Why 4 owners should make the upgrade to the 4S (if they can)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CheesePuff, Nov 5, 2011.

1. CheesePuff, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

CheesePuff macrumors 6502

I've read from many people out there that the switch from a current user of the iPhone 4 to the 4S is a pretty useless upgrade. But I recently made the switch, and if you are eligible for a full subsidized upgrade it is definitely worth it for these reasons in my opinion:

1. 3G speeds - this one is not talked about much since people see it's still just 3G, but from moving from the 4 to the 4S I can see much improved speeds over 3G. Apps that use data load it much quicker, web pages download faster and apps download faster. Even just navigating the App Store or flicking through Facebook is much quicker, with none if it being attributed to the processor.. but speaking of which..

2. The A5 processor - this is noticeable for me in everything I do on the phone. Even doing a fresh restore of the operating system, turning the device on (or off), flicking down the notification center or over to the Spotlight search, everything is extremely fluid and faster. Launching larger applications load nearly instantly. A lot of this is only seconds saved here or there, but not only does it add up over time but when waiting for something to process it's a huge benefit.

3. Camera - again a very noticeable difference in picture quality, video quality, and speed. To open the Camera app is nearly instantaneous were before it would be up to a 3 second wait, which when you want an immediate snapshot of something, it could be to late.

4 - Sound quality - I am on AT&T so this may be carrier dependent, but the speakerphone is much louder and crisper and the earpiece also makes calls sound much clearer.. near landline like quality.

5 - Siri - enough can't be said about it and you truly have to try it yourself to appreciate it. Right away I was asking it to make appointments and reminders with notes and dates in it and it so far has not made a single mistake.

6 - Build Quality/Parts Used - this one is also not talked about much but partly because some of it was done in the CDMA 4 model too. The vibration motor is much "quieter", it can be on a table and make half as much noise as it used to when it goes off but it still "feels" just as powerful. Also I had 3 iPhone 4's and the 4S's home button, top sleep button and silent switch all feel much sturdier and stiffer.

As far as battery life goes: I have not used the phone with 5.0 on it. As soon as I got it I installed 5.0.1b2 and for over a day now it appears to have identical battery life to my 4, and this is with location services on and no special settings turned off.

2. wpotere Guest

Thanks for your opinion, I'll wait as those aren't enough for me to spend the money and sign a new contract.

3. madKIR macrumors 6502

I would also add up to this the absolutely amazing home button: it's super responsive and well built. Then there's also a new cool vibration motor that feels so solid and it's quiet at the same time.
    Overall, it's a superb revision of the 4.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I also upgraded from the 4 and I love it

Siri has been great and very useful for me...BIG PLUS

But the speed has been so key for me too...so much faster through internet, going through apps to just checking stuff in general and twitter. Camera is also very good.

Overall worth every penny...plus my girlfriend gets to have my 4.

5. Mindy60 macrumors regular

This is a wonderful review. Thank you. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see no Apple ads talking about speed. Shouldn't they? It's mostly about the features of iOS5 and Siri. What ads have y'all seen?

6. CheesePuff thread starter macrumors 6502

I think one mentions the Dual-core A5 chip but doesn't say anything else about it.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

the new OS update has little to do with battery use. The improvement for that will come in another couple of weeks. My iP4S battery is not quite as good as my iP4 but it is not bad at all.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Internet wise it is a good 2-3 seconds faster on the 4s...may not seem much but in the tech world it is and when you are on the net alot it's amazing how much time you save over the course of a day.

love this A5 chip.

9. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I upgraded from the 4 to 4s and love it!!! I even made a profit selling my 4 so why do people get their panties in a bunch when others upgrade?? I miss my jail brake, but the SPEED and Siri make up for it. And the camera is spectacular. Just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it is! I am very happy that I upgraded. And if the next phone comes out before I am eligible for the full upgrade, oh well - I actually made a profit selling my 4 that will cover the extra costs for my next upgrade :D Plus, I can sell the 4s. People who are concerned about losing upgrades don't think about the resale value.

10. Will69 macrumors regular

I think apple is wise to market Siri and not the added speed. Just human nature. Siri gets buzz. Speed if quantified will show 3 seconds versus 5, or 1 second versus 3. It doesn't sound like a big deal.

BUT IT IS A HUGE DEAL, because it changes the feel of the phone. This 4S just feels snappy smooth. Hard to explain. A great decision to upgrade.

All those saying it's not worth the money haven't explained the question of "why not just sell the current iPhone and make more money than the upgrade cost".

The people who really know how to play this game actually save more money WHILE always having the latest phone. Everyone else is just sheep to the carriers.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

^Because you cannot sell the iPhone 4 for $450 to make the upgrade cost + you're locked in a 2 year contract.

ATT has done away with 12 month upgrades so if you got a 12 month upgrade this year, you'll have to be paying $450+ for the next gen, which 4S will most likely not be able to fetch up

12. Mindy60 macrumors regular

I have seen ads on the camera. I have a BIG problem with shaky hands. Do y'all see a big difference in how the 4s handles camera shake? On my iPhone 4 my photos almost always end up blurry and have to take several shots for that one good quality shot. Thoughts?

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

I also upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 4S. I will give the following reasons that helped me on making my decision for the upgrade.

1. A5 processor (Dual Core). This upgrade alone guarantees that this iPhone should easily last 2-3 generations without major limitations such as the original iPhone and iPhone 3G had.

