Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
After reading all the scuff gate stories who's just decided to buy a white one when they formerly wanted black?

Happy with choice?

Demitra

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
I pre-ordered 32gb Black and became concerned with scratches and wear issues. Before my phone arrived I visited local apple store and handled both phones. Scratches, Scuffs, and all that stuff aside I was really impressed with the White version. My Black 32gb arrived Wednesday and I began calling every AT&T corporate store in 60 mile radius. Yesterday I managed to locate a 64gb White version and traded up. I really think 64gb is overkill considering my 64gb 4s has never been more than half full, but I wanted White. Needless to say I'm happy with my choice!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
honestly, the only place I see this scuffing issue is on the forums. I own a black and personally know 6 other people with black ones w/ no issue. Obviously some are damaged, but scuff-gate will seem way larger than it really is on a forum where people will sign up to discuss a problem. Say there are 1000 people with damaged phones on the forums....I bet 70% of those are new users who signed up just to talk about the problem.

People are way more likely to talk about a bad experience than a good one. Especially when it comes to informing people about something bad they experienced with a product so hyped.

With that, both of the phones look great this time around. I have never been a big fan of the white, but the white i5 is sexy. However, I do love my black one and think it looks fantastic. The only criticism I have is that the thing is a dust machine. Any piece of lent/dust in your pockets will stick to the phone!

Last edited:

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Agree with the others. Scuffgate is stupid. You may at some point scuff the black, but if you drop either phone, the aluminium is soft and will mark. I had a couple of dings in my old MBP case and they were really obvious.

I did get a back skin from bestskinsever and I love it. Makes the back a little more grippy and it lets me not worry about just dropping my phone down on whatever surface. I hate screen protectors so I refuse to use one, but at least with the back protected I can always lay it down with the screen up.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
honestly, the only place I see this scuffing issue is on the forums. I own a black and personally know 6 other people with black ones w/ no issue. Obviously some are damaged, but scuff-gate will seem way larger than it really is on a forum where people will sign up to discuss a problem. Say there are 1000 people with damaged phones on the forums....I bet 70% of those are new users who signed up just to talk about the problem.

People are way more likely to talk about a bad experience than a good one. Especially when it comes to informing people about something bad they experienced with a product so hyped.

With that, both of the phones look great this time around. I have never been a big fan of the white, but the white i5 is sexy. However, I do love my black one and think it looks fantastic. The only criticism I have is that the thing is a dust machine. Any piece of lent/dust in your pockets will stick to the phone!

You're not looking close enough or your using a case. I skipped black and went with white.

It looks great and I believe the scratching will be less noticeable (when it occurs as I keep it cased right now).

Black and scratching is only an issue for those going naked. If you case it how will it get scratched?

----------

Agree with the others. Scuffgate is stupid. You may at some point scuff the black, but if you drop either phone, the aluminium is soft and will mark. I had a couple of dings in my old MBP case and they were really obvious.

I did get a back skin from bestskinsever and I love it. Makes the back a little more grippy and it lets me not worry about just dropping my phone down on whatever surface. I hate screen protectors so I refuse to use one, but at least with the back protected I can always lay it down with the screen up.

Try Glas.t

bobswika

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I also own a black 64gb iPhone and my wife does also. We have both had them since day one, neither has any scuffs or has ever been in any type of case. I've even dropped mine a few times, granted it was only on carpet but still not a mark on it. I agree with the poster above in that forums tend to give the perception in many cases that a problem is much wider spread then it actually may be in reality. Obviously there is a problem but it is just as obvious that some phones do not have this same problem. The question is in reality how widely spread is the problem. I suspect that if it is as wide spread as it appears on the forums that we would be hearing a lot more about it outside of the forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Thought about it . . .

Even made a trip out to look at the white iPhone at our Apple store, and got permission to return my unopened black one. But I just liked the look of the black one better. I missed the logic of buying one I did not like but would not show potential marks. My black iPhone arrived and was perfect, and not a mark yet. Of course, I have not checked in on our SEM yet, but maybe later.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You're not looking close enough or your using a case. I skipped black and went with white.

