Why A Die-Hard Mechanical Watch Lover Can't Get The Apple Watch Off His Wrist (And Why That Matters)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lg251, Feb 10, 2016.

1. lg251 macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your title says "(And Why That Matters)"
    So why does it matter that someone likes his apple watch? Honest question.

3. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the title of the article. Read it and you'll understand why he mentions it.

I'm not trying to start a debate on this topic, but share an article by Hodinkee (love these guys) that appeared to me as an interesting read for the community here.

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I've heard this piece was posted the same day as Marco Arment's, in which Marco talked about the AW reigniting his interest in mechanical watches.

I've said in another thread how I think the AW fits right in the middle of my own watch collection -- it's dressier than my G-Shock but sportier than my Rado, more functional than my vintage Omega but more versatile than my Garmin -- so it makes sense that the AW appealed to both Marco and Jack, who were approaching it from opposite directions.

5. lg251, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

It definetly has something that's charming the buyers, myself being one. I haven't put any of the 5-6 watches I own ever since. There's still a few things bugging me, but like you I find it classy, sporty, functional and versatile.

Will it ever replace a traditional self-winding or automatic IWC big pilot? I guess that's a question of taste. But Apple on it's first iteration, is already hitting a high score.

6. nicho macrumors 68000

I only owned one watch prior to Apple Watch. I now own two Apple watches, so even if I still had it the mechanical one would be in the minority of my collection.

It was a citizen ecodrive which worked perfectly for years, with no need to ever set or wind or anything, and when it came to power only very occasionally having to put it on the window to get some bright sunlight. But it was also heavy. I never thought about wearing it again once I got my Apple Watch and sold it to my dad really cheap.

I know he won't be interested in an Apple Watch because he spends so much of his time at work and it couldn't even help him there if he wanted to - all his engineers used their own iPhones with the company sim installed to make email management easier and stuff until recently they were sent back to the Stone Age and told they had to use their ancient company issued Nokias. I might be the one of the only people who knows his personal number he uses on his iPhone and I'm certainly the only person who contacts him on it.

7. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Citizen ecodrive are pretty tough watches. It's interesting to see others leaving their mechanical watches behind for the AW. Like I said previously, replacing these watches with Apple's is a question of taste and need, but they managed to design a pretty sweet time piece.

8. nicho macrumors 68000

Mine was probably a sense that it was a good time to replace it.

The heat where I'd moved to was getting too much with this heavy black chunk of metal on my wrist and I was only really wearing the watch because I had to have some idea of time at school. I'd gotten to the point of throwing it in my bag and taking it with me, and taking it off and putting it back in my bag as i left.

A 38mm Apple Watch Sport (my first Apple Watch) was a breath of fresh air in comparison.

9. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I have an Omega Date watch and still wear it on special occasions..when I dress up. I like the Apple Watch for my daily needs, since the heavy stainless steel bugs me at work compared to the knock off Apple bands that use the tight magnetic fasteners ( like the Milanese). I don't even notice I have it on unless I get a notification, check the time, or want to use it as a remote for Apple Music running on my iPhone. Also, at home, it's remote features are awesome to have on me all the time.

My main complaint is that you can't just look down to see the time because the screen is off. If they came out with a new watch that had a lower power mode that would enable just the time to be on all the time, I would upgrade.

10. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I read whole article... pretty good, almost all things that guy wrote are truth, especially about link bracelet, it is really piece of mechanic art

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, good article. It was interesting to see echoes of ideas and opinions previously aired on MacRumors.

So that could mean: (1) The ideas/opinions have wider acceptance outside of geek-land, or (2) The author reads MacRumors!

Overall, a fascinating blog. I'm also enjoying that other watch website: "aBlogtoWatch". I have to say, all this Apple watch coverage is renewing my interest in mechanicals and their jaw-dropping engineering. Switzerland should be thankful! :p

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

That gushing puff piece read like it was written by Apple’s marketing department. My SS Apple Watch was nice. But too much like a gadget to be compelling. So glad I bought it so I didn't have to rely on others opinions.

Also quite happy to have 14 days to give it a fair evaluation, tried to like it but nothing it did really worked to my liking so I sent it back. The plethora of Apple products I have each have lots of value and fit my lifestyle, Apple Watch simply didn't cut it.

Glad some people like it. Even with modest sales Apple can afford to keep it alive forever.

13. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

That's pretty much my take.

The Apple Watch hasn't caused my Sub or Speedy any sleepless nights.

14. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Agreed with article. No doubt mechanicals are great...but sometimes, convenience is more important than a traditional timepiece...and if that convenience is packaged in a very nice package, then GREAT!

Prior to AW, i love wearing Swiss because there was nothing better. Some people compare smartwatches to the Quartz revolution in the 1970s. Maybe...but i don't think so. Quartz is great for accuracy vs. mechanicals, but they can only tell time only just like mechanicals. Accuracy was Quartz main calling card. Nothing more. So, mechanicals have a fighting chance by appealing to folks who appreciate the tiny gears, hairsprings, escapements, and basically the aura of a "beating heart" on wrist. As for the appeal to pass on to your kids, this is limited to a few high-end brands.

Smartwatches, in particular Apple Watch (since other smartwatches are indeed horrible in design & execution), provides more than just time. AW provides convenience (notifications, silent alarm, instant weather, etc) and fitness. And in today's world, fitness is HUGE! For me, fitness is not just workouts...but with the useful reminders to get moving from a sedentary lifestyle.