2. New camera . When I had the original droid I wasn't satisfied with the camera. When I for an iPhone 4 (switched from Verizon to my own plan on AT&T ) I fell in love with the iPhones camera. In the new iPhone 4s, the camera has been upgraded to 1080P, it has auto focus and a stabilizer .

3. 64 GB..... I had the 32Gb iPhone 4 and I found myself running out of space. Fortunately now that will not be an issue :)

4. White version available upon launch... Self explanatory

5. HPSA+ ... Yes I have noticed a huge improvement with data . On my iPhone 4 I use to get around 2-3 Mb/s... Now I get anywhere between 7-9

6. Siri..... Although I may not use it as much as others... It's still another great addition and reason to upgrade

7. No more antenagate.... This means no more bumpers that scratch up my antenna :)

The only reason why people are complaining is that this iPhone has the same design as last year... People need to quit complaining. I thought that the iPhone 4 was one of the sexiest phones ever designed. I have no problem with how my device looks (as long as it looks sexy) .

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I've decided to give the 4S a miss, simply because of the following:

No iPhone was shown at WWDC this year, which made people think that the iPhone has been moved to the Fall event. However, the fall iPod event is normally September and was a month late also. WWDC focused on software this year because of three big releases, iOS5, Lion, and iCloud. Apple will need more than iOS 6 to discuss at WWDC 2012, so I think the iPhone could be back on the agenda and on it's normal release pattern again.

Just a feeling, could well be wrong.

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Sorry, but I have stood in the Apple Store with my iPhone 4 in one hand and an iPhone 4S in the other, and compared the opening of apps, the animations, etc.

Yes, the iPhone 4S is a little smoother, I'll admit that, (it's undeniably faster at loading, etc, but again it's a second or two for stock apps, and only intense apps show a comparable difference) but it's not like going from a 3G to a 4. When using the 4 on it's own, it's not even noticeable, it's only when side by side with a 4S that you see a marginal smoothness in the respiring animation/app opening animation, etc. It's also worth noting that iOS 5 restored the iPhone 4 animations to how they were on 4.0 and 4.1, a nice smooth multi-tasking tray animation (it stuttered a little on a home screen that was full) and on first launch, some third party apps wouldn't even show the launch animation (but did when returning to the home screen and relaunching).

I buy my iPhone's outright, so for £500 it's just not justifiable for me right now. I game a lot on my iPhone, so perhaps Infinity Blade 2 will make me change my mind, although it's not helping that the likes of Real Racing 2 have been made twice the size and suffered a performance hit because of 4S enhancements. It flew on the iPhone 4 on 4.x, but on 5.0 it's pretty juddery in places.

As for Siri? Sorry, it just does not appeal to me in the slightest. It's not a feature I personally would go out of my way to use.

----------

Have you seen it on here every summer?

It's the same names, every year, selling their iPhone to get the latest one.

I've not seen a single MacRumors member who's had the same generation of iPhone for three generations, even though your point is valid.

16. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

1. I have not noticed a difference, but I always had pretty good 3G speeds here with Telstra, and side by side tests between the 4 and 4S show no real difference

2. The processor is a bit faster and games a bit smoother than my old 4, and side by side comparisons of some games do show a difference, but I found the 4 still quite a good mobile gaming device

3. The camera is way better, and while I rarely take images on the phone, I have noticed myself taking a few more with the 4S

4 - I have not noticed a difference in quality, but I did note that the line in for my stereo in the car (taken from the dock connector of the phone) is WAY louder than before, giving me much better sound in the car. This could be an iOS5 or iPhone 4S change over iOS 4 on the iPhone 4. I might try the iPhone 4 this week to see if iOS5 made a difference to it.

5. Siri is great. End of story

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

The only reason I upgraded....I can finally make calls at my house!

iPhone 4....1 bar at most in my bedroom

iPhone 4S...Full service!

Didn't want to leave AT&T bc outside my house, my service is great! Plus I use a lot of data.

18. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Absolutely idiotic. There is nothing about the 4S worth upgrading for.

19. CheesePuff thread starter macrumors 6502

Just curious, did you have a CDMA iPhone 4 or GSM?

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

As I said, each to their own, but I think the 4S is an amazing upgrade for 3GS owners coming out their contracts, but I can understand why iPhone 4 owners can be underwhelmed.

Comparisons of Infinity Blade 2 on the 4 and 4S should be telling.

21. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I didn't want one cause I didn't have an upgrade, then I saw my upgrade date moved up so I snagged one. Agreed with everything above but I think Siri is pretty terrible.

22. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I'm in Australia, so GSM only here. Unlocked, no contract and using pre-paid with Telstra. Based on my last trip to the states, you can compare the coverage with Optus or Vodafone is similar to AT&T in the USA - pretty good, but not great. Telstra is like AT&T and Verison melded together, but with pretty good speeds almost everywhere from carparks in the city, highrises there to small towns in the country and most places in between.

23. amazingdm macrumors 6502

You should have just waited for the iPhone 6. yeah siri is really stupid

24. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I find Siri about 95% accurate with normal speech, and thats more than enough for email and sms replies, or to set reminders, meetings or play music. Throw in some names or places and it fails dismally, so about 1/2 my albums cant be played by voice commands because of this :(

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why do you think it's terrible?