Who's Afraid to Fly ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

An article reported that a United airlines pilot showed up for a flight in street clothes and proceeded to complain about her divorce and politics over the PA system. She then said she was going to let her co-pilot fly since he was a man and that the passengers could get off if they didn't feel safe. After half the passengers left the plane, a new pilot replaced her and the plane left two hours late.

I myself have few qualms about flying but I'm usually more concerned about the pilots then the equipment when I fly.

Do you have any concerns about flying and is it more to do with the pilots or with the equipment ?

I wonder if Trump was mentioned in her political discourse :).

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I always had the fear of being forced to fly United since I flew with them few years back. #Unitedophobia

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I prefer not to be thousands of feet in the air, it's not that big of a deal.

If I do fly, I want the window seat so I can look at the scenery and get a clear view of my impending death in the event of a crash.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From when I read the story originally she called Trump and Clinton *******s.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What I found is some passengers get a little squeamish when you start watching "Sully" on your iPad (yeah I did it).

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The meltdown continues.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I mean there are a couple movies that would be worse to watch while flying. I thought it was a good movie. Heck the cockpit recordings are awesome to listen to, just how calm and collected he is while he is actively planning on landing in the Hudson.

9. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Who were the other half of passengers that stayed? Lol. They were ok with this unstable woman in the cockpit?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

She was removed from the flight, so I don't think that was the case.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm disappointed that no one has released video of her rant.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Statistically speaking if you are waiting for the plane to take off while watching Sully and the pilot makes an announcement that they are having a mental moment, that’s probably one of the safest flights to be on. That’s just way too slapstick comedy for something to actually go wrong.

13. 5684697 Suspended

It was available for a couple of days after the incident. She came on wearing a ball cap and green blouse instead of a uniform, and made a rambling, creepy announcement apologizing about being late, not being in uniform, saying that "it's OK, we'll be safe, the copilot is going to fly, and he's a guy..." She then said that she was going through a divorce, and if you don't feel comfortable, you can get off, blah, blah, blah that's when people started getting up.

Someone should have gotten the hook on her before she picked up the PA.

UAL pulled the captain, and the flight was flown by a male pilot. I think that was sexist and UAL should be ashamed.

The most awkward thing I've ever seen on an airplane, including having a flight attendant ask me for help in zipping up the fly of an elderly gentleman who came out of the first class lav on final approach, unable to negotiate his stuck zipper in time for touchdown.

UAL was sued in the 90's for discrimination, and as a result, hired women and minorities at a much higher rate at lower initial experience levels than other airlines. Don't get your undies in a bunch, it is well known and there is nothing wrong with it.

Anyone can have a bad day. She should have stayed home and addressed her personal problems before signing for the jet.

14. BeeGood, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Interestingly enough, that event/movie actually made me feel better about flying.

I didn't even know it was possible to land a passenger aircraft on water without it breaking up.

Not afraid to fly, but I would have gotten off the plane. Yes, the copilot was flying but she apparently intended to still sit in the cockpit during the flight? No thanks.

And no, not because she's a woman, but because she's a human being having an emotional breakdown.

15. 5684697 Suspended

They were very, very lucky. That won't work in the North Atlantic, with sea states that routinely produce 20 foot waves and 38 degree water for the enjoyment of any passengers who do survive (wearing shorts and flip flops like so many on airliners do). Watch, everyone will expect the next jet that ditches to be perfect, because "Sully" proved that it was easy...

That is the level of unsophistication in the world today.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It's called ditching and the maneuver has been around for over half a century. If not done properly out in the ocean, with waves, the aircraft can break up. In the river, no big deal. ;)

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I got all the time. The scariest thing is the thought of what disease I'll catch from the unwashed masses. It's just too small a space for too many people.

The female pilot who showed up drunk should be fired and I definetly would have gotten off the plane. I get paid for all travel time and delays so getting off the plane is just good business. ;)

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah, I would have 0 expectation of a survivable landing in the North Atlantic. I'd like to think that most people can imagine how that'd be different, but you might be right.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    I've heard of smaller aircraft doing it, particularly relatively lighter fighter jets, but nothing this large.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I havent flown in a long but I have to this July. Ugh. I focking hate it. Its the worst way to travel and it is NOT safe at all. Not anymore. Corners being cut, terrorists, nutjobs everywhere. I have to fly from upstate NY to San Diego to visit my cousin. I love her and stuff but...ugh.... Ill probably die. Its a horrible way to travel too. Face it, the terrorists RUINED air travel forever. They won. Super long waits for security, hassles galore, planes are tighter than ever since the profit has been sucked out of the industry, etc, etc.

Id rather drive or just not go anywhere. I hate flying with a passion. :(

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Airliners can ditch, pilots have procedures for ditching.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't have any particular fear of flying, but I've watched enough Mayday on Discovery channel to know the pilot or equipment can be faulty. While the woman in the OP is obviously having some sort of depression/anxiety issues, she should have declared herself not 'fit-to-fly' which would probably made everyone's day much smoother. Also for what it's worth, the co-pilot does take flight controls from time to time so they have more experience.. still that assumes the captain is still able to provide flight support.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Don't think UAL made a conscious decision to replace the female captain with a male captain....

They just found a captain that was able to cover the flight.....

23. 5684697 Suspended

How do you know? In today's world, there is NO QUESTION that it was intentional and sexist. March on Washington!

The female captain wasn't drunk as far as I know. She might be now...

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think @dos Gris was being facetious.

Can you imaging all the people who got off waiting at the gate and hearing, "we'll push from the gate just as soon as soon as we find a same-sex replacement to fly first chair"?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    I had no idea until Sully did it. But that is good to know.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm not sure where you were thinking I was implying sexism. I said I don't want to trust my life on a flight with any person that was mentally unstable. Any pilot that gets on the plane, and uses the PA to rant, isn't the type of pilot I would want to fly with.