Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you switching carriers because it's cheaper than upgrading?

• Yes, paying my AT&T ETF and going to Verizon.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No, paying AT&T full price for the 'new' iPhone.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Yes, paying my Verizon ETF and going to AT&T.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, paying Verizon full price for the 'new' iPhone.

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I, like most others who purchased an iPhone 4S, have determined it is a better option to pay my AT&T ETF and go with Verizon, as it would cost me more to buy the phone from AT&T unsubsidized.

Assuming the 'new' iPhone prices remain the same, it would cost me $649 to get the 16GB model from AT&T, and for the same model on Verizon including the AT&T ETF, it would cost $414.

Is there anyone else that's doing what I'm doing?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Assuming the 'new' iPhone prices remain the same, it would cost me $649 to get the 16GB model from AT&T, and for the same model on Verizon including the AT&T ETF, it would cost $414.

Does the $414 include the tax charged on the full price on top of the subsidized price, assuming you live in one of the states that impose this?

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Seems like way too much of a hassle with prorated service charges, number porting and activation fees. I hope you don't have more than one line. But yeah, way too much of a hassle for a marginally upgraded iPhone. Unless there's some feature that completely blows us away, which there's no sign of at this point.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Seems like way too much of a hassle with prorated service charges, number porting and activation fees. I hope you don't have more than one line. But yeah, way too much of a hassle for a marginally upgraded iPhone. Unless there's some feature that completely blows us away, which there's no sign of at this point.

Who said I was porting my number? I actually want a new number anyways, I'm sick of getting texts and calls from people I don't know, and there's no true way to block them with AT&T.

Also, I'm thinking ahead for the long term, and Verizon's LTE network has a better footprint than AT&T's.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have found through many years of personal experience, most carriers are similar. I've used nearly every single service provider in the Western USA, including MVNO's.

Now using both AT&T and Verizon, they are indeed the two best, price notwithstanding.

It's not the carrier that influenced me, but rather the iPhone itself. After upgrading annually purchasing each new model, this will be the first year I pass. While I'm sure those who buy the upcoming model will enjoy it, there's simply not one compelling feature that excites me.

It could be said this will be another year of refinement and incremental improvements. A nice new model most certainly worth it's asking price.

But for me, the fun will be watching what Apple does after this phone hits the market. I'd hope that sooner or later Apple will move away from this rather pedestrian style and allow J. Ive to do what he does best. I'd like a fresh new look incorporating a spacious display.

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
My contract ends this coming Tuesday, so I won't have to pay an ETF. When the iPhone comes out I'll be switching to Sprint, though. Subsidized price + unlimited data = happy me. :)

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Who said I was porting my number? I actually want a new number anyways, I'm sick of getting texts and calls from people I don't know, and there's no true way to block them with AT&T.

Also, I'm thinking ahead for the long term, and Verizon's LTE network has a better footprint than AT&T's.

Generally that's what people do when they switch carriers, for convenience sake.

It has a better footprint but it's quite a bit slower in locations where it competes with AT&T. Where I live, Verizon is significantly slower. We'll get 35mbps or so with AT&T and friends of mine struggle to get 15 on their iPads. So I guess it makes sense for you if verizon is that much faster or if you travel a bunch to some really small markets.

But then there's still the matter of it being a marginal upgrade over the 4s, from what we know right now anyways.

----------

My contract ends this coming Tuesday, so I won't have to pay an ETF. When the iPhone comes out I'll be switching to Sprint, though. Subsidized price + unlimited data = happy me. :)

Oh man, you really haven't used sprint if you think you're going to be even remotely happy with them....

lindsay33

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I, like most others who purchased an iPhone 4S, have determined it is a better option to pay my AT&T ETF and go with Verizon, as it would cost me more to buy the phone from AT&T unsubsidized.

Assuming the 'new' iPhone prices remain the same, click here it would cost me $649 to get the 16GB model from AT&T, and for the same model on Verizon including the AT&T ETF, it would cost $414.

Is there anyone else that's doing what I'm doing?

I would go with the second option: paying AT&T full price for the 'new' iPhone.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I have found through many years of personal experience, most carriers are similar. I've used nearly every single service provider in the Western USA, including MVNO's.

Now using both AT&T and Verizon, they are indeed the two best, price notwithstanding.

It's not the carrier that influenced me, but rather the iPhone itself. After upgrading annually purchasing each new model, this will be the first year I pass. While I'm sure those who buy the upcoming model will enjoy it, there's simply not one compelling feature that excites me.

It could be said this will be another year of refinement and incremental improvements. A nice new model most certainly worth it's asking price.

But for me, the fun will be watching what Apple does after this phone hits the market. I'd hope that sooner or later Apple will move away from this rather pedestrian style and allow J. Ive to do what he does best. I'd like a fresh new look incorporating a spacious display.

It is unlikely that the next iPhone after the 5 will be that much better or significantly different. 3g and 3gs used the same body, as did 4 and 4s, why would this be any different? Why waste the time it took to build this one (which, I guess may not have been THAT much) and do anything but a spec bump?

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Maybe paying ETF and switching to Verizon

I am torn as to what to do. At this point, it would be cheaper in the long run for me to switch to Verizon.

I spoke to a rep with At&T's reconciliation and they suggested that I add another phone to make it a family plan so I can get the new phone for no without paying the $250. That would mean limiting my minutes and paying an additional $10 a month.

Verizon has better service in Los Angeles, but am not sure how the LTE compares. Plus it would be $10 less a month for unlimited talk and text, 6 gigs a month, facetime on 4G, and being able to tether my ipad.

What to do? :confused:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Not sure why I would go to a more expensive carrier that can't even handle voice and data at the same time, but to each their own.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Believe it or not, it my bill would drop with Verizon by $10 per month (really no biggie).

According to Verizon, that with LTE, I will be able to talk and text/surf the web at the same time. Anyone know if that is true? That can be a deal breaker....

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
So a $300 EFT + $200 for new phone + activation fees and stuff = CHEAPER?:confused::confused::confused:

----------

Assuming the new iPhone is gonna work with the LTE....but SO many cities don't have it.

You can always use the 56k '3g' speeds.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Does LTE drop? Like, if the signal for it is bad, does the phone the switch over to 3G?

on my thunderbolt I can lock it into LTE, which is why I keep this device. It's really great I had the sgs3 and it would drop to 3g all the time so I sold it and went back to my trusty tbolt. hopefully the iphone 5 will allow you to lock into 4g but I doubt it the only phone I know of that does it is the tbolt

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Can't you just cancel your phone, and open a new line with the same company and accomplish the same thing?

LaurenceSext

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I hope you don't have more than one line.
a89.jpg

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

from what i read the unlimited data is at dial up speeds

----------

What are you going to do when the 2013 iPhone comes out, as you won't be able to upgrade to that with Verizon in one year's time.

just go back to AT&T?

after a year the ETF is about what you can sell it used if not less

----------

So a $300 EFT + $200 for new phone + activation fees and stuff = CHEAPER?:confused::confused::confused:

----------

Assuming the new iPhone is gonna work with the LTE....but SO many cities don't have it.

You can always use the 56k '3g' speeds.

the ETF goes down by $10 every month. it's probably $400 total for new phone and ETF after a year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.