Who's on first? Kelly/McMaster, or Bannon & crowd?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Aug 5, 2017.

1. LizKat, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And of course we could ask whether one of them is leaking since either might be protected by Trump. Kelly appears to have McMaster's back, so if he's leaking that will get airbrushed before the DoJ leak squad gets any new lists out of this White House.

Anyway sure looks like McMaster's got a rabbi in Kelly. Meanwhile the tempers are heating up amongst the nationalists, who are angry that a bunch of hard-liners have been booted from the National Security Council. McMaster tried to fire one of them previously, but Bannon was said to have stepped in and prevented it at the time, plus Kushner apparently also thought the guy should stay. Kushner has apparently shifted gears and so now the redoubtable Ezra Cohen-Watnick is off the NSC and so are threee other Flynn/Bannon anti-globalist types.

White House Purging Michael Flynn Allies From National Security Council

Mr. Cohen-Watnick’s resignation was announced by the White House late Wednesday. “General McMaster appreciates the good work accomplished in the N.S.C.’s intelligence directorate under Ezra Cohen’s leadership,” a spokesman said in a statement. “He has determined that, at this time, a different set of experiences is best suited to carrying that work forward. General McMaster is confident that Ezra will make many further significant contributions to national security in another position in the administration.”

His departure follows several others last month. Tera Dahl, the deputy chief of staff at the N.S.C. and a former writer for Breitbart News, which was run by Mr. Bannon before he joined the White House staff, left for a post at the United States Agency for International Development.

Later in the month, in separate developments, Derek Harvey, the top Middle East adviser, and Rich Higgins, the director of strategic planning, were each pushed out.

Mr. Higgins was forced out after writing a memo arguing that Mr. Trump was being subverted by an array of foreign and domestic enemies, including globalists, bankers, officials of the “deep state,” Islamists and those questioning interactions between Trump campaign officials and Russia, according to a report in The Atlantic magazine.

All four officials were considered Trump allies who shared the antiglobalist views of Mr. Flynn and Mr. Bannon. General McMaster, whose relationship with the president has been strained at times, has long wanted to remove the pro-Flynn hard-liners from his staff. First to go was K. T. McFarland, a former Fox News analyst, who was pushed out as deputy national security adviser in May and nominated to be ambassador to Singapore.

Gotta love that last bit there. The alternative to keeping your friends close and former FauxSnooze friends even closer is to nominate one of the latter for a stay on embassy row, but half a world away.

Moving right along on the speculation of whose long knives have the upper hand at the moment, looks like Kelly has primed Trump to make that pretty clear.

Trump Defends McMaster Against Calls for His Firing

President Trump defended Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, his embattled national security adviser, on Friday in the face of a full-bore campaign by the nationalist wing of his political coalition accusing him of undermining the president’s agenda and calling for his dismissal.

General McMaster has angered the political right by pushing out several conservatives on the national security staff and cautioning against ripping up the nuclear agreement with Iran negotiated by President Barack Obama without a strategy for what comes next. His future has been in doubt amid speculation that Mr. Trump might send him to Afghanistan.

But after two days of unrelenting attacks on General McMaster by conservative activists and news sites, complete with the Twitter hashtag #FireMcMaster, the president weighed in to quash such talk. “General McMaster and I are working very well together,” he said in a statement emailed to The New York Times. “He is a good man and very pro-Israel. I am grateful for the work he continues to do serving our country.”
    The nationalists (with a little help on social media from the Russian government!) had gone full bore hashtag #FireMcMaster on Twitter before that little set speech got made. I would say, in considering the uproar and then considering both Trump's remarks and those of Kushner, Mr. Bannon's fortunes are somewhat in decline at this moment in the ongoing battle between nationalists and mainstream Republicans in the government:

The ferocity of the attacks coming from the faction of the party allied with Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s chief strategist, had General McMaster’s associates convinced that it was no coincidence. At one point on Friday, Breitbart News, formerly run by Mr. Bannon, had close to a dozen headlines on its home page about General McMaster, like “McMaster ‘Deeply Hostile to Israel and to Trump.’”

