Why 2011 Macbook Pros take 16GB RAM, but Apple says it takes only 8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Apr 11, 2012.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Why 2011 Macbook Pros take 16GB RAM, but Apple says it takes only 8? What kind of things should I look for (most of the online sellers show only: 16GB 2x 8GB DDR3 PC3 1333 MHz 204pin, is that all I need?) and is that RAM going to be compatible with other computers (MacBook Air, PC Desktops and Laptops)?

2. simsaladimbamba

I don't know, why Apple reports different RAM maxima for their Macs, they do it with almost all their Macs.

204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules is what you need for all Unibody MacBook Pros, it is compatible with the iMac, MacBook and Mac mini, but not the MacBook Air and Mac Pro.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has understated max RAM capacity for years. It's nothing new.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

4. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

I've got another question: Beside my 13" MacBook Pro 2011 2.3 GHz Intel i5 4GB, I've got 15" Acer PC (at least 3 years older) with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 4GB and it seem to handle multi tasking much better than the MBP. Normally on the MBP I have opened Safari with 5-6 Tabs, Mail and Skype; on the PC it's 5-6 Tabs in Chrome, music, movies etc. but have no problems even though it's 3 years older and the MBP has a better processor. Why is that?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

Also, this may help: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

6. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I've no clue how to post the screen shots I just took lol, it won't work with drag and drop neither copy/paste...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the words "post them" in my last post for a link that shows you how to post them.

8. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Got it :)
    Screen Shot 2012-04-11 at 22.43.59.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-11 at 22.43.48.png

9. /user/me macrumors 6502

10. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but I'm doing the same with the PC and it's OK, the only difference it that I'm using Google Chrome instead of Safari

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on those screen shots, nothing seems to be consuming too much in the way of resources. I do see some paging activity. Is that with your normal workload? (Safari with 5-6 Tabs, Mail and Skype; on the PC it's 5-6 Tabs in Chrome, music, movies etc.)

Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

I also noticed Safari Web Content taking close to 1GB of RAM. While I've seen higher than that, you may find some useful tips for reducing it in this thread: Safari Web Content high CPU usage: Apple Support Communities