It looks great and I believe the scratching will be less noticeable (when it occurs as I keep it cased right now).

Black and scratching is only an issue for those going naked. If you case it how will it get scratched?

I use the phone naked....always have and always will. Zero scratches, scuffs, or anything and had it since launch day.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada

----------

Try Glas.t

It's an issue with most cases because dirt can work its way into the case and it scratches. With both my 3GS and my 4, I had more scratch damage from the case than when the phone was naked.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

----------

Try Glas.t

not looking close enough??

give me a break.. mine is just fine too.
this is becoming the ipad 3 screen tint. "you're just color blind and cant see it" "all are defective!!"

i know there are phones with scratches, and ones without.. but to say someone just cant see them? that seems ignorant.

----------

----------

Try Glas.t

do you have glas.t?
ive been curious

oscsjc

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I went white 32 only because after days of trying at 10pm, I could not get black 32. Eventhough it is not a big deal, the black is just a little more badass looking. The scuffgate stuff is BS. Look at the Apple store. They have many, many phones on display, handled by every varitey of idiot where they are fumbled and manhandled all day long. They all still look good.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I went white 32 only because after days of trying at 10pm, I could not get black 32. Eventhough it is not a big deal, the black is just a little more badass looking. The scuffgate stuff is BS. Look at the Apple store. They have many, many phones on display, handled by every varitey of idiot where they are fumbled and manhandled all day long. They all still look good.

We'll see how good it looks in two years.

Sj111

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I have decided to keep my black one. It came with a scratch near the camera but no scuffs. I had a white iPhone 4, so I wanted something different. Truth is, everything will show wear and tear eventually....so I got the color I like.:p

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Two years? Really?

How many posters here will still be worried about their iPhone 5...I'm sure by then everyone would have moved on to newer issues.

Um what? The 5S?. What's gonna be new this time around? A third camera? 20% better graphics? Let's be realistic, sir. I threw two years out there because that's the most common contract term for carriers.

You being "sure" about what OTHER people will be doing? Maybe you have some special crystal ball that we don't know about?

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
A twist on my part. Initially, I was going to preorder a white iP5. However, when I saw the black model, I changed my mind. Have had my black 64gb since launch day. It's perfect and what I had expected. My daughter got a white model and she is very pleased with it.

trophynuts

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
i originally wanted black as well. I think it looks classy San Diego.

but now i'm re thinking. Partly because of scuff gate and partly because i would probably take white right now if i could just find one in my area.

Demitra

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Um what? The 5S?. What's gonna be new this time around? A third camera? 20% better graphics? Let's be realistic, sir. I threw two years out there because that's the most common contract term for carriers.

You being "sure" about what OTHER people will be doing? Maybe you have some special crystal ball that we don't know about?

Crystal ball? I'm not sure one would have to rely on magic to realize a pattern...

iPhone June 2007
iPhone 3G July 2008
iPhone 3GS June 2009
iPhone 4 June 2010
iPhone 4s October 2011
iPhone 5 September 2012

Now what the iPhone 5s...6...17 will feature? Sure that is where a crystal ball would shed some light on the situation!

Common contracts terms 2 years...
maybe so but after those two years are you concerned about the looks of your two year old phone or what your new phone will feature?

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I considered switching to white, but I had a white 4S, and I wanted a change. I looked at the white IP5 at the Apple store next to my black model for a while, and I decided that I love the look of the black so much more that I'm sticking with it: it's not worth switching to a color that, although it's very attractive, I wouldn't enjoy as much. I carry my iphone naked, too. If it scuffs, I'll heave a small sigh and get over it quickly. :)

Vook

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Merica
I have always had a black iphone, just wanted to change it up so i picked up a white one, and im a fan of the bare aluminum. No regrets here.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I originally ordered a black one and it came with nicks along the bezel. I fought with apple to allow them to send me a white one instead and i'm more than happy with it. The aluminum look on the back is pure greatness...something about the macbook aluminum shade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.