My Rolex TOG & Omega HourVision are sitting in safe. But that's just me. My wife knows very little about tech...but after trying the AW, she shockingly now puts her Rolex Yachtmaster in safe as well. My brother has both Rolex GMTc and Sea-Dweller in safe too while wearing AW daily. My father has Rolex Datejust only on special occasions while wearing his AW daily.

Now, if my family represents just a tiny fraction of former Swiss buyers, then Swiss is in deep trouble indeed.

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I know people that say mechanical watches are ridiculous overpriced jewelry that can't tell time as accurately as the Timex they bought at Walgreens, so there are definitely a wide range of opinions on watches and their usefulness.

For me, the fact that the AW is a gadget and does much more than a regular watch is the thing that makes it compelling. No, it probably won't be passed down like my Omega because it will improve over time as the mechanical watch will continue to have value as jewelry, nostalgia, and for its mechanics. Personally, I consider them to be very different things even if they both tell time.

The one thing I really prefer over the Omega is just how easy it is to change watch bands. If I could pop off the stainless band and put on a more work friendly band in 10 seconds, like I can with the AW, I would wear the Omega more often. I went as far as buying a kit to change out bands, but it just isn't easy, so my Omega spends workdays sitting on a winder.

For my use, the Omega is the vintage Ferrari that spends most days in the garage, while the Apple Watch is the daily commuter that has all the modern gadgets and gizmos that make my daily life easier. However, they both have their purposes.

16. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Agreed. Water resistance, not having to carry a charger, no dependence on another device ... all much more convenient.

17. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Water resistance: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/05/apple-watch-waterproofing.html

40 meters ain't bad, right? But, you're right, AW is not for deep diving. But then again, a Casio is much better than any Swiss. So, go get yourself a Casio! :D

My AW 42mm lasts 35 hours before needing charge. That is like some mechanicals. I charge it every evening while eating dinner...good to go. What happens to your Swiss if you don't wear it for 2 days? Dead like AW, no?

And when i put on Power Reserve, it will OUTLAST your Swiss by a whole lot and still tell time! :) Your Swiss will be dead like door knob!

No iPhone, no problem. It still does more than ANY Swiss. Your point? It still tells time. It still can track my activities, calories, steps. It can still set alarms. It can still give my heart rate. Can your Swiss do any of this?

But you knew all this given that you own one...so, what's the confusion about?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    Why don't we go to a gun range or play golf? Want to see which breaks first? :D

18. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Let's try the same analogy where watches belong — on the wrist. After two days my automatic is still going strong. Your Apple Watch "will be dead like door knob". Do you see?

19. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Hint: Power Reserve. It will outlast your Swiss by a whole lot.

What automatic do you have?

20. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Even with power reserve your Apple Watch won't outlast a mechanical. Simple matter of fact.

I have a Rolex Submariner (automatic) and Omega Speedmaster (manual wind). The latter went to the Moon and back. Your Apple Watch can't go further than a couple of days from the last available power outlet.

21. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Let's do some math. My AW 42mm can lasts 35 hours. Power Reserve mode allows you to extend it to 72 hours when battery drops to 10%. So, roughly +/-5 days depending on when i put it into PR mode.

Rolex Sub gets 48 hours roughly. My Rolex gets about 42-46 hours...mine has 3135 caliber. Hmmm. I think that you got your facts mixed up dude.

Did YOUR Speedmaster go to the moon??!! WOW!! Or did you just get a copy of one that did? :D

You mean that NASA can send a man to the moon yet cannot put a 2-prong outlet in the rocket???? For the love of space, AW 1A draw won't deplete the battery!!! Oh yeah, that was a good argument!! :D
    Just proof of 35 hrs with 4% left.

Attached Files:

22. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

As long as my Rolex is on my wrist it keeps going. Day, after day, week after week, month after month.

Long after your last charge.

Do you see?

23. Thai, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

But your Speedy will die, no? It needs deliberate manual labor! I hate manual labor!

Yeah, i think that i can take my watch off for 1 hour per day. I will manage! :D

You never answered me. Without iPhone, AW can do so much more than your Rolex. What was your point again?

You never answered me. Can you take your Rolex or Omega to gun range or play golf or play sports such as basketball?

You see...your argument is weak. And you know it.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Your argument fails.

What YOU should be bragging about is longevity of your Swiss...that you can pass it down to your kids...that it ticks and is like a living heartbeat on your wrist. These are the things that YOU should be bragging about!
    But we all know this about Rolex 3135...the more you wear it, the more wear and tear that the movement gets...and the sooner you need to service it. Trust me...i know. Damn Rolex design a thin steel post to pivot the oscillating weight. After a few years, your oscillating weight will be bouncing everywhere! :D And if you don't service them timely, lubrication runs dry...and small teeth breaks off on those tiny gears. Thousands of dollars in servicing!

24. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

As long as my Rolex/Omega is on my wrist for couple minutes, I missed my AW, specially
    Just can't get over wearing a super dumb expensive pretty watch vs super smart jack of all trade practical watch, which get more attention from people than thousand dollars Rolex/Omega.

Both practical and get people attention.
    Not sure why do we need more?

25. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

I'm not "bragging" about anything. Nor looking for an "argument".

Your contention is that the Apple Watch is convenient. Mine is simply that a real watch is rather more convenient.

Do you see?