Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GodsRedemption

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
What is people's opinion on whether to get an ipad for Christmas or wait until early next year for the 2nd gen?

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Does the ipad qualify for Best Buy's extended return holiday offer?

If so you can buy the iPad now and use it until Jan 31st and wait for an announcement.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I am waiting for the simple reason is I don't want to fall into the same situation that 3G users found themselves whey they bought a device late in the product cycle. When ios4 came out their devices, which were purchased less than 6 months prior in some cases, have become dogs.

I would love to have one under the tree this year but I don't want to have one under the tree again until 2013 and I feel if I buy now it may not be the case

JimTDI

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I would love to have one under the tree this year but I don't want to have one under the tree again until 2013 and I feel if I buy now it may not be the case

Christmas 2013 is 4 "under the trees" away. If that's really how you feel, I would say wait a few months for the 2nd gen iPad.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm seriously, seriously considering getting one this week (either Wednesday or Friday). I already know I'm going to love it, and if the 2nd gen iPad turns out to have some amazing upgrade I can't live without, I'll just sell the 1st gen one on ebay. Problem solved. :)

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
At this point I would say wait for the Next Generation model. The current model has been out for awhile and with iPods they get a refresh every 12 months and I am sure they will stick with the same thing on the iPads more than likely.

brilliant

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

i'm tempted but few more months for the next gen won't hurt.

THiPad

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
Yes, I will buy one when Gen 2 comes out, then give the one I have now to my husband!! LOL!! He already loves it and wants mine!!

mproudfoot

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
The current iPad is a fantastic device and I use mine pretty much every single day (I travel a lot for work). If you are worried that you'll miss out on some super duper new feature(s) on an upgrade that thus far, we can only guess about when it will arrive and what the changes are, then wait.

Otherwise, buy an iPad now and you or whoever receives it will enjoy it.

There's far too many "should I wait for iPad 2" type threads at the moment IMO. It's a bit ridiculous.. I mean, when an updated model is announced are we going to see "should I buy an iPad 2 next month when they are released or wait a year till iPad 3?"

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I would boy one low-end refurbished one if I get a good price at a local reseller, preferably around Christmas.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Ive had the iPad since day one and in all honesty wouldn't mind selling it before the holidays, considering i'd want the most bang for my buck. That and I wouldn't mind being without an iPad til' April, as I really want the 2nd Gen...

..But the thing is, I'm not the only person under the roof that uses the iPad and for that reason, the iPad isn't truly mine.

As for advice to the Thread Starter; if you don't yet have one, I'd wait till the 2nd Gen comes out. But that's me. Yes it's a lovely device, but personally I think i'll only own one again if I'm living by myself and not forced to share it with my mom and little brother...

..@ least I still have my MacBook Pro. :apple:

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
If you really want one then just get one. If Apple sticks to their annual schedule, which I think is likely, then you're looking at another five months before the second gen is released. That's a lot of time you could be spending enjoying the iPad that's already out.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I've already sold mine to get the best price before word leaks out that this will be a short product cycle. All indicators I've seen point towards a 2nd gen iPad fairly soon. If not I'm still fine with waiting. If you haven't bought one yet, then I highly suggest waiting. Every time I've bought a 2nd gen Apple product it's been far better than the original.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
I already have one and if the new generation has some really sweet stuff (not just a gyroscope, I never use that but a hi res display and a camera) I'll probably sell mine.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've already sold mine to get the best price before word leaks out that this will be a short product cycle. All indicators I've seen point towards a 2nd gen iPad fairly soon. If not I'm still fine with waiting. If you haven't bought one yet, then I highly suggest waiting. Every time I've bought a 2nd gen Apple product it's been far better than the original.

Couldn't agree more. . .

May I ask how much you got rid of it for?

I may be tempted to bring up this convo at home, willing to sell the iPad in advance, hoping my mom would get the 2nd iPad so we could facetime from Cali and Tokyo. :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.