The #FireMcMaster hashtag was tweeted more than 50,000 times since Wednesday. Echoing the drumbeat were social media organs tied to the Russian government. According to the Alliance for Securing Democracy, a bipartisan group created to focus attention on Russian interference in the West, the top hashtag among 600 Twitter accounts linked to Russian influence operations at one point on Thursday was #FireMcMaster.

White House officials defended General McMaster, saying that he has faithfully reflected the president’s views, not tried to impose his own. They noted that he was heavily involved in drafting a speech Mr. Trump gave in Warsaw describing Western civilization as at risk, an address applauded by nationalist supporters.

“General McMaster is a true public servant and a tremendous asset for the president and the administration,” Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, said in an email. “He has created and oversees a very thorough and clear process for the agencies to work together to give the president credible options to advance the president’s priorities for America’s foreign policy.”

Mr. Kushner’s defense was important because he had protected Mr. Cohen-Watnick for months. But White House officials said Mr. Kushner acquiesced to the general’s decision to remove him several weeks ago.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As long as Bannon is in there it's the same old same old. Just different names.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't mind those Flynn picks being gone...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If the question is who's leaking - I would guess it's pissed-off mid-level staff of Multiple Govt Agencies. Hell, a lot of them are openly ignoring Trump from the top...

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I have to wonder what Russia's angle is here. Do they think McMaster is too strong and are looking for a weaker replacement? Or just want to seed general chaos?

And why is Bannon aligning himself with something the Russians want?

It's just...

IMG_4226.JPG

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

general chaos? I think Trump has that taken care of. Where is the intersection of incompetence and manipulation exactly?

7. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

General chaos always sounds good right? It's like Cheerios, or cornflakes. I think maybe the Russkinetics had liked having Flynn in there, right? and it was Flynn picks been being booted off the NSC this summer. Maybe they also read in the NYT that McMaster renewed Obama's last NSA Susan Rice's security clearances... and some other ones, which he said were routine, or something and had been done months ago.

The alt-right crowd and the Russkis then went bananas saying it was proof of reversion to prior administration policies, cave in to establishment. LOL meanwhile mainstream admirers of McMaster been griping he's too much an endorser of Trump's us-first policies...

Do any of these people ever realize that the NSC is charged with looking atfer our, uh, national security? The bad guys didn't switch hats when we had an election, and it's usual for a lot of high level hats to stay parked about where they were for awhile when an administration changes hands, at least in the career civil service, career military etc.

Should put some saltpeter in the atl-right's cereal for awhle. Calm.Them.Down at least for the summer.

8. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah. As we all know, Trump installed General Chaos into his cabinet on day one, because the man does love his generals. So far, his staff have managed to keep Major Disaster away, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before Corporal Punishment makes an appearance in this White House. After all, Trump does seem to have a thing for Private Parts.

(Am I being "Captain Obvious" by posting these puns?)

9. blackfox, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, there is a colonel of Truth to your post..

*edit* Still your attempt was Admiral...

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think Russia has any day-to-day influence in the chaos going on at the White House. That comes down to Donald Trump's incompetence and ignorance.

Putin's meddling in the US Election is not going to plan. On the one hand, he's been successful in making the US and international laughingstock and pariah. On the other hand, he's finally woken up Congressional Republicans to what a menace Putin himself is.

The guy who finds himself odd-man-out is Trump himself. Any attempt to relax sanctions on Russia is going to add fuel to the political firestorm brewing, not just in the Mueller investigation, but in Congress itself. Trump firing either Mueller or Sessions would, IMHO, have a greater than 50:50 chance of starting the Impeachment ball rolling.

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Admiral, eh? Sneaked another one in there while we were sleeping?!

Grunt with a nod to the foot soldiers of the planet

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I guess it depends who’s leaking to the media. If Jeff Sessions really wants to crack down on leaks he needs to start with the West Wing.

13. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well it may have occurred to someone to amp up the effort there: polygraphs?!? :eek:
    WHMightBoxForLeakers.jpg

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Kellyanne obviously had no idea how a polygraph works. But if they want to use them, is say she and Sarah can be the poster children for that effort. Lead by example, so to speak.

15. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

My understanding is that polygraphs work by examining your breathing, heart rate, and sweat. In other words, physiological effects of being nervous or feeling guilt.

I don't really see the people in this administration ever really being nervous or feeling guilty about the lies they spread...

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Rumor has it Bannon is getting booted via suggestion by Kelly. I won money in a work pool on Moochles getting fired within 60 days. That was nice.

17. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

(my bold on that bit of your post) I am so ready to hear that leak get the big high five from the WH press secretary and cannot wait to see how it's phrased. May have to be written on flame-retardant paper.

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I can see it happening. What's more amusing is that Bannon himself is a globalist and the measures he attempts to persuade POTUS into considering are very pro-globalist. The question that's crucial, AFAIC, is who the leaker or leakers are. So far we've been getting pretty solid leaks that would indicate someone high. I think someone floated the idea of POTUS being the leaker himself. It's a crazy thought, but if I were hellbent on destroying a lot of people's careers, I'd act like him and make out the GOP a mess that would destroy it for years to come. Then there's another rumor. This one's about Pence. That he's gunning for 2020. If it gets enough traction, Trump and his hardcore supporters could start their own party and gain serious traction, presuming they don't off themselves if it gets really bad. Though it would be great from an evolutionary standpoint.

Not that I condone or encourage that type of behavior. Except to say that history has shown us those who follow a cult or cult-like group will do just about anything requested of them.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Mikey could just be building a fan base in case someone points a finger at him on collusion w/ friends of Vlad...

MikeyMikeyThoughtWeWuzPals.jpg

They might be able to organize some tailgate parties. The offing themselves comes via DUI on the way home?

Yeah somehow I don't see Trump addicts getting into the koolaid scene. More like trying to burn down the headquarters of the WaPo and the NYT if things really go south for The Don. Think those outfits already have bumped their security details, maybe not to point of having fire trucks stand by.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They are fallible and can be beaten with a little practise.

This ex-cop thinks lie-detector tests are so inaccurate he's facing 100 years in prison for starting a website that taught people how to cheat them
    ...he's out after 2 years imprisonment.

Polygraph.com

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

It's most likely Juanita, the (legally-immigrated) Salvadorian cook, the one responsible for calling McDonald's and ordering a Quarter Pounder meal for POTUS, and then personally delivering the brown bag to his Oval Office desk. She's the source of the leaks.

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Well if they use KellyAnn to set the lie detector up with true answers they will never find the leakers. You have to set up with true answers so you see difference when lies are spoken. Can't do that with KellyAnn.

23. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Bob Baer had a bit in one of his books about his CIA experience where he'd fetched in a polygrapher to try to get oa handle on whether a guy he was using as an access agent was being straight with him. The safe house they set up in was in an unstable area where occasionally there was some back and forth exchange of mortar rounds.

Anyway it was a quiet day when this gig began. Baer had figured, since the agent spoke good English, he could just catch a few Zs in the bedroom while the polygrapher did his thing. So he wrote out the questions he wanted asked... and went off to take his nap while the polgygrapher hooked up the agent to the box and began his test questions.

All of a sudden some outgoing round shattered the silence, and then another, and the polygrapher comes running in saying "That's it! I'm done here!!" and Baer tries to calm him down saying no worries the shells were outgoing... but the guy running the lie detector tests said "no, no, you don't get it, that guy didn't even blink, i can't box a guy with ice water in his veins."

I rather think some of those characters in the White House may have that feature too.

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

Quite true. If you believe your alternate truth is not a lie, detector won't pick it up. As you truely believe. Lie detectors only work on people with a conscience and a moral basis to life. Amoral people are immune from detection.

25. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

This would make a great political movie. I hope we're not watching the pilot.

otoh the GOP seems to be bent on destroying itself just by having invited Trump in off the porch.