Who's Doing The Terrorizing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Now the Congress in its infinite wisdom, is setting up what looks like Thought Police. Senate Bill 1959 is up for consideration, our esteemed Representatives having passed H.R. 1955: "Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007." What's next, 1984?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/barnett2.html

Do not do anything at any protest of any government person which might affright them such that they might be "terrorized":

"“Ideologically based violence: The term ‘ideologically based violence’ means the use, planned use, or threatened use of force or violence by a group or individual to promote the group or individual’s political, religious, or social beliefs.”"

So where do Sens. Clinton and Obama stand on this? Or McCain? (Given McCain'/Feingold, I doubt that McCain is concerned about First Amendment issues.)

'Rat

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the House Bill, a while back when it was discussed on another forum. I don't like laws which, as the quote above said, leave so much interpretation to the discretion of prosecutors. Vague terms, etc.

We've already had prosecutors use "terror" in a drug case involving an effort to scare off a witness.

Same sort of deal as what's happened to RICO, or to the Fourth Amendment in this War on Drugs.

It's real simple: No. I don't trust government to act in my best interest. Or your best interest.

'Rat

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

We ARE looking at the same bill, right? SB 1959?

That simply establishes a commission within Congress which is charged with preparing a report. What am I missing?

5. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I could have misread or typoed. Sorry. I'm out of time, running late, I gotta hit the highway for a few days, so I'm out of here for a while...

'Rat

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sweet, a bill that we can use to send Bush and Cheney to prison. Oh, and how about Rudy 9/11 and a bunch of other republicans. ****ing fear-mongers.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Did YOU read the bill? Obviously not.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I believe he was making a joke. I hope he was making a joke. 'Rat seems to have misunderstood, and I have to admit, I think I'm missing something too. Perhaps you can use your super lawyer powers to dumb it down for us.