesn't work, your best bet probably is getting Senuti onto your Mac either by CD burned/downloaded from another computer or hooking it up to the "etherwebs". Not that "really hard" sounds promising. :/

There are data recovery applications available that might work for some or most files. I have to check around a bit before recommending a specific one though, and it probably won't be free (or even cheap). In the meantime - make sure you don't use the drive at all.

10. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Will do. I actually have my iBook so senuti should work fine. Does it work with the touch though?

11. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

According to the release notes, Senuti has experimental support for the touch.

12. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic