Who's buying an ipad for christmas or waiting for next gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GodsRedemption, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. GodsRedemption macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2010
    What is people's opinion on whether to get an ipad for Christmas or wait until early next year for the 2nd gen?
  2. maturola macrumors 68040


    Oct 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you can wait til April-May them wait, if you want to enjoy one the best devices ever for 5 months..them get it
  3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

    Jan 6, 2010
    Does the ipad qualify for Best Buy's extended return holiday offer?

    If so you can buy the iPad now and use it until Jan 31st and wait for an announcement.
  4. bruinsrme macrumors 603


    Oct 26, 2008
    I am waiting for the simple reason is I don't want to fall into the same situation that 3G users found themselves whey they bought a device late in the product cycle. When ios4 came out their devices, which were purchased less than 6 months prior in some cases, have become dogs.

    I would love to have one under the tree this year but I don't want to have one under the tree again until 2013 and I feel if I buy now it may not be the case
  5. JimTDI macrumors newbie

    Nov 12, 2010
    Christmas 2013 is 4 "under the trees" away. If that's really how you feel, I would say wait a few months for the 2nd gen iPad.
  6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020


    Jun 16, 2009
    Indian Rocks Beach, FL
    I'm seriously, seriously considering getting one this week (either Wednesday or Friday). I already know I'm going to love it, and if the 2nd gen iPad turns out to have some amazing upgrade I can't live without, I'll just sell the 1st gen one on ebay. Problem solved. :)
  7. bruinsrme macrumors 603


    Oct 26, 2008
    that is the current plan. of course this is subject to change
  8. PhoneI macrumors 68000

    Mar 7, 2008
  9. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular


    Oct 23, 2010
    Principality of Monaco
    ...Ipad on buyer's guide...

    Hi everybody,

    do you know why the Ipad is not included in the buyer's guide? Should i look somewhere else??

  10. ugp macrumors 65816


    Jan 7, 2008
    Inverness, Florida
    At this point I would say wait for the Next Generation model. The current model has been out for awhile and with iPods they get a refresh every 12 months and I am sure they will stick with the same thing on the iPads more than likely.
  11. bootedbear macrumors 6502


    Sep 13, 2004
    Austin, TX
  12. brilliant macrumors member


    Nov 19, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    i'm tempted but few more months for the next gen won't hurt.
  13. THiPad macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2010
    Yes, I will buy one when Gen 2 comes out, then give the one I have now to my husband!! LOL!! He already loves it and wants mine!!
  14. mproudfoot macrumors member


    Jul 10, 2008
    The current iPad is a fantastic device and I use mine pretty much every single day (I travel a lot for work). If you are worried that you'll miss out on some super duper new feature(s) on an upgrade that thus far, we can only guess about when it will arrive and what the changes are, then wait.

    Otherwise, buy an iPad now and you or whoever receives it will enjoy it.

    There's far too many "should I wait for iPad 2" type threads at the moment IMO. It's a bit ridiculous.. I mean, when an updated model is announced are we going to see "should I buy an iPad 2 next month when they are released or wait a year till iPad 3?"
  15. qawes macrumors 6502


    Jun 27, 2010
    I would boy one low-end refurbished one if I get a good price at a local reseller, preferably around Christmas.
  16. dbwie macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    I'm going to wait for the next generation iPad, because I want FaceTime on it.
  17. iggypod macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2010
    ^Same here.
  18. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030


    Jul 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Ive had the iPad since day one and in all honesty wouldn't mind selling it before the holidays, considering i'd want the most bang for my buck. That and I wouldn't mind being without an iPad til' April, as I really want the 2nd Gen...

    ..But the thing is, I'm not the only person under the roof that uses the iPad and for that reason, the iPad isn't truly mine.

    As for advice to the Thread Starter; if you don't yet have one, I'd wait till the 2nd Gen comes out. But that's me. Yes it's a lovely device, but personally I think i'll only own one again if I'm living by myself and not forced to share it with my mom and little brother...

    ..@ least I still have my MacBook Pro. :apple:
  19. nigameash macrumors 6502

    Dec 6, 2008
    Space: The Final Frontier
    I'll wait for the second gen with facetime. If i'm going to get a multimedia device, i could really do with the camera
  20. Battlestar macrumors 6502

    May 9, 2010
    I would buy one now as you never know what tomorrow may or may not bring.
  21. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000


    Jun 6, 2007
    Canada EH!!!
    Next gen with camera and Facetime is only a few months away. Just wait!!!
  22. Reimer macrumors regular


    Sep 15, 2006
    If you really want one then just get one. If Apple sticks to their annual schedule, which I think is likely, then you're looking at another five months before the second gen is released. That's a lot of time you could be spending enjoying the iPad that's already out.
  23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000


    Dec 20, 2009
    I've already sold mine to get the best price before word leaks out that this will be a short product cycle. All indicators I've seen point towards a 2nd gen iPad fairly soon. If not I'm still fine with waiting. If you haven't bought one yet, then I highly suggest waiting. Every time I've bought a 2nd gen Apple product it's been far better than the original.
  24. jwhite878 macrumors regular

    Aug 9, 2010
    I already have one and if the new generation has some really sweet stuff (not just a gyroscope, I never use that but a hi res display and a camera) I'll probably sell mine.
  25. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030


    Jul 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Couldn't agree more. . .

    May I ask how much you got rid of it for?

    I may be tempted to bring up this convo at home, willing to sell the iPad in advance, hoping my mom would get the 2nd iPad so we could facetime from Cali and Tokyo. :D:D:D

Share This Page