Who's more likely to dominate the future of technology, Apple or Google?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jul 8, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

This video makes me think, Apple.

http://vimeo.com/6712657

This what the Magic Trackpad will be. It will only be a matter of time before the iPhone and iPad will also adopt a 10/Gui type interface, at the very least to double as a Magic Trackpad for Apple TV and Macs.

Given how well Apple is doing with the iOS, the App Store, and iAds, I feel that once they implement the above interface into their MacOS, they will be the future of computer interfaces, with companies like Google copying their implementation but always staying one step behind.

What do you guys think?

2. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It has to be a company that has it's toes in both hardware and software, is deeply involved in interfaces already, and is actively known for innovation and expansion into new areas. Because Microsoft hasn't innovated much of anything in decades (and given how badly they screwed the pooch on Windows Mobile despite their enormous cash reserves in the early half of this decade), they're out.

It's basically between Apple and Google as far as I'm concerned.

Both will undoubtedly coexist. Apple as a closed platform, and Andriod as an open one. The question is which one will come to dominate in the next decade or two. Basically a replay of the Macintosh vs. Windows war in the 1980s. But Apple has clearly learned from it's mistakes and is working harder than ever to not lose the battle this time around.

The future of computers are in flexible mobile platforms like the iPhone, iPad and other iOS and Andriod based devices. And atleast once Apple has the vision to make these into full featured devices that are capable of transferring, manipulating and sharing media without the need for a computer, they will fully take over. Right now they still have a ways to go (the first thing any of these devices ask you to do is to connect them to a computer with iTunes installed to be able to activate them and retrieve your backup) but this should go away with the cloud.

Yes, at the moment there is a reason to want a big screen. But as these devices advance to the point where they can wirelessly output their screen to your 52 inch HDTV, or pack in a mini projector, computers as we know them today will be more and more obsolete, atleast for the average consumer.

And the last key to this is voice control in a usable form. Thanks to Apple's purchase of Siri, they seem to be slightly ahead of Google in this area as well.

I think it's a worthwhile discussion here...

1.) To discuss the use of the iPhone as an interface device.

2.) To discuss the dominance of iPhone like devices over traditional computers in the very near future, atleast for everyday uses.

Between the iOS, OS X, the App Store/iAds and Safari, Apple is actually more involved in software than Google is.

This is what gives Apple the advantage, they're already a few steps ahead of Google on the software side, and also well ahead of them in terms of name recognition and userbase, by approximately a 100 million iOS users and countless more mac users!

What gives Apple the disadvantage is that they're a closed platform, so they'll have to work twice as hard to stay ahead of open platforms like Android in the future. But given the resources that Apple is pumping into iOS, compared to how Google seems to largely be half assing it, Apple should be able to stay ahead for quite sometime.

3. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

That video was pretty impressive! Suddenly my trackpad and mouse seem so inadequate. Being as objective as possible, my vote goes to Apple.

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

While I appreciate the post and the video, this is the iPhone subforum - general Apple related stuff should be posted in the appropriate place, not here, especially when it's targeted at Apple and Google as corporate entities for the future. ;)

5. KingHuds macrumors 6502

The answer is google anyways. They are already in every little aspect of a lot of people life, much more so than Apple will ever be.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I think the future is "GOOPPLE"

GOOPLE will subjugate the people of the world, You will all bow before your master.

All Hail GOOPPLE Ruler of the universe!!

7. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I'll go with option C and say neither. It's likely an unknown company at this point.

8. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I don't see it being an unknown company. It's way too far along already for an unknown company to pop up out of no where and defeat behemoths like Apple, Microsoft and Google by itself. Anyone that tries will either be bought out by one of those three, or get crushed by the overwhelming resources their competitors have.

I think it would be fair to discuss the use of the iPhone doubling as a magic trackpad with a 10/Gui type interface to interact with Apple TV and Mac computers here.

I actually meant to post this over at the Mac Forum. I had both tabs open and posted in the wrong one. But I think it's a worthwhile discussion here...

1.) To discuss the use of the iPhone as an interface device.

2.) To discuss the dominance of mobile devices over traditional computers in the very near future, atleast for general consumers.

9. hippo206 macrumors 6502

For the question being asked, Apple.

I think you probably want to know which company will be bigger and more significant in different markets, and that is easy, google.

Sooner or later, all the big companies will have to play together. They might actually be doing it now and artifically marketing competition. But nonetheless, if you look at where companies want to be in 5-10 years it will require that everyone adopt certain standards.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This right here have been the greatest comment ever!!!!

google is getting just too big for its own good, as every other empire in history it will fall and it will fall hard (it hurt to say it a little bit since I love the big G and use most of their services).

Apple with its narrow view and inability to partner will also find itself dead at some point, business need to adapt in order to survive (specially on technology). also once Steve is gone it will be hard to keep the same vision. (also hurt to say it a bit, since I am a apple user, no quite a fanboy but love OSX, IOS and the iPhone).

A new company (or a merge of several companies) will come with the understanding of these principles and rule for a few years.

11. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Google will lead the market but apple will always produce quality alternative products.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Probably Google since Apple is primarily and tied to hardware.

13. feddy84 macrumors member

depends.

when introducing a new system or idea, locked systems work great
    and are often used cause people want simplicity,
    and its allot easier for developers to make applications
    and make a profit with also contribute to it getting more sales.
    but as people become used to the kind of product
    people start craving customization.

so if it continues as it is now with apples locked systems
    and googles open systems,
    google got the edge.

14. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

How so?

Between the iOS, OS X, the App Store/iAds and Safari, Apple is actually more involved in software than Google is.

Google is still trying to catch up to Apple on both the hardware and software side.

Andriod is no where near as polished as the iOS.

Chrome just finally caught up with Safari with its upcoming release.

And Chromium doesn't even exist as a usable platform yet whereas OS X has already matured and if anything is due for a surface makeover based on a Magic Trackpad 10/Gui based interface.

This is what gives Apple the advantage, they're already a few steps ahead of Google on the software side, and also well ahead of them in terms of name recognition and userbase, by approximately a 100 million iOS users and countless more mac users!!

What gives Apple the disadvantage is that they're a closed platform, so they'll have to work twice as hard to stay ahead of open platforms like Android in the future. But given the resources that Apple is pumping into iOS, compared to how Google seems to largely be half assing it, they should be able to.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The two companies named in the thread have one very significant difference. Apple is all about controlling the users & locking them in the walled compound. Trapping them in the Apple ecosystem. Then sucking every dollar from them for Apple approved, and provided content. People are already waking up to this fact.

Google is even more powerful. Cloaked as free and open, while partially true, they hold all the cards. Due to the nature of their endeavors, and unknown behind the scenes activities, they may prove far more toxic than Apple.

One things for certain, the phenomenon known as Apple fanboys, or zealots, will continue to keep Apple alive long past their useful shelf life.

At the end of the day, this is the most entertaining movie of all.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Does Google have anything that isn't in beta?

17. ElvisFreshly macrumors member

Definately Android. They are a young company making big moves early. Apple is old tech and every year falls further behind. Not to mention its too closed. Every year customization demands grow more and more. Apple will become obsolete like most companies who had the crown. The future is paved for Android.

18. hariustrk macrumors member

People said that about Google years ago. Facebook as well. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it won't exist. I've been active in personal computing since the 1970's. Things change, very rapidly. And it's rarely the BIG companies that bring the innovations, it's small agile ones.

Apple is a big dog today, but that does not mean they will be tomarrow. Not every Apple (and Jobs) idea is a good one (Newton, Lisa, NeXT Step,etc).

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is a reason why he doesn't see it happening, no matter what logic you use, he is a fanboy he share Apple's narrow view and arrogance.

As you mentioned, I remember that Yahoo CEO and management teams passed on the original google proposal saying that it was "crazy". now look where they are.

Now...i think you should remove "NeXT step" from your Bad ideas list,.,...NeXT step is the foundation os OSX and fundamental predecessor to the whole Objective-C + mobile Cocoa currently use in IOS.

20. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

22. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yeah, google has every opportunity to. So far though, it seems like they are not allocating anywhere near as many resources as they ought to to polishing projects like android or chromium as they should if they wish to compete.

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think the 10GUI is a cool concept but will need a lot of extra things to allow people with disabilities to do things on the computers/mobile devices.

Google has an interesting edge about having all what you need free and online, however they highly depend (I think) on others' hardware.

Apple has most of the times done an excellent integration if its hardware with the software and alway providing a lead UI, things that are adopted by others later on.

Unfortunately the way to commercialize products always will interfere with the development and release of breakthrough technology for mass consumption.

Hopefully when apple senses a new player that has something outstanding out there they will compete with google to buy then.

24. buggsy2 macrumors member

buggsy2

Google

Will watch the video after posting this...don't need to see it to answer.

Google will dominate. Why? Because Apple depends on Steve Jobs, one person, to make things happen. When he goes, the company returns to mediocrity.

Google, OTH, doesn't depend on just one person. It's more chaotic and less controlled at Google, which means new ideas will keep percolating from many people.

Having said that, my first Apple purchase of any kind was my iPhone 4 2 weeks ago. It's a great product of course, and though I haven't used an Android phone, I doubt it's as easy to use and carefully thought out as the iPhone. Everything simply works...such a refreshing change from MS crap software. At the moment Apple is the best, but I don't think it can last.

25. buggsy2 macrumors member

buggsy2

The video made me think, FFFFFFUUUUUUU.....

Hey--keeping track of 2, 3, or 4 fingers on two hands which are on one surface, while the response of those fingers displays on another surface reminds me of touch typing. I touch type, took a summer class in high school to learn. So sure, it could be learned. But why?

If you're going to ditch the mouse--hurray--go to something more natural, not something that must be learned. So, keep the horizontal touchpad, but interpret gestures, not how many fingers are doing what. Better yet, ditch the touchpad and use a camera on the screen to interpret gestures. We humans use gestures all the time. We don't learn specific finger movements except for playing a musical instrument or typing, very specialized skills.