Whose still rocking the original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAttacka, Oct 9, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Now that the iPhone 5 is out, how many of your are still getting by with the original?

2. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

And crickets... the thing is 5 years old. Most likely, the people that frequent a message board like this, are not going to be using a phone that is 5 years old.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My friend rocked the original until the 4s came out. It was a PITA, no MMS ... no fun drunk pics from me!

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I use it for my international back up phone and for nostalgic purposes. Its starting to show its age now..but i like the feel of the back aluminum. Feels solid in your hand

5. cababah macrumors 68000

I want to get one on CL or Ebay just for the nostalgia. Oh how I do miss that pixelated screen and the 10 seconds it took for all the icons to "assemble" on the dashboard when you unlock it. *memories*

6. RRutter macrumors 6502

I was using it as my backup phone for quite some time. My girlfriend then updated her iPhone 4 to a 5, and her old 4 is used as a backup. Was about to attempt to sell the original iPhone online, but figured there was no use; gave it away to somebody that actually is using it for their everyday phone, and they love me for giving it to them (aren't I such a good guy?)

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I still have mine but haven't turned it on in years.. might have to dig it out for old time's sake! :D

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I just retired my original iPhone to a backup phone after receiving my new iP5 on 9.21. It was a good 5+ years. It was always housed in a case and looks brand new.

I finally upgraded because my banking and financial apps were no longer being updated/supported. Having noted that, I feel like I just walked out of a cave, in a manner of speaking. The iP5 is absolutely amazing. Considering having had used my iP2g for such a long period of time, this iP5 is a whole new iPhone experience. My wife laughed at me for the first couple days, as I was rediscovering the iPhone.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Wow the original iPhone never got MMS, even through a software update?

That's sad, considering phones from 2005-2006 already supported MMS and the original iPhone came out in 2007. What was Apple thinking?

I wouldn't mind one as a collector's item. I also have SIM adapters so I could pop my nano SIM from my iPhone 5 into it and use it if I wanted to. It would be a bit of a step down though. ;)

10. cababah macrumors 68000

I would hold on to that original iPhone...especially since it is in such good condition.

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

No one. Do you know why? No one uses the term 'rock' as a verb. Stop using it.
    [​IMG]

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

Lol, MMS. Everyone blamed the iPhone for not supporting it, and once iOS finally did, the technology had become obsolete. Does anyone ever use it?

13. fongyuen macrumors 6502

I still have mine but the kids play with it. the screen on it is still perfect, not a single scratch even without a screen protector.

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Huh? Whenever you text someone a photo, you're using MMS.

I use it all the time. Nearly everyone I know does. o_O

15. kalexn macrumors 6502

I would love to see a picture of it! I had it and I really can't remember what it looked like or what it did vs. what it didn't do. :)

16. Brettka7 macrumors regular

17. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I really hope he wasn't making a case for iMessage...

18. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

i still use my 3G as an iPod but my original died a few years back, thinking of buying one that works just to have :)

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I didn't think about iMessage... But even then, that only works between iOS >4 devices.

I have plenty of friends with Android handsets and Blackberries; photos to/from them come MMS. :)

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

i guess i do if i send a pic to someone who doesn't have an iphone. How else do you send pics? I mean, to another phone outside of e-mail?

21. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. I too had the original and then moved on to the android wilderness for a few years only to return the the 5. I couldn't be happier with it. I keep telling myself its so damn perfect I'll be using it for the next 5yrs. Can you imagine how the 10th generation iPhone will be compared to the current one? Thanks for your post dude.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what are you talking about, i still get girls to send me n00dz. mms is the bomb
    ever since my razr

23. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

I still have mine:)

It needs a new battery & I'm not sure ill ever use it again,,but hey it's a nice blast from the past to look at...

24. matttye macrumors 601

Not me but I used to have one. Paid £269 plus a £40 a month contract for that thing! So expensive at the time.

The original iPhone was probably the strongest. It was near-indestructible IMO. I dropped mine a handful of times and once it got trampled on. Only a tiny little scratch on the screen.

Sold it as "like new" on eBay and described the scratch... got a good deal for it :D

25. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

It is in pristine condition. There is not a scratch on it. However, my 4 year grandson is now using it as a iPod Touch. Hmmmm. . . Perhaps, the little guy might be better off with my iPad. :p