Who's NOT voting and why?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Just thought it would be interesting to hear from those who will be wasting their vote this election. If any exist in here.

Sadly, some of my friends never vote. One of them is not even registered and he's 29. Another admits he's too lazy to wait on a long line and too lazy to get up early before a big line starts.

Also my co worker never votes and she's 32. She seems to think her vote doesn't matter cause her choice will either win or lose with or without her vote. I told her that there are millions of others that have that same mentality and probably affected the outcome of a past election as a whole without even knowing it.

Then you have the excuse I've heard the most. The "Both candidates suck so why bother voting" excuse. Me personally, even if I hated both candidates with a passion, I would still vote. I would choose the one I could benefit the most from, even if it's not by much. Cause voting is not giving power away to someone, it's actually giving power to yourself, community, state and country. Unfortunately most don't realize this and think they are doing the candidates a favor rather than themselves.

Voting is kind of like the doing the Census. If people in a community don't represent themselves properly, the community will not get the proper budget/funding it needs. Now, the more of those from a certain state/city, race, gender, age group and religion that don't vote ..... It decreases the power and voice of the categories they fall in.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How do they know that they aren't voting?

Are they psychics?

Time travelers?

3. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

:confused:

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There are two months until the election. How does anyone know that in these next two months that nothing will happen that motivates them to go to the polls?

5. champ01, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012

champ01 Guest

Three questions...

Did you vote for war?

Did that answer how much a vote is worth in this world?

No? then please watch this episode and reply why voting does have a value.

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I might not because my district is going to vote Republican down the line (by a wide margin) and I'll have to deal with US mail to change my voting location to college. I would have in 2008, but I was 17 1/2.

Oh, and my Tuesday class schedule is brutal.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sure if I'll vote, mostly because I'm going to school out of the US, and I don't plan on coming back after I graduate. Even though I can vote if I want to I'm not sure that I really should vote in a country I don't live in anymore.

8. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

My family have generally been Democrats although my grandma and father voted for Reagan in 1980.

I have not voted once and this naturally pisses off my dad. Personally, two things hold me back. The fact that pot and prostitution are not at the very least decriminalized.

As far as President Obama goes, I want to say he could do something given a second term but I feel like I'll get royally screwed if I vote for him.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Vote anyway and push to change your voting system to a proportional voting system.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How does the fact that pot and prostitution are illegal keep you from voting?

11. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I think the war on drugs is a travesty and I feel there should be legal brothels in all 50 states as in Nevada. There are strip clubs after all. At the very least, things should be decriminalized so that tax money can be collected from tickets.

It's a real travesty. You may find it difficult to understand though I can't put faith in the two main parties. What I've learned just really depresses me.

I'm not even a pot smoker but prescription drug companies hook people on oxycontin. You'll have to forgive me because I'm going to go all over the place.

End the war on drugs and end the war on sex. Put a stop to the morals and values bs.

I accept that you might think I'm an idiot for thinking this but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This needs further explanation.

Ice Dragon, if you feel up to it, please try.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, thanks for answering.

14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I feel like I can't sit out this time so I may do a write in.

Here's the thing. When I was young, I was told to be a Democrat because Democrats fought for the middle class. I then started listening to right wing radio and learned that wasn't the truth though what I learned about many Republican politicians was even more disturbing.

That's another cause I have. No one seems to care about the middle class. On the left or the right.

Insane as he is (and he is insane), Michael Savage had one guy call into his show and said that the left and right are two wings on the same bird of prey.

Let me clarify my earlier position.

Say you go out for a night and a cop pulls you over for speeding say 10 miles over the speed limit. He writes you up for that and then decides to search your car (you can say no but let's say he ignores you and does so anyway and finds a small bag of weed). He writes you up for two offenses (if the bag of weed is sufficient). Possession and speeding. You go to court, pay $200 and you're on your way.

Same with sex. Let's say you approach a cop and they do a sting. You're written up for a ticket and sent on your way.

And also, while we're at it. And again I'm sorry if I offend anybody. Can we please start taxing churches?

If they want to lobby politicians to go after things like gay marriage and abortion, they should pay a good chunk of the money they bring in. If they want to stay tax exempt, stay out of business.

Right now I'd like to describe myself as socially liberal and economically conservative (thus possibly meaning I'm Libertarian in some aspects), but I don't know how you can pinpoint me.

I think I'm all over the map and a lot of things I find just don't make sense.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One thing I'll suggest is that almost every rational person is "economically conservative" ... even liberals. Life teaches most people that you can't spend more than you take in. And I haven't yet run into a person who labelled themselves a fiscal libertine. The difference between the parties is really not a matter of how much is spent, but of spending priorities. It's pretty clear when you look at the party platforms, what those priorities are.

16. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Completely understandable about priorities. Basically from what I learned through history and what I read now and listen to now is I do not more of the same old same old that my parents, your parents, and some of you who are older went through when you were my age.

I'm 25 now and it is very frustrating. The problem is, while small changes are being made (since the internet often exposes flat out lies by politicians on both sides), the majority of us are not billionaires who can throw around money and use it for influence.

I love being American, I love this country, and I want to see it thrive. The problem is, I think greed (again on both sides) is going to make it crumble.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sitting out will expedite that.

18. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Yeah I totally feel you. So should I just do a write in or go for Gary Johnson (he has some positions I agree with although not all).

I just don't think either side gives a you know what.

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Politicians are people, talking. You can talk to them and sway their opinion. If the only thing they see is money and lobbyists of course you're going to feel powerless. Even in FFP, your vote matters.

This is a good video to watch for some ideas:
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/politics

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Both sides are doing exactly what they have to do ... given the conditions they have to work with.

Our Founders may have been brilliant for their time, but they created a winner-take-all system that when combined with private money has become the two-headed monster we see today. Unfortunately, not showing up at the polls won't solve that problem.

The best thing to do, IMO, is to pick the party that most closely aligns with your personal philosophy, and hope that eventually we find a way to take the money out of the political process. That won't happen any time soon. But I believe it's the only practical course.

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Contact the embassy. They can help you vote absentee.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I probably won't vote for President this year unless I find a third party candidate I really like. For the most part, I've been pretty disinterested. I'm not a fan of Obama, nor do I like Romney. Either way though, my state is die hard democratic and no matter how I vote, Obama will win my state with or without my help.

Beyond that, I do plan on going to the polls to vote on local and state issues. These are issues that can make an impact on my society and surroundings.

If the electoral college split votes of just went by popular vote, I'd be more inclined to care. Until then, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Well then push for a change in voting system and make one that puts the electoral college out of the picture.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well I'm off to vote today in the Netherlands General Election.:cool:

20 different Political parties and Proportional representation, my vote really does count.:D

25. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I moved a few years ago and never changed my voter registration to reflect the new address. Should probably do that.