Who's going to see DOOM?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Trailer looks good. The lead actor played the bad guy in The Bourne Supremacy.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah. It's disappointing that the monsters aren't from "Hell" so to speak, but I guess that would make it more of a horror film.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it certianly doesnt look like the best script, but does look fun! i hope to get a chance to go soon!

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i was supposed to go to day but my parents arent letting me see it because of its rating...and i'm 15 so i cant go see it anyway...ill prolly download it i guess if i can find it

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Reviews so far are saying its the worst video game to movie adaptation - ever. Yes, even worse than Super Mario Bros. I think i'll pass.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Jigglelicious said:
Reviews so far are saying its the worst video game to movie adaptation - ever. Yes, even worse than Super Mario Bros. I think i'll pass.
LOL Damn that's funny! The worst game-to-movie experience I've had was House of the Dead in theaters. *shivers*

iDM

macrumors 6502a
p0intblank said:
LOL Damn that's funny! The worst game-to-movie experience I've had was House of the Dead in theaters. *shivers*
Well now you got me interested what would be considered the best one? I saw Resident Evil and I played the game a bunch. I still liked the game better for PS, one of the few games that literally scared the **** out of me on multiple occasions. (Anyone remember first walking down that one hallway in the mansion and the dogs jump through the windows?? I nearly **** myself)

I saw an interview with "The Rock" and he was surprisingly funny cool and down to earth or so it seemed. I just assumed he was a tool.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
My favorite game-to-movie translation would definitely have to be Resident Evil. The acting was a little off, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did House of the Dead. What a horrible movie... but yeah, cool movies: both RE and RE:A.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
not me. I dont see many films unless they're really good and the last 8 or so American films i've seen have not interested me one bit, turning me away from Hollywood films actually.

That film can stick its 2 and a half minutes of faux acting and their 2 hours of effects where the sun.. um.. dont shine?
actually i think i'll watch That'll be the Day later.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
p0intblank said:
My favorite game-to-movie translation would definitely have to be Resident Evil. The acting was a little off, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did House of the Dead. What a horrible movie... but yeah, cool movies: both RE and RE:A.
Resident Evil was better than a load of movies, and by far the best of any game movies

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
making a movie based on a game that was nothing more than a technology testbed? nice move. The trailer looks pretty stupid too

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Jigglelicious said:
Huh? IGN gave it a 3/5... that being said, those who expect great plot/characterization either don't understand the Doom franchise or can't appreciate a live-action BFG. :)

And there is nothing worse than "Super Mario Bros."

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Lacero said:
Trailer looks good. The lead actor played the bad guy in The Bourne Supremacy.
Well... Karl Urban ain't exactly the lead in this movie... that "honor" belongs to Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a. The Rock.

The only reason I am even thinking about seeing this movie is to see Rosamund Pike. <rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a solid 19%. :rolleyes:

Edit: Is this edit feature new? It use to open up a whole new page, now I can edit right in the post already on the thread. Just noticed it pretty nifty!
I go there for all my movie reviews. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is, they just upgraded the forum software.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
dferrara said:
And there is nothing worse than "Super Mario Bros."
heh maybe its just the people i know but the guys at university go ape over this film. I've always liked it. remember when I was like 5 or something, read in a Nintendo magazine that there was to be a Mario film and I remember asking my dad "why do films take so long? they're only short!"
:)

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Lacero said:
Nothing worse? How about Ron Jeremy as Mario. *shudders*
ROTFL...I can only dimly remember the SMB movie, and it was BAD. At least Doom has chainsaws and little crawly hell critters in it. I actually don't know much about the original Doom, I only played Doom II on my PowerMac 7100/80 back in the day (ran pretty good). I take it the plot of the original was pretty similar? I may rent the movie, because the only un-trashy cinema around here is a Regal that charges $9.25. Regal can stuff it unless the film in question fulfilss two criteria: A) it looks really good, and B) it's the kind of movie you really need to see in the theatre.

Last 3 movies I saw at the cinema:

1) The Aristocrats (was an exception to the rules b/c it was only $5 at a university film festival)
2) War of the Worlds
3) Star Wars: Episode III

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I don't think so. When the local people give 2 stars to really bad films and this one got half a star, it's not worth even $6.50. Perhaps, I'll see it when it's in the bargain DVDs at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.