Who's Holding Out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Went to the order page. Saw the iPhone 5 with another row of icons (it still looks off to me). Saw the $300 price tag for the 32gig.

Thought: I'm paying $300 for another row of icons. This is just crazy.

Closed down the page. I'll just keep the 4.

2. mjn298 macrumors regular

I put in a preorder just for kicks since it was late and i'm loopy but i'll probably cancel it after i wake up.

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Each has to make his/her own choices but the iP5 is more than just another row of icons.:rolleyes:

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I didn't preorder but ill probably get one from a store on the 21st.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now that is stupid. You're taking an order away from someone who really wante it.
    OP, the LTE and processor are good reasons. I'm sticking with my 4S until I can check out TMobile.

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I'm holding out for a little while until I get clarification. I have the senior plan that cost less, but when I tried both the Verizon site or Apples, they did not show those plans available to me when I tried to order. Have to call later. ;)

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I kind of felt the same way but decided to upgrade since I have LTE in my area so might as well take advantage of it for the same price I'm paying for 3G now.

8. mjn298 macrumors regular

and one of those people will get it if i cancel it

doesn't really make a difference.

basically my thought process was "oh sweet i want LTE and if i buy off contract i get to keep my data plan!" and then after i went through with the order i thought "wow i just spent $650 on this for no real reason"

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you really think the 5 is just another row of icons then you don't need to upgrade.

10. chokem macrumors 6502

I want to see and handle one in the store before I pull the trigger. In any case, I won't be getting one till my Jan upgrade at the earliest.

11. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm holding out.

Until May...

Since ATT won't let me upgrade until then.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

the difference in speed from the 4 to the 5 will be MASSIVE. People who have had their hands on the 5 (media) say it makes the 4S feel sluggish

13. Unoriginator macrumors newbie

I'm a little salty about replacing my accessories and having to by that adapter which is has to be marked up at least 1000%. Plus I have a trip to fund, school to pay for, and a car to pay off.

I'll wait a few months for the hype to die down and for replacement accessories to be readily available.

14. MichaelAndaz macrumors newbie

The adapter comes free in the box. You only need to purchase if you want additional adapters.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i think that is the UK only.

16. iClive macrumors regular

Undecided

Im still in 2 minds.

I have been following the rumours, most of which turned out to be pretty accurate, and enjoyed the launch. As usual, I have got carried away with the hype, and you can see from my sig that I'm a complete Apple convert and fanboy! :rolleyes: BUT, as I was about to press the checkout button I paused and thought £529 ($650 is it?) is a lot of money for a phone...

Now, of course it's not just a phone, so much more than a phone, it's a smartphone, the best iPhone that Apple has ever made....without a doubt it is, but another BUT... I very rarely use my iPhone as a phone, the odd call and text that's all. Before I bought the iPad, much of my iPhone use was the apps, and still is now.

So why do I need an iPhone?

Status - no, that doesn't bother me

Having the latest gadget - yea, a bit I have to admit, but that doesn't justify a £500+ purchase in my book

Convenience - yes, it fits in my pocket

It's another elegant state of the art Apple product - of course it is!

Now, if I didn't have an iPad the list would be much longer...

The other thing that has been going through my head is if I had to choose between the latest iPad and iPhone, the iPad would win hands down and it's £130 ($200?) cheaper. Apart from making calls obviously, the iPad does everything the iPhone does but so much better.

So what am doing even thinking about an iPhone 5? After this self analysis, surely the answer is to keep the 4 for the convenience of having apps at your fingertips and making the odd call and text?

Well yes, but I'm still tempted..... :D :apple:

17. MichaelAndaz macrumors newbie

Aah OK.

It could have been worse though, Apple could have changed from the 30 pin connector and not offered any adapters.

18. OSMac macrumors 65816

Lightning adaptor included in Canada too...

19. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

While I'm tempted every time a new iPhone comes out, I'm seriously considering sticking with my iPhone 4. It does everything I need it to and it does it well, so why upgrade?

If my phone were my main and favourite gadget, I'd probably upgrade without a second thought. My iPad and (more importantly) my Mac, however, are my most-used tools and most-prized pieces of technology, so the phone just isn't as important for me.

I previously said I'd probably keep the iPhone 4 until its stops receiving updates, and I think that's what I'm going to do.

20. Unoriginator macrumors newbie

The adapter issue really wouldn't bug me as much if the price was 10 dollars lower...I feel that 29 dollars for a dongle is a gouging.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yep, I'm wondering if I should just replace my two iPhone 4's with a couple of 4s's. The 4s seems pretty capable and I have 'old-style' speaker docks and other accessories in pretty much every room in the house and both cars. I'd need about a dozen of the $30-40 adapters, and a further handful of those $20 USB to lightning cables just to get the same level of convenience when it comes to charging and listening anywhere without having to remember to carry an adapter.

That, and the fact that I have a sizable collection of working iPods and iPads with the old style dock connector and I just upgraded the kids to two new iPhone 4s's.

Our household would be constantly swapping adapters in and out. Seems like a huge hassle. And an expensive one at that.

----------

I absolutely agree.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Smart, very smart.

Apple continues to milk this three year old design. It might be updated, but it's still too similar. They took the easy road out, then hyped the heck out of it in self serving ways to con, oops I meant convince the public it's all new.

Stretching it out so they could claim a larger display, it's more of the same for the third year. You've got to hand it to Apple, they can sell anything.

Yet to those of us that are aware of the true state of the art technology available, we're taking a pass on this over used design.

I believe this may be the year that Apple wakes up & realizes they need to make the next iPhone better.

----------

You are 100% correct. Apple blatantly screwing the customer.

23. npro1464 macrumors member

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They'll get it at a later date though. You swiped a preorder from someone and the opportunity to get it at launch.

25. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I am waiting for the 5s - if I'm not happy with the upgrades I might consider another phone, but I doubt it because the apple store is the best unfortunately.