WhoownsAmerica?Hint:It’s not China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quest7, Jan 4, 2012.

1. quest7 macrumors member

quest7

Hong Kong: $121.9 billion (0.9 percent)

Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)

Taiwan: $153.4 billion (1.1 percent)

Brazil: $211.4 billion (1.5 percent)

Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)

Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)

Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)

State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion (2.2 percent)

Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)

United Kingdom: $346.5 billion (2.4 percent)

Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)

State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)

Japan: $912.4 billion (6.4 percent)

U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)

China: $1.16 trillion (8 percent)

The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)

Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)

So America owes foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt. But America owes America $9.8 trillion.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/21/who-owns-america-hint-its-not-china/

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry if this is a sign of my ignorance, but I'm unclear of your point.:confused:

3. quest7 thread starter macrumors member

quest7

No problem, I read this on another site and thought it was interesting.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Except that the US debt to itself cannot be called in, and the debt to China can. The conclusion is specious at best.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

But - as a worst case scenario - the US could just print the money it needs to give to China, since the debt is in USD. There are downsides to doing this... but it could be done.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

No, we cannot. The loss of dollar value would be much worse than paying interest on our debt. Although, it's already happening, to a point, by printing money right now. If we don't start paying down debt it's all useless talking points anyway. Has anyone seen the latest on debt:GDP? Wow, we are in serious trouble folks.

It appears that decades of massive government expansion is finally catching up with us and our fiscal future looks quite bleak. Other than pondering possible solutions I try not to think about it too much because I don't care much for vomiting, significant sudden weight loss and spontaneous development of numerous OCD's.

/sigh

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I didn't say it was a good idea .... :) Just that it could be done. If debt holders ever really really pushed and called their loans, one option would simply be print the money. Debt paid. It may cause other problems, of a scale gigantic.... but it is technically an option. And an option that other countries don't have, as most debt is held in USD.

9. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Printing money to pay the deft is defaulting on the debt. It's called a soft default. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Like I said.... didn't say there were no consequences - or that it was a good idea. Just that it could be done. Other countries, whose debts are in USD, don't have the option at all. I don't expect this scenario... just saying that it is an option. Perhaps a bad option... but it is an option.

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

This is quite a list. How about international bankers that set up the federal reserve bank in 1913. The Rothchilds. A private banking family. The Rothchilds control most of the world finances through fraud! I could go on....

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Can you cite any actual sources? I mean besides the usual conspiracy theory sources ...

Don't forget about the Morgans, the Rockefellers, Mellons, Pierponts, etc.... many of whom happened to be Dutch incidentally....